Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
The spec's say the LR4 with towing package is good for 7700lbs. It weighs 5600lbs itself, and a GVW of 7100lbs, so you've got 1500lbs of payload (and trailer hitch weight) to play with. 4 people and their crap is easily 1000lbs, so you need to keep the tongue weight less than 500lbs. Anyway, all these specs add up to being right on the edge of what a 25' Airstream is going to give you... but it's doable.

As far as who is wagging what... your LR4 is about 9 inches less wheelbase than my Sequioa... but otherwise pretty close in specifications. Lots of people tow 25's with Sequioas, Tahoes, Cherokees... Pulling a big trailer requires a big change in driving, no matter what you have for a tow vehicle. You can easily double the weight your motor is pulling, and even with trailer brakes the extra load on the vehicle is huge.

Whatever you go with, just take your time and relax. A lot of these crazy problems people are trying to solve come with trying to pull down the interstate at 85mph and act all surprised when their trailer flies off the road.

You can have a lot of fun and not piss too many people off enjoying a nice 55mph cruise.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Lake Forest Park , Washington
echo44,

I hope you have gained from these responses to your post. Please do post a follow up, so we can all learn from your experience. Reports of actual results are of great value.

Interesting how the tow vehicle, hitch, towing topic can stir up such interest in this and other forums. Also it is one of several topics on which opinions are held strongly!

Cheers,

Charlie
aircampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1998 19' Bambi
Parkville , Missouri
I think "Andy" would set up a Fiat 500 Abarth so it would tow a 19ft Bambi....
MoBambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #44
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBambi View Post
I think "Andy" would set up a Fiat 500 Abarth so it would tow a 19ft Bambi....
Well let's all wish him a Happy

Day then...the praise is without end.

Bob
Old 03-15-2012, 06:33 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

chicago , Illinois
follow up.
from reading these forums i have learned that my local dealer might
not be the best place to buy a AS. I talked with Andy's dealer and they do not
have the model I am looking for and are a little expensive. So I also checked out
colonial air stream in NJ they have a hugh selection of AS great prices. Also seemed
to have extensive knowledge about The LR4 and hitches. Like Andy they recommended a weight distribution hitch and have done my model vehicle in the past. I am leaning
towards a 23 FB anyway with is well within in the specs of my vehicle even so both NJ
dealership and Andy recommend changing the hitch so thats what I will do if I purchase
one of these. I definitely notice both the NJ Colonial dealership and Andy seem to
know what they are talking about not just hitch wise but also knowing much info regarding the AS
echo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:59 AM   #46
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
echo44

Colonial is definitely a good choice, you can expect the best.

Good luck on your new adventure!!

Bob
Old 08-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #47
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo44
follow up.
from reading these forums i have learned that my local dealer might
not be the best place to buy a AS. I talked with Andy's dealer and they do not
have the model I am looking for and are a little expensive. So I also checked out
colonial air stream in NJ they have a hugh selection of AS great prices. Also seemed
to have extensive knowledge about The LR4 and hitches. Like Andy they recommended a weight distribution hitch and have done my model vehicle in the past. I am leaning
towards a 23 FB anyway with is well within in the specs of my vehicle even so both NJ
dealership and Andy recommend changing the hitch so thats what I will do if I purchase
one of these. I definitely notice both the NJ Colonial dealership and Andy seem to
know what they are talking about not just hitch wise but also knowing much info regarding the AS
Echo,

Can you please provide another update. I have a lr4 and just read this entire thread. Great info. My wife and I are thinking about a 19 as and I never thought about hitch problem.

Did you change the receiver and hitch? How is it driving on the highway, mountains and pastures?
Astw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #48

Westchester , Kalifornia
I tow with an FJ

Hello!

I tow my 23 foot Airstream International with a slightly modified 2007 FJ Cruiser...the "taboo" tow vehicle of all time. Yes it has a short wheel base but acceptable, below mods are what I did to make my truck work for me:

Transmission Cooler ( FJ's dont come with one )
Reese Hitch ( FJ's hitch was junk)
Air Ride bags in the rear only to help level the truck when loaded
WD system with sway control

Prodigy II brake controller

I live in Socal and haul my rig up to the high desert on weekends. It tows fine. I do feel it back there from time to time but never had a sway, have done medium to heavy breaking with the Prodigy and it works well. I climb quite a grade going up and coming back but just stay in my nice slow lane to the right and do 65 MPH and let the world go by. Crossing the high desert out by Edwards AFB generates a stout cross wind almost every day and the trailer pulls just fine.

Would I go to Colorado and descend a snowy road.....no but I would not do that in any tow vehicle.

For me bottom line is research as you have and adjust accordingly/safely. I am going to by my wife an LR4 soon and use it as a second tow vehicle after adding the Prodigy II and evaluating the factory hitch.

Drive safe everyone....you cool dudes with big tow vehicles wave to me as you pass by please....I am the little guy with the cool FJ and the SWEET Airstream behind it.

Socal1 is offline   Reply With Quote