Old 06-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Next gen GM 1/2 ton diesel???

Anybody else, besides me, excited by Reuss's (Pres. of GM North America) statement that a diesel option may be included in the redesigned 1/2 ton pickups coming out next year? I'll be getting a new TV then and I think that this option just moved GM to the top of my list.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
I've long thought that a small/efficient diesel in the 150/1500 pickups would be a great option. The danger I see is that they'll do what they've done in the HD trucks and play the numbers game, since in general it's easier to sell people on "yours will be bigger than your neighbor's!" than "you'll spend less money on fuel than your neighbor."

A 150/1500 pickup with about 250 hp/450 lb-ft of torque from a small V6 turbodiesel would be great. With the right transmission and diff, it could be highly efficient and capable of doing more towing than any Airstream would ever need. I'm concerned that they'd shoot more for 350 hp/650 lb-ft of overkill with a small V8, get mediocre fuel economy at a much higher price than a competent gasser, sell very few examples and kill the engine after 1 model cycle.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Clearly the devil will be in the details here!
Old 06-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
A) I will believe it when I see it
B) I am no longer a fan of GM for a variety of reasons.
C) Ford was going to bring out a 1/2 t diesel a few years back before the recession haven't heard anything since.
I have driven a non US spec 4 door Ford Ranger diesel and wish we could get them here. The last small diesel I had was an Isuzu P'up 4x4. Unfortunately Americans in general are hung up on huge and power.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
PS: Having read an article about it I found at Automotive News, I'd say I'm even more concerned that GM is going to put too much engine in it. They're planning to treat the redheaded stepchild (Colorado/Canyon) as the product for people who are conscious of fuel consumption and leave the Silverado/Sierra as the "workhorse".

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
I'll believe it when I......it may be in tieland now.

The Diesel Suburban....2007

GM's New Technology 4.5 Turbo Diesel Truck & SUV Video - YouTube

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
What Bob said. ^^^
Old 06-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Very cool - definitely a step in the right direction. Between this, and the Ford Ecoboost, and the Fiat diesel van that Chrysler is said to be selling soon, there is a nice selection of new tech/high efficiency products coming to the market. It will make tow vehicle shopping much more interesting in the near future.
Let's see what vehicles the new engines are offered in - I bought my Sprinter when I replaced a Ford van. I was going to buy a Ford diesel, but the diesel was only available in a one ton van, then you added the diesel premium. It made the Ford over 6k more than the Sprinter which had all of the capacity that I needed.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Cummins has made a 4 cylinder version of their straight 6 for years. I believe it's basically the 5.9L with two cylinders lopped off. Something like that would be pretty sweet for a half ton truck.

I get 21mpg with my Cummins powered Ram crew cab long bed 4x4. I would want a half ton to get no less than 28mpg highway cruising empty.

GM had a really cool half ton diesel they were talking about five years ago. It never happened.

We shall see!
Old 06-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Small diesel interest rises and falls with the price of gasoline.

Ford's Ecoboost has dampened small diesel enthusiasm there, now expanding to more models.

I would expect American competition to VW, Mecedes, and BMW diesel SUV's which happen to be sized very well to tow most Airstreams, and be a family sedan as well.

doug k
Old 06-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Hope it's not like that dandy of the 70's when they put a few more bolts in the head of a gasser and called it a diesel...

"I'd rather be happy for just one day than miserable for the rest of my life."
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Small diesel interest rises and falls with the price of gasoline.

Ford's Ecoboost has dampened small diesel enthusiasm there, now expanding to more models.

I would expect American competition to VW, Mecedes, and BMW diesel SUV's which happen to be sized very well to tow most Airstreams, and be a family sedan as well.

doug k
That has been very true. BUT, the new wrench in the works is 28mpg CAFE regulations in 2016. If you don't want it, you're still gonna get (something), 'cause the G man says so!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
What I would like to see is this rumored engine, if it's really around 300hp and 500ish lb/ft torque, is an option in the 2500 as well. I need the payload and GRAWR of a 3/4, but don't need all the umph of the 6.6. If the small diesel got significantly better mileage (presumably), I would be very happy with 300/500.....with an 8 speed trans!!!!!!!!

That would be AWESOME!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 08:48 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
Colchester , Vermont
Yes Folks - a few years ago they brought out a Diesel Suburban, but it never made production (sadly). One can only hope GM will take the leap...of course, they wll likely wait for Dodge to test the waters on the 1/2 Ton Diesel.

Tags
1/2 ton