Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #1
Holiday Ramblers

2020 25' Globetrotter
Springfield , Missouri
New TV - F150 3.5 EcoBoost

After decades of being a Toyota man... we just pulled the trigger on 2015 F150 Super Crew XLT 3.5 EcoBoost with Max Tow and 3.55. (I need to come up with a good acronyms for this...) I'm still not believing that we (my wife is in same boat) did it, but we set all emotional attachments aside and just looked at the data, and read every review and forum thread I could find, and simply could not dispute the current facts and experiences from others. Only complaint I have is the pricing structure. After dealer discount and rebates, we are essentially down to what a similarly equipped Tundra would be. Only extras were the heated power seats (both sides) and remote start. Another benefit: Completely flat floor board with back seats folded up.

Our AS is a 22' 2002 International CCD with 4,000 lb dry weight and 400 lb hitch weight so we should be good on payload. We are new to the Airstream and travel trailer life, so we will take it slow and easy before we make a big trip. The hardest part was deciding to part with my beloved 4.0L V6 Tacoma. It pulled the AS from east coast - no problem on flat open road. But the grades make it groan pretty hard. Second hardest part: the sheer size of the truck - it BARELY fits in the garage. Gonna have to do some re-arranging... And getting in and out takes a little more flexibility... We are both vertical challenged.

Will report back after break in and first towing.
badib-yazdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:33 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Congratulations on your new tow vehicle. It sounds like you did a lot of research and got the tow vehicle of your dreams. now you will be anxious to get out there with the Airstream and have some great adventures.

Keep us posted on your travels.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:25 PM   #3
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Whidbey Island , Washington
I am aiming to be a "Re-Newbie". I have towed travel trailers many years ago, and just sold our 36' diesel pusher. I plan to buy an AS in the 23'-25' range. I too am shopping for a TV. My Honda Ridgeline is just not up to the task of towing 6000#. While configuring hypothetical F-150's on the web today I found myself automatically selecting the 5.0L V8. Why did you select the 6? Forgive me if I seem to be short cutting the TV research
christopherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:22 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
You won't hate that move.

Congrats
Old 01-09-2016, 08:23 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
(I just picked up the same truck)
Old 01-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherb View Post
I am aiming to be a "Re-Newbie". I have towed travel trailers many years ago, and just sold our 36' diesel pusher. I plan to buy an AS in the 23'-25' range. I too am shopping for a TV. My Honda Ridgeline is just not up to the task of towing 6000#. While configuring hypothetical F-150's on the web today I found myself automatically selecting the 5.0L V8. Why did you select the 6? Forgive me if I seem to be short cutting the TV research
Checkout the torque comparison as well as the non towing mpg on both power plants. Then hunt online for Ford's original three videos on testing the new Ecoboost engine to overcome the 8 vs 6 cyl truck prejudice. Especially the one where they run the engine at around a race track at redline for 24hours continuous towing a trailer with TWO Nascar's on it. And the one where they disassemble the same test engine that they used in four differently configured F-150's at an auto show and demonstrate to the people there that after 150,000 grueling miles of service, the engine is completely within assembly line specs.

If we had been able to make a pickup work for our lightweight, oversized windsurf gear, that would have been it!

Congrats to the family that just got one!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Reno , Nevada
Congratulations! I have an A/S 25FB and tow it with a Ford F150 EcoBoost. I did a great deal of research also and was and still am convinced that the F150 EcoBoost is THE tow vehicle within it limits. I have 15,000 miles on the truck and 5,000 miles on my A/S. I pull any hill with ease. I do not pack lots of gear even though we camp a great deal so even with the 25FB I have experienced no towing challenges. I use the Equalizer hitch. It too a bit to get the hitch adjusted correctly. It is a joy to drive and to tow.
Mike25FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:06 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Boyne City , Michigan
Congrats, my wife and I pull our 25 FCTB with a 2015 F-150 Lariat, EcoBoost, its a great TV. Our first real experience in pulling grades was this summer in NY. Driving in the Adirondacks, two 3/4 ton diesel TV with 5th wheels were following and wanting to pass, every time we would get to a passing lane on an uphill grade the F-150 would just pull away. I am sure I made those guys a little angry, I realize they were pulling a lot more weight, but it was fun just the same. Enjoy!:
PattenLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
(I just picked up the same truck)
Me too. Love it!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
Checkout the torque comparison as well as the non towing mpg on both power plants. Then hunt online for Ford's original three videos on testing the new Ecoboost engine to overcome the 8 vs 6 cyl truck prejudice. Especially the one where they run the engine at around a race track at redline for 24hours continuous towing a trailer with TWO Nascar's on it. And the one where they disassemble the same test engine that they used in four differently configured F-150's at an auto show and demonstrate to the people there that after 150,000 grueling miles of service, the engine is completely within assembly line specs.

If we had been able to make a pickup work for our lightweight, oversized windsurf gear, that would have been it!

I recently purchased a Ford F- 150 EcoBoost, for my 25' AS. (since traded to a 30' AS. needed the stowage and room.)

I also HAVE that video, that you're refering to, and when, in the tear-down, they showed that it still had ' crosshatching' in the cylinder walls, I hooted: "YOU FRAUDS"! After that kind of milage, and workout, there is NO way that there should be crosshatching. those walls should be mirror smooth.
Still, I bought the truck, because it met my requirements more than the other offerings, and so far has met my every expectations.

FYI: I'm a retired Canadian Aircraft Maintenance Engineer; what you guys call: an A&P-A.I. mechanic.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherb View Post
I too did my research for a TV to replace my Toyota 4-Runner, 6 cyl.
It towed a gross wt. 6000 lb. Hi-Lo for six years and did quite well.
But,I wanted an Airstream, and needed a stronger TV.
I purchased a Ford F-150 EcoBoost, exactly the one that Badib-Yasdi bought; and used it to pull a 25' FB Flying cloud. (Gross wt. 7700 lbs.) It too works quite well, and I expect it to this summer; because I traded the 25' 'Cloud, for a 30' 'Cloud. (Gross wt. 8800 lbs.)
This truck is rated for 12,200 lbs. using a WD hitch.
TheEcoboost has rating of 420 ft. lbs of torque at 2500 RPM, which is a perfect cruising speed.
With the 3.55 ratio, 4th. speed will give me 93 KPH, (55 MPH) 5th. speed will give me 120 KPH, (or 75 MPH.)
MY ADVICE STRONGLY is to ignore 6th. speed. It is far too long legged, the RPMs are too low, and will 'bog' the engine, and can lead to engine damage, as the combustion pressures will be too high. To use 6th. speed properly would require a 4.30 or 4.56 rear end ratio.
All other things being equal, max torque is your most efficient speed; but things are not all equal. however............
In this case, the Ecoboost gives max torque at 2500 RPM which is perfect for cruising, giving the accessories enough speed to do their job, without underspeeding the engine; or going too fast and worrying about crankshaft 'windage' stealing your gas milage.
To obtain the proper engine speeds, 'drive' the truck using those little buttons at the side of the shifter. MARVELOUS!
WHY a Six? Again, all things being equal, a 6 or 12 cyl. engine is more efficient than others because of crank angles being the best. (120 deg. vs.180, or say 90.) You get the ' mostest for the leastest.!

Hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:00 PM   #12
U.S. Navy, Retired

1997 30' Excella
Cumming , Georgia
Interesting read MelGoddard, but somewhat beyond my level of expertise. Still, I agree with your advise to avoid using sixth when towing my 30 Classic.

To badib-zazdi, if you didn't get the power running board on your truck, consider going after market from AMP Research. They make them for Ford, and the finished install looks identical to factory. Only thing you lose is the on screen controls, but you won't need them, as it all works automatically. My 5-5 wife cold never get into my trucks - until this one.
2018 F250 King Ranch 6.7L Powerstroke
Silverleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:23 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Coppell , Texas
We have a 14' EB with the 3:73 rear diff. I let the truck decide which gear it likes in the Tow/Haul mode and everything runs smoothly. The Tow/Haul mode does an excellent job both UP and DOWN hills in controlling the truck/trailer. Very pleased with it.

And Ditto on the power running boards. We spent the $$ and it is significantly easier to enter/exit the truck for us OLD people. They are lower when deployed than the fixed steps are.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:46 AM   #14
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Coolbreeze, if you wanted to you could lock out 6th gear and let the truck decide in tow haul among the remaining 5.

That's how I tow albeit with the 5 liter v8.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:26 AM   #15
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Whidbey Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post

So I did as you suggested; read the specs and watched all the video's and I must say you (and FORD) have made a believer out of me. Short of a diesel, the 3.6 V6 EcoBoost is the engine to tow with. So thank you.

I also found a couple of other video's posted by a Ford tech having to do with carbon buildup in this particular engine - this is the more current of the two videos. the link is: https://youtu.be/-ynGWxzJHjA

The takeaway is to use preferably Chevron fuel and high quality 100% synthetic motor oil to slow the buildup of carbon deposits.
christopherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:02 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Grayling , Michigan
Good to read about the 3.5 towing rhe 25' Airstream. We tow ours with a 5.7 tundra--cannot tow in 6 gear so do most towing in 5. Have loved the reliability, but the current 12 model seems to strain much more than the 07 we had before, even though it is the same trailer. This one seems to "groan" same as was mentioned about the Tacoma. I too am getting older and I really like the idea of the tailgate step, the side steps on the box, and especially the assist handle to get in on the driver side that Toyota chose to deleat with the 2014 re-do, along with the 20 some other things we got acustom to. I just started shopping, and am 99% sure Ford will be it--equiped with the max tow package and the 3.5 V6. Rumor does have it that the 2017 will have a different aluminum used in the body and a 10 speed automatic. Any idea what the 10 speed would do for towing and fuel economy. We can wait until then if we have to. Until then we will groan along in the mountains.
cando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:57 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Coppell , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Coolbreeze, if you wanted to you could lock out 6th gear and let the truck decide in tow haul among the remaining 5.

That's how I tow albeit with the 5 liter v8.
I have not tried this. I assume I would go into manual mode and set the gear to 5th. Also assuming it would start in 1st from a dead stop and then progress up and stop at 5th. I will give this a try.

If that is now how to LOCK out 6th, please send me a "how to" note.

david
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:13 AM   #18
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbreeze View Post
I have not tried this. I assume I would go into manual mode and set the gear to 5th. Also assuming it would start in 1st from a dead stop and then progress up and stop at 5th. I will give this a try.

If that is now how to LOCK out 6th, please send me a "how to" note.

david
There should be manual controls buttons on the gear shift stalk. Stay in drive (not manual) and hit the lower button. You should see 6th dissappear from the display. May have to hit it twice, once to display the gears and once to remove 6th.

That will give the truck all options other than 6th. So yes, it will shift to 1st as necessary.

If you hit the down button more you can progressively lock out 5th, 4th, etc. In constant up and down terrain I sometimes lock out 5th as well.

Try it. See what you think.

Oh yea, hit the up button to add a previously locked out gear into the mix.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:25 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
You are going to love that 150. The torc that develops, mine is a 2013, is 420 foot pounds, is amazing and it develops it at a low rpm. That is one major pulling machine.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:32 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
push the tow/haul button on the gear shift lever, it will help considerably. You will find the
+/- buttons for the transmission very helpful going down steep grades as well.
Kittyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote