Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Atlanta , Georgia
How about a long term report?

How about a long term report on how the NV is doing as a TV?
Mike Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:12 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
kirkwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Steele View Post
How about a long term report on how the NV is doing as a TV?
Hi mike!! Here's the Updated NV 3500 report (via my husband "the driver"):
(Note we are towing 7000lbs full time, about 5000 miles so far)

Braking- when coupled with our tekshona brake controller, capable of stopping quickly in traffic if needed, downhill braking is solid, feels "safe"

Transmission- love the tow mode, auto shifting is fluid,holds RPMs for climbing, simple and quick manual shifting. Transmission cooler kicks in as needed, no engine heating issues.

Acceleration- above average, power is there if you need it

Fuel economy- as expected. 11.5mpg if running RPMs around 2100. Negative is small fuel tank- only 25 gallons!! We seemingly stop all the time for fill ups.

Comfort- seat and driver's cockpit are very very comfortable (upgraded comfort package), we removed the center console as well. The high roof is awesome. We soundproofed the entire cabin which makes it very quiet and nice. It is a LOUD metal box without it.

Handling- steering is responsive and quick, sure footed, easy to maneuver the airstream due to short wheelbase even in tight spaces, "A+"

Stability- Quite stable, especially given the high roof. Winds and passing semi's barely affect the rig.

Climbing- easily capable of running any pass we have ascended in the Rockies so far. Steep grades run the RPMs around 4000.

Tires- OEM Firestone tires okay in rain, quiet. Bad in mud (lol). We will probably switch out to Michelin Ltx-ms2

Suspension- We are carrying 1200lbs (motorcycle + gear) over the rear axle, feels solid and beefy, stiff + probably 700lbs on the tongue. Big one ton is not overkill.

Towing- overall "A" rating. The NV is stout and capable and makes towing easy.

As you can tell we are happy and satisfied with the NV. We know it looks a little funny but we don't care, it has been perfect for what we are doing. We have the conversion pics on www.epicdetour.com.
Let me know if you have specific questions!!
epicdetour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:52 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Anacortes , Washington
I'm excited to have found your thread! We have a high roof 2013 NV2500 the same color as yours which we bought with plans to tow an Airstream. I just put a deposit on a 25' RB and picking it up next month. I'm hoping the 1/2 ton will be fine for what we are towing and hauling and it has the tow package like yours.

We also have a motorcycle to take with us which was a major factor in our selection for a tow vehicle, (along with that I just retired after 30 years with Nissan). We just need to get a couple of bikes and we will be all set.

All I have done so far with the NV was to upgrade the sound system with a Pioneer 4000 NEX head unit plus speakers and especially a backup camera since our NV didn't have the nav package.

I'm thinking about installing a bulkhead behind the seats to help guard against flying objects and to contain possible gasoline fumes but still thinking about it.

How did you fasten the plywood floor? I would like to install plywood flooring as well but with tie-down track such as E-track or L-track for securing the motorcycle but not sure about the overall anchoring system. I thought about bolting down the plywood using the same bolts as for the D-rings hoping it would be enough.

I'm also studying insulating the walls and roof. Are you happy with what you have done or is there anything you would change?

I appreciate what you documented on your website...very informative!
Carmen214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:15 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
kirkwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen214 View Post
I'm excited to have found your thread! We have a high roof 2013 NV2500 the same color as yours which we bought with plans to tow an Airstream. I just put a deposit on a 25' RB and picking it up next month. I'm hoping the 1/2 ton will be fine for what we are towing and hauling and it has the tow package like yours.

We also have a motorcycle to take with us which was a major factor in our selection for a tow vehicle, (along with that I just retired after 30 years with Nissan). We just need to get a couple of bikes and we will be all set.

All I have done so far with the NV was to upgrade the sound system with a Pioneer 4000 NEX head unit plus speakers and especially a backup camera since our NV didn't have the nav package.

I'm thinking about installing a bulkhead behind the seats to help guard against flying objects and to contain possible gasoline fumes but still thinking about it.

How did you fasten the plywood floor? I would like to install plywood flooring as well but with tie-down track such as E-track or L-track for securing the motorcycle but not sure about the overall anchoring system. I thought about bolting down the plywood using the same bolts as for the D-rings hoping it would be enough.

I'm also studying insulating the walls and roof. Are you happy with what you have done or is there anything you would change?

I appreciate what you documented on your website...very informative!
Carmen-

We think you've made a good choice with the NV! But let me tell you, converting it took some work.

We are very happy with the soundproofing and insulation. We checked the decibels before and after: went from around 76 to 60, huge difference. The rig is very quiet. We used dynamat (very expensive but worth it) and put it everywhere, even inside the walls where we could reach. We then used denim insulation inside the walls, and then layered everything with reflectix. You probably saw all that on the website so I apologize for being redundant.

We secured the plywood floor with 1" metal self tapping screws, about every 12" or so in a grid. You won't hit anything underneath because Nissan suspended it all down 3". We used D rings bolted through and double nutted underneath. We bolted the moto wheel chock down with 8 huge bolts and again double nutted from underneath. It's tied down in 6 places: 2 from the front triple tree and 2 in the rear, plus 2 from the sides of the NV itself. It does NOT MOVE.

As far as a bulkhead- we thought about that too but really like how open the rig is and being able to get up and check our gear while driving is helpful. We also travel with a 75lb dog and didn't know how we would all fit up front, lol. We took out the center console so we could get to the back freely. We have had no gas smell, but we don't have gas cans inside.

The paneling inside took the most work being hand measured and cut as well. But it looks nice!! We've hung tracks on the walls and have lots of storage up high.

Post pics when you get it done!! We are interested in what everyone else is doing. ))
epicdetour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:09 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Anacortes , Washington
Thanks for sharing your work...it looks great! I used some Dynamat on the front doors and on the front sheet metal above the cab when I did the work on the stereo. It really cut down on hearing all of the large bugs and such hitting that sail. As you say Dynamat is expensive but it's effective.

I will share what I have done once I quit thinking about it and actually start building it out

Bob
Carmen214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:11 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Just visited your blog and very nice work on van and stream.

We will also be in the market for a new tow vehicle within the next 5 yrs and will watch the NV. Have considered a cargo type van for a while now.

Just read a nice write up on Quigley's Nissan NV 4x4 conversion.

Still not over the visual appeal but sometimes odd can grow on you.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote