Old 05-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #29
Rivet Master
1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Originally Posted by newroswell View Post
Crude way to judge a vehicle, I know, and certainly not the only way to select one.
Excellent point actually. The larger the differential, the better it dissipates heat. When towing, heat is your biggest enemy. The hotter a part of your tow vehicle runs, the more likely it is to fail.

AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
1997 Chevy C3500 Crew Cab Dually 6.5L Turbo Diesel
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #30
Rivet Master
1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
We pull our 28 ft Ambassador with a 2001 Excursion Limited, 4x4, V-10...we looked around and waited till we found what we wanted...

These big SUV's are dirt cheap these days, and you can find some great deals out there - the auto dealers don't give 'squat' for these at trade-in time, so you can take advantage of a great TV at a modest price!

We wanted the V-10 engine, and most Excursions were loaded with options when sold new (up to 2005). Ours had about 115K miles on the 'clock', and runs like 'new'...check em' out...Ford also has just about the best side mirrors as standard equipment on these models!

This SUV pulls the AS without any problems - and I like the idea that the TV is a heavy, stable platform for we have lots of room for our stuff inside it's lockable cabin...I've added a front hitch receiver so I can maneuver the AS into a tight spot if needed...

We get just under 10 MPG average, when towing the AS...when we're towing at about 55 MPH, on the level, resetting the computer shows that the MPG runs about 12...starting and stopping accounts for the lower overall average, of course.

Good luck in your search...

Ray & Pat; Morada, CA
Mexray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #31
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Well here is another country heard from.Let me tell you,U said something about stupid questions.The only stupid questions are the ones you DON'T ASK.
I'm with the majority here I think,when I say if you are sure you will windup with anything over 25 ft I'd go with anything 3/4 ton BURB /2500 series/F250 any Brand, Choose what has the features you like.
These things are a dime a dozen and a pain in the rear to dealers.So with the economic times the way they are THEY WILL Wheel and Deal.
Our/my personal preference was a 1ton Single Wheel CrewCab(4dr) longbed.When hooked up and ready to roll, the rig weights in at 13,800 lbs.We travel with 3 small dogs and have plenty of room.
Our fuel mileage is 17 towing and 20 when not,highway mileage of course.
ITS a 7.3 liter diesel with 3:73 ratio rear gears. We get a great ride.
GOOD LUCK with what ever you decide. There are lots of experiences here so weight them and buy more than you will need to do the job. We have no regrets with our truck.
Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #32
1985 25' Sovereign
lake lure , North Carolina
Hello again, Well, We made the leap!!! Bought the Airstream and the TV !!! Packing all the "stuff" and getting ready for a short trip next week to a local RV park that caters to dogs... cant wait . We have it parked outside our house at the moment and have already had the neighbors over for "cocktails in the "Silver Clipper Lounge"!!! Thanks for all the advice and thoughts... I think we made a good decision... Hope we see some of you on the road!!! See Ya, Gail, John ..dogs Zeke,Danny and parrot , Cairo.
stormywx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:22 AM   #33
1985 25' Sovereign
lake lure , North Carolina
Oh Yea..... The TV..... 2002 Ford Excursion! and a Beauty !

stormywx is offline   Reply With Quote