Old 06-23-2016, 05:38 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Edmond , Oklahoma
If you research that "Cummins" you find it has more in common with the diesels found in your nearest Mercedes-Benz SUV than what's found in the 2006 Dodge 3500 passing you on the interstate, pulling 4 cars on its trailer. Those Cummins are legendary, making a pickup truck look like an ant hauling around something massive. Unfortunately due to EPA regulations those diesels are not built anymore and we are left with choking clean diesels that require major overhauls after 100k miles or sooner.

But if not comparing the Nissan xd to a pre-dpf Cummins, they are a great engine for running a boat or trailer a little ways out of town.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:03 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Bought a Titan XD with the Cummins just after Memorial Day. Towed our 2014 25 EB with it twice now, each time about 200 miles round trip. It tows great. Felt more powerful the second time. Now have about 2600 miles on the truck. It is my daily driver commuting in heavy traffic too. Rides nearly as good as the Mercedes GL350 I traded it in for.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:56 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

PACIFICA , California
Go buy a nice used 2009 Chevy 2500HD with the duramax and Allison trans for that kind of money. I have an 05 and it drives like a Cadillac, turns well, great interior, Reliable, and 2009 was the last year before all the DEF emissions crap. I can't fathom why people buy 1/2 ton trucks, you can't even put a ton of gravel back there or do any REAL work with them. Maybe it's just cause I'm a hick and have to tow 10k plus often but, it just doesn't make sense to spend that and not get a real HD truck.

And I've owned a Titan... Great engine, but worst overall drivetrain I've ever owned. Bought the duramax in 09 after the Titan and I wouldn't trade it for anything!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	267693  
Old 07-25-2016, 12:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothy View Post
Go buy a nice used 2009 Chevy 2500HD with the duramax and Allison trans for that kind of money. I have an 05 and it drives like a Cadillac, turns well, great interior, Reliable, and 2009 was the last year before all the DEF emissions crap. I can't fathom why people buy 1/2 ton trucks, you can't even put a ton of gravel back there or do any REAL work with them. Maybe it's just cause I'm a hick and have to tow 10k plus often but, it just doesn't make sense to spend that and not get a real HD truck.

And I've owned a Titan... Great engine, but worst overall drivetrain I've ever owned. Bought the duramax in 09 after the Titan and I wouldn't trade it for anything!
Actually you want an early 2007 model...before Exhaust particulate filters were mandated. Also, FYI, my 1500 Chebby will haul 2034# of gravel. Pretty sure that's a ton, isn't it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151125_080838.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	267695

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:42 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

PACIFICA , California
Agreed that 07 is the best, dpf and def emissions systems are sucking the life out of all these great trucks. I've slowly done all the emissions delete stuff on my truck and it's never run better! 180K and I cannot see this thing skipping a beat in the next 100K other than normal stuff.

About your 1500- I'd call that nearly a ton. You can haul 2034# minus your weight and that of any crew and any other equipment on board, and you CANNOT tow a trailer while loaded. What happens when you need to pick up a load of gravel and a mini-ex at the same time?

Chevy 1500s are undoubtedly the most HD of the 1/2tons. I also have a 2004 F150 that I refuse to put more than 1K in, its kind of useless for anything other than tooling around the ranch. On 1/2 ton trucks usually the weight rides on the axles and I would never want to max those "little" parts out.

Honestly, many vehicles will be fine to tow an AS with, but if it's costing near $50K and taking up a spot in my driveway, it will for sure be a proper HD truck that can do what I need. Plus, just look at the resale on the HD diesels, I bought my 05 for $20K in 09 and could probably sell it for that today.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:41 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothy View Post
Agreed that 07 is the best, dpf and def emissions systems are sucking the life out of all these great trucks. I've slowly done all the emissions delete stuff on my truck and it's never run better! 180K and I cannot see this thing skipping a beat in the next 100K other than normal stuff.

About your 1500- I'd call that nearly a ton. You can haul 2034# minus your weight and that of any crew and any other equipment on board, and you CANNOT tow a trailer while loaded. What happens when you need to pick up a load of gravel and a mini-ex at the same time?

Chevy 1500s are undoubtedly the most HD of the 1/2tons. I also have a 2004 F150 that I refuse to put more than 1K in, its kind of useless for anything other than tooling around the ranch. On 1/2 ton trucks usually the weight rides on the axles and I would never want to max those "little" parts out.

Honestly, many vehicles will be fine to tow an AS with, but if it's costing near $50K and taking up a spot in my driveway, it will for sure be a proper HD truck that can do what I need. Plus, just look at the resale on the HD diesels, I bought my 05 for $20K in 09 and could probably sell it for that today.
We are on the same page and have nothing to disagree about.. I was just pokin' a stick at ya!

The 2034 includes a driver and full fuel, but nothing else. So, if I arrive at the quarry with just me and fuel I actually can put in 2004 pounds of gravel. 1/2 tank of fuel...Almost 2100# of gravel!

Moot point anyway, no gravel in my truck. It was bought to be a Caddy with an extra large open air trunk. I demo'd all the configurations before choosing my "retirement keeper truck". No question the 2500 Dmax is the best of the lot. 2500 gas was better for payload, but I just didn't want the old powertrain. It works fine, no issues and pretty bullet proof, just a bit antiquated for my taste. And to cap it off, unfortunately, every time I demo'd a 2500, my wife's sciatica would flare up. Just enough higher and different twist to get in that it wouldn't work, long term.

I LOVE, LOVE the 6.2L w/8 speed Maxtow. Where I do 90 - 95% of my towing it does 90% of the job of the DMax, and only gets 1 mpg less while towing. I am under weight on all specs with ALL my toys loaded, but just by a hundred pounds on the rear axle.

It is definitely a more pleasant daily solo driver and the wife actually likes trucks (or at least this one) now. And you're right, I could have gotten an LT Dmax with just a few creature comforts for what I got the LTZ loaded Maxtow 1500 for. That was a wash. Maintenance will be cheaper with the 1500....fuel higher.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:28 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Quebec , Quebec
I took this one in consideration but the price is the same as an american truck with a much better diesel engine and much more capacities. The Titan may be more reliable but it is not demonstrated yet.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:50 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toutsi 1957 View Post
I took this one in consideration but the price is the same as an american truck with a much better diesel engine and much more capacities. The Titan may be more reliable but it is not demonstrated yet.

Sorry can't resist to troll a bit. Which American truck? Hopefully not the Italian-owned Dodge? I'm actually kind of big into American made products but tend to focus on location of manufacturing and/or where the raw materials are produced rather than what nation the CEO of the company chooses (not) to pay taxes in.

The Nissan is assembled in Mississippi by a Japanese owned company. They have an engine assembled in Indiana by an American company. The transmission is also assembled in Indiana in this case by a Japanese company. The rear axle is manufactured in Michigan by an American company. Feels pretty American - maybe the primary difference is that the truck manufacturing line is not staffed by union workers.

That said, your comment regarding unproven hardware is reasonable. So far I've been happy with the truck as a first model year vehicle. Rather than consider it a 5/8-ton truck, I consider it more of a 3/4-ton truck with a 1/2-ton suspension and all the good and bad that come from creating a truck like that.