Old 01-11-2016, 09:26 AM   #15
Prairie Schooner

2005 25' Safari
Whidbey Island , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
Checkout the torque comparison as well as the non towing mpg on both power plants. Then hunt online for Ford's original three videos on testing the new Ecoboost engine to overcome the 8 vs 6 cyl truck prejudice. Especially the one where they run the engine at around a race track at redline for 24hours continuous towing a trailer with TWO Nascar's on it. And the one where they disassemble the same test engine that they used in four differently configured F-150's at an auto show and demonstrate to the people there that after 150,000 grueling miles of service, the engine is completely within assembly line specs.

If we had been able to make a pickup work for our lightweight, oversized windsurf gear, that would have been it!

Congrats to the family that just got one!
So I did as you suggested; read the specs and watched all the video's and I must say you (and FORD) have made a believer out of me. Short of a diesel, the 3.6 V6 EcoBoost is the engine to tow with. So thank you.

I also found a couple of other video's posted by a Ford tech having to do with carbon buildup in this particular engine - this is the more current of the two videos. the link is: https://youtu.be/-ynGWxzJHjA

The takeaway is to use preferably Chevron fuel and high quality 100% synthetic motor oil to slow the buildup of carbon deposits.

Old 01-11-2016, 07:02 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Grayling , Michigan
Good to read about the 3.5 towing rhe 25' Airstream. We tow ours with a 5.7 tundra--cannot tow in 6 gear so do most towing in 5. Have loved the reliability, but the current 12 model seems to strain much more than the 07 we had before, even though it is the same trailer. This one seems to "groan" same as was mentioned about the Tacoma. I too am getting older and I really like the idea of the tailgate step, the side steps on the box, and especially the assist handle to get in on the driver side that Toyota chose to deleat with the 2014 re-do, along with the 20 some other things we got acustom to. I just started shopping, and am 99% sure Ford will be it--equiped with the max tow package and the 3.5 V6. Rumor does have it that the 2017 will have a different aluminum used in the body and a 10 speed automatic. Any idea what the 10 speed would do for towing and fuel economy. We can wait until then if we have to. Until then we will groan along in the mountains.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:57 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
Coppell , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
Coolbreeze, if you wanted to you could lock out 6th gear and let the truck decide in tow haul among the remaining 5.

That's how I tow albeit with the 5 liter v8.
I have not tried this. I assume I would go into manual mode and set the gear to 5th. Also assuming it would start in 1st from a dead stop and then progress up and stop at 5th. I will give this a try.

If that is now how to LOCK out 6th, please send me a "how to" note.

david
Old 01-13-2016, 01:13 AM   #18
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbreeze View Post
I have not tried this. I assume I would go into manual mode and set the gear to 5th. Also assuming it would start in 1st from a dead stop and then progress up and stop at 5th. I will give this a try.

If that is now how to LOCK out 6th, please send me a "how to" note.

david
There should be manual controls buttons on the gear shift stalk. Stay in drive (not manual) and hit the lower button. You should see 6th dissappear from the display. May have to hit it twice, once to display the gears and once to remove 6th.

That will give the truck all options other than 6th. So yes, it will shift to 1st as necessary.

If you hit the down button more you can progressively lock out 5th, 4th, etc. In constant up and down terrain I sometimes lock out 5th as well.

Try it. See what you think.

Oh yea, hit the up button to add a previously locked out gear into the mix.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:25 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
You are going to love that 150. The torc that develops, mine is a 2013, is 420 foot pounds, is amazing and it develops it at a low rpm. That is one major pulling machine.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:32 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Dallas , Texas
push the tow/haul button on the gear shift lever, it will help considerably. You will find the
+/- buttons for the transmission very helpful going down steep grades as well.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:50 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Englewood , Colorado
Congratulations on your new f150. You are going to love it. We have a 14 with a 5.0 and love it too. The only time I wish we had the ecoboost is when we are above 10,000'. That is when I am sure yours would really be stronger than ours. We to lock out 6th and sometimes 5th. It has a 3.55 rear end. There is nothing like the room in a supercrew. Some people on here are talking about the new ridgelin by honda. I can't imagine traveling in one of those for very far. Did you get the 36 gallon tank? I hope so. Ours has a range here in the Colorado mountains of 400 miles. Good luck
Old 02-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Portland , Oregon
I am expecting delivery in a few days of a '16 Screw/6.5 bed/3.5/3.55/36 gal tank. I have been reading a bit here and there about engine braking. I'm towing a 25' classic. I am wondering, considering no sharp curves, how much of a grade can it handle? Is it best in the steeper grades to boost the trailer brakes to help out?
Old 02-15-2016, 12:45 PM   #23
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Use tow/haul, shift to second if you need it, and start slow before you get into the grade, And yes, boosting the trailer brakes helps a lot!

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:34 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Congratulations! I've been enjoying mine since July.

As far as competition goes, something to note that is HUGE on your new TV is that just under 75% of the torque is on standby at highway speed with that engine/transmission compared to the competition's 42%. That equates to much less shifting and revving even in hills.

The new truck, at least in my experience from the '09 F150 with the same transmission, has a much more aggressive engine braking. I noticed it immediately on my first tow. In tow/haul mode I may be wrong but I do not believe it shifts to sixth. I haven't towed in hills with the new truck but with the '09 (same trans) to activate engine braking you tapped the brakes twice when in tow/haul.

If you saw the recent cars.com 1/2 ton max tow competition notice how they only ran them off but did not compare the tow experience- hilly ground, shifting/gear hunting, etc. Add to that the issues with suspension that their winner has being reported AND the Consumer Report ranking and you get a different picture. I truly believe you made the right decision. Enjoy.

on 10-speed, I read one article on it and the planned use of the gears. In a nutshell they plan to use two gears specifically to tighten up 0-40 acceleration and keep the RPMs lower for MPG. Nothing was mentioned about the last two gears so towing or what it will be like would be a guess.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:12 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbreeze View Post
We have a 14' EB with the 3:73 rear diff. I let the truck decide which gear it likes in the Tow/Haul mode and everything runs smoothly. The Tow/Haul mode does an excellent job both UP and DOWN hills in controlling the truck/trailer. Very pleased with it.

And Ditto on the power running boards. We spent the $$ and it is significantly easier to enter/exit the truck for us OLD people. They are lower when deployed than the fixed steps are.

Hi, I also have a 2014 Ecoboost with 3:73 gears. No need to lock out sixth gear. When towing my 25'er, I use Tow / Haul mode. Mine is a pulling monster; Holds whatever speed I set it at up every mountain I hit so far. First trip was over 13,000 miles and across this big country.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:29 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Portland , Oregon
My '16 XLT 3.5 screw, etc. etc. came in a few days ago and I've driven around 100 miles or so to get used to it. Wonderful so far. Looking fwd to towing. I read that most engines (I think diesel included) lose 3% HP per each 1K feet above sea level, but not the EB engine.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:42 AM   #27
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamb View Post
I read that most engines (I think diesel included) lose 3% HP per each 1K feet above sea level, but not the EB engine.
Most naturally aspirated engines lose around 3% per 1000 feet of altitude. Turbocharged engines, whether gasoline or diesel, do not, within the limitations of turbocharger rotational speed.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:28 AM   #28
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
B-Y

I'm late to this F150 party, but I see you got your XLT Sport! Congrats, and I know you'll be pleased. As you've seen me post before, we love our '15 F150 for towing our 27FB. We just planned 12 days up through North Georgia and into Western North Carolina for first week of June, So we'll soon get to enjoy the EB drivetrain in some real grades.

FWIW - I'd be willing to bet your tongue weight on that 22' CCD is more like 700 lbs, especially loaded, since you want at least 12% hitch weight for safe towing, but again, you should be fine on payload. Enjoy your first tow!