Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Houston , Texas
Newbie Towing Question...the ancronyms are running together!!!

Thanks in advance!

All the ancronyms are running together... I'm trying to figure out if I can tow a 1986 29' Sovereign with my 2007 Ford Expedition.

The Expedition has a 5.4L V-8 engine, the heavy duty tow package, and some sort of air suspension system. It's GVWR is 7,400lbs. On the hitch, I see a rating of 6,000lbs, and 9,200 lbs weight distributing.

The Sovereign has a dry weight of 5300lbs, and a hitch weight of 620lbs per the Airstream literature. I've seen people use the phrase "tongue weight" on the forums, but can't find that particular term in the documentation I've found for this trailer.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

texasscott40 t
TINLOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:12 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your question tongue weight and hitch weight are the same thing.

The different towing capacities are with or without weight distributing equipment. The higher figure is with this hitch equipment.

You are going to need a quality weight distribution/sway control hitch system. You will also need a quality trailer brake controller for you tow vehicle.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:14 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Newbie Towing Question...the ancronyms are running together!!!

Greetings texasscott40!

Welcome to the forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasscott40 View Post

All the ancronyms are running together... I'm trying to figure out if I can tow a 1986 29' Sovereign with my 2007 Ford Expedition.
There are several things that can impact the trailer tow capacity. Ford assigns a trailer tow capacity based upon installed optional equipment and other factors. Check with your owners' manual or your local Ford dealer to determine the factory tow rating of you vehicle.

Quote:
The Expedition has a 5.4L V-8 engine, the heavy duty tow package, and some sort of air suspension system. It's GVWR is 7,400lbs. On the hitch, I see a rating of 6,000lbs, and 9,200 lbs weight distributing.
You now have the maximum capacities of the hitch installed on your Expedition - - but not its actual trailer towing capactiy which may be different.

Quote:
The Sovereign has a dry weight of 5300lbs, and a hitch weight of 620lbs per the Airstream literature. I've seen people use the phrase "tongue weight" on the forums, but can't find that particular term in the documentation I've found for this trailer.
The thing to remember with the published weights it that they are empty or dry weights - - they do not include the weight of installed options and accessories, the weight of LP gas, the weight of water in the fresh water tank, weight of any contents in the waste tanks, nor the weight of personal possessions and provisions carried in the coach. Your actual dry weights are likely a little higher than published.

Realistically, you are probably looking at a ready-to-travel weight of 6.500 pounds and a hitch weight of close to 750 pounds if not a bit more. My '64 Overlander (26') ready-to-tow rests at 6,000 pounds (a little more or less depending upon the length of trip for which it is packed). The ready-to-tow hitch weight runs between 725 and 750 pounds depending upon how much LP is in the 40 pound LP tanks.

I suspect that you may find that your Expedition will be approaching its limit with a 29' Sovereign

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Houston , Texas

Thanks for the information!

When I went back to check out the Sovereign again it had already been sold. However, since we've never owned or towed a trailer before, I think I'd like to start out with a smaller Airstream anyway...a 23ft or smaller might work better for us right now.

Have a great day!

texasscott40
TINLOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
Welcome to the Forums. You found the right place for anything AS.

Good luck in your hunt, you're already on the right track.....Airstream!

Al
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
--Mark Twain
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote