Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #1

Cantonment , Florida
Next question ... tires

You all are very helpful and I appreciate your advice.

OK, same tv: 2009 f150, screw, 20" wheels.

It is almost time to get new tires. Should I consider LT tires over 'regular' tires if I plan to tow a 5000 lb trailer? Is there a preferred brand?

If I buy a used trailer, at what age do the trailer tires need to be replaced?
skipperbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
I would absolutely go with LT tires on the truck. I really like the Michelin LTX A/T2 all-terrains that came on my truck. You'll need to open the wallet real wide for those 20" wheels though.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I think you are referring to the trailer tires when you ask what type? I can't offer much advice there as I just use regular trailer tires - I did put new ones on last year though, and bought a load range higher than I really need. Believe they are LR E.

I did that because the weight of my trailer weas getting up near the top of the range for
what I previously had on so I felt it might buy me a little extra margin of safety.

I did want to replace the Marathons that came with the trailer because I heard so many horror stories - although mine were still fine when I changed them.

Bought the new ones at Jackson Centre and I thin they are called Towmaster or something similar.

As for when to change tires, many sources recommend about 5 years and that is what I do.

On a previous trailer I had tires fly apart (They were Marathons!) but at that time I wasn't aware of the age factor - I just felt that if the tires had tread and no sidewall cracks I was good to go.

I now know better!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I have Maxxis tires on my trailer. Load range "C" I believe and they have served me well. I would buy them again unless I opted to go "LT". Too many horror stories about the GYM's for me. My local tire shop here in NJ could not get me a Maxxis when I was getting one for a spare and I had to go on the NET and get one. I think my spare was load range "D" though.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote