Old 06-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
m.hony....yeah, I would not mind finding a nice used deal...but the carmax ones appear to be at first glance pretty high priced...making new with 0% interest and what not seem tempting anyway....but perhaps If I shop for used at dealers and other routes I would do better...Just for peace of mind I would like a warranty...that is why I like carmax...we shall see I guess....that deal you got sounds really good!!! Ill be looking for something along those lines...certainly that is NOT on carmax

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
sphereguy

long box vs. short box...my understanding there is

1) longer truck, perhaps more stable for towing...
2) longer truck, harder to maneuver/turn
3) longer bed, more storage
4) longer truck, overall longer length with AS

Not sure of other considerations...I have lived with a 6 foot bed for a while....not sure I would need/want a long box?

Old 06-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
thanks Phoenix...ill check that out for sure.

Hey folks...this may sound like a dumb question...but what exactly is "cash back" when you see that advertised? Literally, I guess there is you will get a certain interest rate, and they pay you some cash as an incentive? They make it all back in interest no doubt, but I kinda get the draw there...but 0% is very nice, so we shall see...depends on the monthly payment, rate, and my other expenses.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I always thought this was a great way to buy a car. I haven't tried it yet, but I will for my next vehicle.

How to Buy a Car, Using Game Theory | Bruce Bueno de Mesquita | Big Think
Old 06-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
I always thought this was a great way to buy a car. I haven't tried it yet, but I will for my next vehicle.

How to Buy a Car, Using Game Theory | Bruce Bueno de Mesquita | Big Think
EXCELLENT

I will remember these points....

My experience with local dealers here in my region in AL though...they barely will budge...I haggled once 5 years ago to get a competitive price on a 4x4 v6 nissan I was considering at that time...and these jokers would not budge ....I finally gave up and just bought an older used truck and said screw it.

I am not much of a good negotiator it seems

I will give it a whirl though...love the idea of having the costco one on hand and playing it against them as well...force them to beat it or forget it.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
also, wife just gave final approval for a budget that pretty much gives me total freedom to get a new truck and new TV...brand new....oh baby that is dangerous...approved to purchase come october earliest, but Im guessing december perhaps...if I go the new route.....oh man....this is huge news....I have zero resistance now.....not only zero resistance....she is excited...

How rare is it that both my wife and I agree on superfluous spending

Sorry, off topic a bit, but just am REALLY excited and just had to share!!!!

Old 06-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Marine city , Michigan
Joining an 'affiliated' group like Tread Lightly ($100) or Access Fund ($35) gets you invoice less one percent on any Chrysler product. I believe any dealer will honor this and requires no negotiating.

www.wanderingourway.wordpress.com
Mcdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
interesting....I have no idea what that is...

How does one find out what "invoice" price is on a given truck?

Old 06-14-2013, 10:41 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Cash back is not really cash back. It is another discount. It is applied to the purchase. I bought my truck used off a Toyota dealership lot with a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty. It had about 6,000 miles when I bought it in 2008. It has 27,000 miles now. Don't go 66 months like I did. Just go 60. Interest is compounded annually. That just gave them another year to compound interest. 11 notes to go. Countin' 'em down. $6,300 more and she is mine.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #24
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
My experience with local dealers here in my region in AL though...they barely will budge...I haggled once 5 years ago to get a competitive price on a 4x4 v6 nissan I was considering at that time...and these jokers would not budge.
By Google maps, you are only about 14 minutes from Birmingham, or is that the market you are talking about?

In any event, if you could save a thousand dollars on a vehicle purchase, just how far WOULD you drive...?
Old 06-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
great point. I suspect I will do alot more phone and email haggling too....did not do that last time.

For 1K I would waste an entire day or weekend I suspect...however I have 2 small children and just taking off for a 24 hour period can be tricky....but for convenience I hope to just buy here in the B-ham area. I certainly will extend my searching in a decent radius and see how I do.

Yeah, I probably will do 5 year not 6....I did 4 years on my current car....will be paid off in october this year

Old 06-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Don't get too fancy when you are buying your new TV. I bought a 2008 Tundra double cab with the
SR5 package. It has the same stuff as the Limited except no leather and no steering wheel controls, but it was at least 10k cheaper. I paid 25k out the door for my 2wd double cab Tundra, SR5 5.7L, six speed,tow mirrors, bucket seats, floor shift. It is a beautiful truck. If I were buying a new truck today I just might buy the same truck. Look at all of them and buy the one that you like.

Dan
Old 06-15-2013, 05:24 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Don't get too fancy when you are buying your new TV. I bought a 2008 Tundra double cab with the
SR5 package. It has the same stuff as the Limited except no leather and no steering wheel controls, but it was at least 10k cheaper. I paid 25k out the door for my 2wd double cab Tundra, SR5 5.7L, six speed,tow mirrors, bucket seats, floor shift. It is a beautiful truck. If I were buying a new truck today I just might buy the same truck. Look at all of them and buy the one that you like.

Dan
What he said.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:07 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
god I wish I could talk myself into 2wd....Ive seriously circled around the idea....the times I need 4wd are very rare.....expensive insurance.