Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2004, 12:45 PM   #1

Nissan Titan King Cab 4x4

I am researching prior to purchasing a new work / tow vehicle and am intrigued in the Nissan Titan King Cab. As their awards keep stacking up, including towing and off road, it makes it appear to be an easy choice. However, I have heard rumors about the ladder frame racking over time when towing a fifth wheel. As I plan to purchase a 27' fifth wheel this year, and I currenty 18' tandem flatbed utility trailer with 6000-8000 pounds of construction equipment and need to be sure that there are no issues with the truck I purchase. Can anyone either support or refute this rumor. Please advise.
Brickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 01:54 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
The Titan is an excellent truck with a lot of power, hence the high conventional (non-fifth wheel) tow rating. However it is still 1/2 ton rated in terms of components. The rear axle, a Dana 44, has been problematic even for conventional towing, unless the gears are properly "tempered" under towing load. It is a semi-floating design, like all 1/2 ton trucks. A fifth wheel carries a lot of weight (20-25% of gvwr) over the rear axle and I would personally opt for a 3/4 ton with full floating axles which are a lot stronger design.
Old 12-18-2004, 03:32 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
FWIW, newer 3/4 ton Suburbans have semi-floaters in back too though they are more stout than the Dana 44s.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 04:39 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Brickman---We have a Titan we purchased a couple months ago and have put 5000 miles on it, most of which was towing. Ours ia an extended cab SE model 2 wheel drive which if I not wrong has the hightest towing and GVW of the Titans. We are extremely satisfied with it for our use. We tow a 16ft. Airstream , approx 3400lbs loaded. It tows this effortlessly as the tow rating in 9000lbs if my memory service me correctly. Am confident I could tow one with twice the weight of ours with no problem. However--like some one else stated it is a 1/2 ton vehicle and here in lies the problem. I think it only has a load capacity of about 1200lbs. I would be surprised if a 27ft 5er had that little hitch weight, especially with any load in it. My gut feelings is that you would be overloaded by quita bit.---Pieman
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 05:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Pieman,

Do you have any pictures?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 05:37 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Re: Titan pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Pieman,

Do you have any pictures?
Yes and will either send you some via e-mail or post them here. Am not sure I know how to do it on the forum. have a Christmas party I headed to now , will try tomorrow-----Pieman
PS --If I had your e-mail address i know how to do it that way. mglewis@fisi.net
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote