Old 10-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I have a 2008 F-250 Supercab-Shortbed V-10 and would not trade it for another long bed, especially in a crew cab. I had one and that 22 feet of truck is just too long for me. Whether it be towing or solo, the SC-shortbed is much more handy and easier to manauver. If you usually pack around a group of friends or family, then a CC is what you will want. But, if you don't have this situation, or rarely, then a supercab-shortbed is sooo much nicer to drive and park, IMHO.

Pap
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F-250 @ Garden Valley 002 (Small).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	142004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pap's camera dump 12.29.10 014 (Small).jpg
Views:	62
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	142005  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pap's camera dump 12.29.10 043 (Small).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	142006  

2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
After driving a crew cab long bed 3500 dually for the past 8 years, the only reason I can envision where the short bed would be better is if you can't fit the long bed in your garage! I may not be the most travelled road warrior, but I've never found a campsite that didn't have a fair selection of sites I could get into with this rig and my 30' Excella. The truck does present a few parking problems in some of the small towns we frequent - but a short-bed pickup would have just as many problems - disregarding the "hips" on the dually. For fun, try parallel parking a crew cab long bed 3500 dually in downtown Bar Harbor, Maine, Camden, Maine, or Georgetown, PEI!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #31
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
After driving a crew cab long bed 3500 dually for the past 8 years, the only reason I can envision where the short bed would be better is if you can't fit the long bed in your garage! I may not be the most travelled road warrior, but I've never found a campsite that didn't have a fair selection of sites I could get into with this rig and my 30' Excella. The truck does present a few parking problems in some of the small towns we frequent - but a short-bed pickup would have just as many problems - disregarding the "hips" on the dually. For fun, try parallel parking a crew cab long bed 3500 dually in downtown Bar Harbor, Maine, Camden, Maine, or Georgetown, PEI!
Parking shouldn't be a problem with a truck that big. Just carry a SmartCar in the bed and park outside town.

Ken
Old 10-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon
bed rug

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeTrottin View Post
I went with a BedRug liner on my last truck and never regretted it. Unless you're hauling mulch or mud you'll never wish you had anything else. I have had the spray in and hard plastic liners and they do a great job protecting the paint but they don't do much for your stuff. The BedRug keeps stuff where you put it and if you ever do swerve or brake hard enough to send stuff flying back there, it has a cushion to bounce off. Spend some time reading up on the BedRug - it's worth looking into. Many of my buddies have switched to it as well. I installed it by myself in a short afternoon.
I agree,easy on the knees and nothing slides arouund
Old 10-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I prefer an 8ft bed truck. If it is less than that it is not a truck but a redneck taxie. If you tow a 5th wheel at some point the extra length will give you room so the overhang won't hit the truck cab. You can put stuff like motorcycles in the back and still bumper pull a trailer. You can get a full sheet of plywood and 2x4's in the bed without stuff hanging out the back. I don't like the trend towards short beds. You have a truck that has no cargo space and an SUV where all your stuff is out in the weather. You also have room for an AUX tank and still have bed space left over. I ended up buying a Ford Excursion where I have no bed at all but I have 5 trailers to haul stuff in so I did not need a truck. I can still get a lot of stuff in the Excursion with the seats folded down (8ft). I would have preferred a long bed crew cab but the Excursion cost me $7000 and a truck like that would cost me about $40k because you can't find a used 8ft bed crew cab pickup in Alabama for a decent price. Yeah they are a pain to park but that is why you have a car to drive to work and a truck for the real work. Around here trucks are used as cars but the short bed trucks are the worst of both worlds. The trucks with the 4 ft beds and 4 doors I refer to as girly trucks.

I do have a Ford Ranger for little jobs and it is nice to be able to throw wood in the back without the worry of ruining the interior.

Perry
Old 10-25-2011, 10:02 AM   #34
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Having had a shortbed I found that it wasn't much of a truck as a truck. It wasn't simply payload limited (1/2T), but had to make multiple trips to achieve the same work as the longbed 3/4T (that I now have) due to the space of the bed.

In other words, I could have achieved the same work with a perfectly acceptable sedan hooked to a construction trailer. A sedan that could also be a TV.

My current truck was bought with both factory plastic bedliner and LEER cab-height bed topper already installed. The interior volume is 170 c/f. There's not ever any problem in loading whatever is wanted in the bed. I can slide totes around all day long with that plastic liner that I never could with a coated bed.

Look to differences in wheelbase. Any vehicle pivots off of (turns off of) the rear axle. And most drivers are no more skilled than in following the front wheels around (blind to what makes for a circle); thus the wheelbase is what to pay attention to in choosing a truck. Not cab size. Nor bed size. First is wheelbase.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post

.................................................. ...........
My current truck was bought with both factory plastic bedliner and LEER cab-height bed topper already installed. The interior volume is 170 c/f. There's not ever any problem in loading whatever is wanted in the bed. I can slide totes around all day long with that plastic liner that I never could with a coated bed.

.................................................. ...............

As long as someone brought the subject up. I thought I would comment on our experience with bed linings.

We purchased out truck new in 2003. We immediately installed a factory (MOPAR) fiberglass tonneau and plastic bed liner.

Because of the amount and type of things we take camping, we decided this summer to replace the tonneau with a topper (canopy). At the same time we also decided to have the bed coated.

I was apprehensive about what the condition of the bed would be, because of things I had been told about what the bed liner would do the the surface of the bed underneath it. When the bed liner was removed, there was a fair amount of apparently vibration induced abrasion of the paint, and a couple of areas where surface rust had started. Keep in mind that we had the bed covered the entire life of the truck until the liner was removed and the truck is always parked under cover at home. .

All in all ours was not that bad, but I would be worried about a bed under a plastic bed liner if exposed to the elements or used a lot to haul loose dirt etc.

We look at a lot of coatings and finally decided on Reflex.

Reflex Truck Liner - Reflex Home

It is much thicker than the others we saw and actually provides a little cushioning in case things are dropped on it. . It also dries with a surface that provides more grip on the items sitting on on it. In fact, it holds so well that we made a floor covering for it out of cheap outdoor carpet from home depot. We use it to cover the areas where we place things that we want to slide in and out easily.

It comes in many colors, be we opted for black. They can even match it to the color of the truck.

Ken
Old 10-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We have the F250 SD Crew Cab short bed diesel and are VERY happy with it. We put a Snug Top Canopy on it with a spray on liner AND put the Bedrug in at my Wife's insistence (didn't think I needed it but sure saves on my knees). Additionally we have the stair option that comes out of the rear gate and is really great. Not sure if Chevy has this. Great deals on Fords right now.
Cheers
Old 10-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Another "problem" with long beds, especially combined with a crew cab, is what I call "interstate hop". Seems to me that the length of a long bed crew cab is perfect for the hop associated with interstate concrete sections and in some localities, it's absolute murder. No so with a short bed and especially no so with an extended cab-short bed like mine. When I had my 2002 long bed crew cab (21+ feet), it was murder on some highways when it got to hopping and that's without hauling our AS. When hauling a RV, it's 10 times as bad. Just another reason why I like my short bed.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #38
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
. . When the bed liner was removed, there was a fair amount of apparently vibration induced abrasion of the paint, and a couple of areas where surface rust had started.

Yeah, it's a truck bed. Get's used one way or another. Not arguing with your findings or fixes, but for some of us the expectation is that some wear will occur, some of it much more serious than that described. Repairing it isn't at the same level of concern as the "exterior" of the truck (for appearance purposes).

Protection is relative. The ability to slide things around -- many of them from standing outside the bed -- make the dealer-optional plastic liner worthy of consideration. Some sanding/priming/painting after many years is a small price, IMO.

Haven't seen REFLEX. Is it new, or?

Old 10-25-2011, 03:11 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
For my requirements, my F-350 Oil Burner with 4 doors and a short bed, single wheel rear axel is PERFECT, especially once I was able to install an aftermarket 50 gallon tank to replace the OEM Ford tank, complete with skid-plate.

Never needed the extra length of the bed (now I have a larger fuel tank), when off road it's a wee bit eaiser to go up and down hill, in parking lot and tight places a wee bet eaiser, and unlike my Fathers Crew Cab long bed, it doesn't hop on those places of interstate concerte like his does....

Guess it all depends on your needs...
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Sunset Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
For my requirements, my F-350 Oil Burner with 4 doors and a short bed, single wheel rear axel is PERFECT, especially once I was able to install an aftermarket 50 gallon tank to replace the OEM Ford tank, complete with skid-plate.

Never needed the extra length of the bed (now I have a larger fuel tank), when off road it's a wee bit eaiser to go up and down hill, in parking lot and tight places a wee bet eaiser, and unlike my Fathers Crew Cab long bed, it doesn't hop on those places of interstate concerte like his does....

Guess it all depends on your needs...
John,

Which brand of aftermarket fuel tank did you go with? The Titan or some other brand? Also, did you install it yourself or have it done? I've come across Ford dealers what will install the tank and reprogram the computer, but for a "special price."

Cheers,
Rion
GinMame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post

Haven't seen REFLEX. Is it new, or?

I think it is fairly new. I had not seen it either until I started doing some looking around.

It is made in Canada. After comparing it to several others, I liked it the best.

It is significant thicker than any of the others I saw. The rubbery surface that they talk about on their web page is one of the things that I like. When you set something on it, it stays there. Obviously that would not be a plus for you.

Ken
Old 10-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #42
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I think it is fairly new. I had not seen it either until I started doing some looking around.

It is made in Canada. After comparing it to several others, I liked it the best.

It is significant thicker than any of the others I saw. The rubbery surface that they talk about on their web page is one of the things that I like. When you set something on it, it stays there. Obviously that would not be a plus for you.

Ken
Thanks for the info on Reflex.

As to a spray liner it's just a different method of managing the load and total amount of load. With a bed topper it would mean climbing in and out of the truck constantly. With a tonneau cover it means packing much more tightly with cargo capacity cut by more than 1/2.