Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Newbie question

Sadly, I don't own an Airstream yet. But I do have a beautiful 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe that I've pulled for about 50,000 miles with my '08 Honda Ridgeline. Most of that travel has been in the mountains of Colorado, New Mexico and Wyoming...........with a little bit of Idaho, Utah and the hills of Arkansas. No complaints with the tow vehicle. There's this welling up inside me for a little larger trailer. The 23 foot Airstreams catch my eye. But I'm curious if a late model trailer could be easily handled by my Ridgeline. The tow and weight on the Ridgeline is 5,000 lbs. I really like the 25 foot Airstreams, but that would definitely require the purchase of a new tow vehicle.........something I could swing at the same time as a newer trailer. Anyone on the site have any thoughts or recommendations for me?
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
The 23' gross is about 6000 lbs I believe. The newer 25' is 7300 lbs. I would consider which one you really wanted, consider used as well, and get the tow vehicle that would pull the one I wanted. The Ridgeline, if maxed at 5000 would not be my pick for either. The 20' is 5000 lbs. The 23' weighs 3X what your Casita weighs. That is the advantage of the Casita.

You might consider used as well. I did and bought both truck and trailer within a four month period. That of course is a financial ability/decision. There are times I think about wish I had a new one but other times I am glad it required half the investment to still enjoy the journey.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Thanks, Rod. I intended to look for something in the 2011 age range. But I was under the impression the 23' Excella was less that 5,000 lbs, which is why I was looking at trailers in that length.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
Moving up has advantages, as well as disadvantages. You have to weigh them both. I'm sure you have been doing a lot of that.

You could tow a 19 ft. Bambi with your TV, but not as easily as your Casita.

So, if you really want a bigger trailer of any brand, you probably should buy a bigger TV. In the long run, you will be much happier, and safer.

P.S. Get an Airstream.
terryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:49 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryV View Post
So, if you really want a bigger trailer of any brand, you probably should buy a bigger TV. In the long run, you will be much happier, and safer.

P.S. Get an Airstream.
Well, I could get a bigger TV...............but then I'd have to keep pulling my 17' Casita. Guess it just goes back to the old saying "If you can't run with the big dogs, then don't get off the porch!"
Old 09-16-2014, 08:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
But I'm curious if a late model trailer could be easily handled by my Ridgeline
Ok, Excella. Yes, some of the older models might fit well with your Ridgeline. I was going by your statement of "late model" meaning the last 10 or so years. Others may know more about the Excella line. I would suggest the Safari line to you as well. I am very happy with mine- it is a mix of Flying Cloud interior/Classic walls and ceiling and sport by window type. They are somewhat lighter too. A 25' Safari is 1000 lbs lighter than its 25' Classic cousin.

You can get off the porch but you may have to do it in steps instead of a bolt!

to add to your thoughts (you asked) I would state that you are enjoying what living on wheels is all about now, you just want to upgrade your space. The Casita is an excellent product but it is understandable as we all like space. The question is, how much more are you willing to pay for that space?
Old 09-17-2014, 06:42 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
I really don't think we require much more than we presently have. The 23' trailers allow for sleeping at opposite ends of the cabin, which is a must for us. The slightest disturbance at night wakes the wife and totally disturbs her for the night.............unless the awakening is of her doing, i.e. getting up to go to the bathroom.

I realize I could get a vintage trailer and gain great weight savings. But I'm not looking for a full time "hobby" in restoration..........which is all I hear about with the really older Airstreams. If I could stretch out my Casita those extra 6 feet I'd be totally satisfied...............but can't get Casita to build one! (They actually had one on the books almost ready for production about 10 years ago and then mysteriously scudded plans.)

By my way of reasoning, if a larger tow vehicle is in order, then why only get a 23' when a 25' Flying Cloud would be that much nicer. But doing both of those would mean "selling the farm".

My porch is looking better all the time.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Don't overlook the FC 20 ... you might sneak by with that one until you can justify a TV with a bit more towing capacity. Oops scratch that - just saw you need for sleeping at two ends. The FC20 dinette is very lose to the front bed.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Most of our travels are in the mountains too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0107.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	222036  
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
can you not have like a FC20 with twin beds and thus mostly eliminating the issue of waking the other up moving around much?

And if its sound that wakes the other up...20 vs. 23 reallymake a difference?

If the whole matter creates a huge financial tension and detracts from having funds to freely travel, then the whole matter is a downer too I suspect

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:14 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
The FC20 is a beautiful little trailer. But the sleeping arrangements would be pretty much the same as I've arranged in our Casita. I really think the smallest Airstream trailer that would fit our requirements would be the 23' with the bed in the back and the bench in the front that is beside the dinnette which could be used as a bed. Selling the farm isn't an option at this point, so unless the Airstream Fairy God-mother decides to drop one on our driveway, I guess we'll just have to keep on enjoying our Casita. T'was fun to dream about, though.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Why do I do this?

Look at an Oliver 22' Home - Oliver Travel Trailers Oliver Travel Trailers

Your Casita requires a lot less pampering than an Airstream.
The next logical step UP might be the Oliver.

Paula

but where the hell is Hohenwald, Tennessee?
Old 09-17-2014, 02:55 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Thanks...........but I've seen the inside of both models and neither would work for us. (shame on your for suggesting anything other than an Airstream on this forum! ) The floorplan of the 2011 International (shown here: 2011 Airstream International 23 - Ohio ) is exactly what we want/need. But, alas, the price and the weight are both a negative deciding factor. Maybe some day.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:38 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
1967 22' Safari
1969 18' Caravel
Palo Alto , California
Chris-in the sixties the 22 ft safari only weighed 3200lbs. If I were you I would look for a completely renovated sixties model. It would cost about half of what you are talking about spending. If you have issues with it there are plenty of reputable Airstream repair people around and you would still have 30k left over for just in case scenarios.
markdenise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Good suggestion..............only the Safari doesn't have all the windows at the front of the trailer. That's something extremely important to the little wife. (If Mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy!)
Old 09-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Does the casita have these windows as such?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
Sort of, but not like the Airstream................but that's one of the reasons we've been attracted to the Airstream. There's almost no break in the windows around the dinnette area.

Anyway, it's all a moot point since we're through thinking about the Airstream trailers. Out of our class for now. Maybe if I can adopt a rich Uncle who will leave me an inheritance, things will change. (maybe I ought to be investing in lottery tickets!)
Old 09-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
The older Airstreams are much lighter, my 72 31 footer was about 5,200 lbs new. (It is heavier now because of my remodel)

Just food for thought...

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdenise View Post
Chris-in the sixties the 22 ft safari only weighed 3200lbs. If I were you I would look for a completely renovated sixties model. It would cost about half of what you are talking about spending. If you have issues with it there are plenty of reputable Airstream repair people around and you would still have 30k left over for just in case scenarios.
I second Mark's motion. While it's true most vintage Airstream chatter on the forums is about the joys(?) of restoring them, you could buy an older Airstream already restored for less money than a new one and it would still have the weight advantage you need.

For that matter, we have been traveling the last 7 years in a 22 foot 1980 Caravelle (4,000 pounds gross weight) that has never been "restored". It's been in active service its entire life and has been maintained, but never "restored". It's a little beat up and has some hail dents, but it's a wonderful trailer, and we love it.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Norman , Oklahoma
I have always drooled uncontrollably at the sight of an Airstream trailer........much as one does when seeing a Rolls Royce or Bentley automobile. There's just something indescribable about real class....................even when it's a vintage. But just as with a vintage automobile, I'm fairly certain the same loving care and concern would have to be lavished on an old Airstream. I'm up to my ears in hobbies and at 69 I'm not up for adding another. If I win a lottery, or find a pot of gold, I'll get myself and the little wife a nice new "stronger" tow vehicle and a nice long and luxurious Airstream. Until that time I'm going to have to be satisfied with my beautiful little Casita and Honda Ridgeliine. They are both suitable in spite of their short comings.