Old 09-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
Norman , Oklahoma
Good suggestion..............only the Safari doesn't have all the windows at the front of the trailer. That's something extremely important to the little wife. (If Mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy!)

Chris623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Does the casita have these windows as such?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
Norman , Oklahoma
Sort of, but not like the Airstream................but that's one of the reasons we've been attracted to the Airstream. There's almost no break in the windows around the dinnette area.

Anyway, it's all a moot point since we're through thinking about the Airstream trailers. Out of our class for now. Maybe if I can adopt a rich Uncle who will leave me an inheritance, things will change. (maybe I ought to be investing in lottery tickets!)
Old 09-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #18
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
The older Airstreams are much lighter, my 72 31 footer was about 5,200 lbs new. (It is heavier now because of my remodel)

Just food for thought...
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Originally Posted by markdenise View Post
Chris-in the sixties the 22 ft safari only weighed 3200lbs. If I were you I would look for a completely renovated sixties model. It would cost about half of what you are talking about spending. If you have issues with it there are plenty of reputable Airstream repair people around and you would still have 30k left over for just in case scenarios.
I second Mark's motion. While it's true most vintage Airstream chatter on the forums is about the joys(?) of restoring them, you could buy an older Airstream already restored for less money than a new one and it would still have the weight advantage you need.

For that matter, we have been traveling the last 7 years in a 22 foot 1980 Caravelle (4,000 pounds gross weight) that has never been "restored". It's been in active service its entire life and has been maintained, but never "restored". It's a little beat up and has some hail dents, but it's a wonderful trailer, and we love it.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
Norman , Oklahoma
I have always drooled uncontrollably at the sight of an Airstream trailer........much as one does when seeing a Rolls Royce or Bentley automobile. There's just something indescribable about real class....................even when it's a vintage. But just as with a vintage automobile, I'm fairly certain the same loving care and concern would have to be lavished on an old Airstream. I'm up to my ears in hobbies and at 69 I'm not up for adding another. If I win a lottery, or find a pot of gold, I'll get myself and the little wife a nice new "stronger" tow vehicle and a nice long and luxurious Airstream. Until that time I'm going to have to be satisfied with my beautiful little Casita and Honda Ridgeliine. They are both suitable in spite of their short comings.