Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2007, 08:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
The cars are assembled here not completely manufactured here. That's a big difference. Our workers are merely taking their parts and putting them together. So they take the drive shafts with the faulty u joints and install them in the Tundra. The blame goes right to Toyota not the workes or the plant here.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:30 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Aptos , California
I think that almost all of the 07 Tundra's components are made in the US.
They make a big deal out of this, trying to deflect anti-import sentiments.
But there are a lot of US jobs created, all the way down the supply pipeline, as well as an increased tax base for the lucky cities that have these factories.
The corporate profits, on the other hand, go right back to Toyota.

Terry
Rollertoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:11 AM   #23
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollertoaster
I think that almost all of the 07 Tundra's components are made in the US.
They make a big deal out of this, trying to deflect anti-import sentiments.
OK-you did it...I'll get on my soap box again!

I worked for a tier supplier to the US automotive industry for many years, it is no secret that when the Japanese build an assembly plant here, they bring ALL their suppliers with them, right down to the fasteners. They do NOT source from US companies.

While I am GM to the bone, you would be hard pressed to find any junk for sale nowadays, including-yikes-Korean!

What does that mean?
The old and tired argument to buy foreign because the (perceived) quality is better, is no longer valid. US autos are every bit as high quality as anything else for sale. And if we talk about trucks, more capable than what others currently have for sale.

Jobs created? Yes, at a fraction of what UAW wages are...is that funny? Not if you, or your friends, are UAW employees...do you want to earn a lower salary next year!
Did the legacy health care cost hurt the UAW and the US auto industry? Oh yeah, but that all changed this fall.
Why do people take this isuue so lightly?
The automotive industry is so important to the US economy.
Will you be happy if there are no US cars/trucks left to buy?
How about US made computer and networks at you bank?
Or no US made telecommunications systems?
How about Chinese made jets to fly on?

Where does it end?

We all make choices...I'll spend my money on US products whenever possible, and I will go out of my way to find them.

OK, all done for now...

Bill

p.s. Heard about both sliding doors falling off Sienna mini vans 2004 and newer?

No recall issued-hush, hush, just like the sludge problem...
Old 12-18-2007, 09:26 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
BillTex,
My hat's off to you for speaking the truth.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:56 PM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollertoaster
the domestic labor force is pretty good. A while back it was reported that US built Accords had fewer QC issues than Accords built in Japan.

A number of the "foregin" cars are now made here in America. Great for employment, but the same QC issues that are found with the domestics are now starting to really surface with the "imports" made here. Made from the same labor force as the domestics.
I beg to differ...my wife has owned 3 Accords. One made in Japan and two made in Ohio. Both the Ohio Accords were total junk(the one she has, a 2004, is a still a piece of junk). Fit, finish, squeaks, componet failures, you name it, both Ohio built Accords are nowhere near the QC of the Accord she had that was built in Japan. My buddy here at work, had an Accord that was also built in Japan. Had nearly 200k on it. Loved it. Thought as we did, the newer Accords are just as good. Bought a 2001, made in Ohio. Same exact issues, the car is basically falling apart. Take both my 1996 Chevy Impalas. Both made at the Arlington, Texas plant. Both had a number of issues...bolts found in the trunk, squeeks, rattles, component failures. My 2004 3/4 Suburban, assembled in Mexico has had zero issues with fit, finish, or quality of build. Had a few componet issues, but that was not due to assembly. Though these do not show a clear mandate, it does show that the vehicles built here, be it with a domestic or foreign company are for the most part more prone to issues at least in our exp.

Keeping it Airstream related, my Airstream is made in Jackson Center, Ohio, down the street from some of the Honda facilities. It was not constructed very well. As I posted on another thread around here, when I did some work on it, I had opened a place that was out of sight normally. I found a suffed up McDonald's wrapper in one of the inner skin openings. Now before I get all down on Airstream for the production issues I've seen with them, keep in mind most RVs are made domestically, by domestic companies, most are far worse than any car you'd ever encounter in terms of quality of build, etc. Makes my Airstream look like a real well built RV, but then again, in comparison to what's out there, it isn't really saying all that much.

I am an American, and as much as I hate to say it, the statement I made above is entirely true. We Americans have become too complacent. That said, I'm still buying domestic wherever I can, regardless of how much domestic it is....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:50 PM   #26
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I beg to differ...my wife has owned 3 Accords. One made in Japan and two made in Ohio. Both the Ohio Accords were total junk(the one she has, a 2004, is a still a piece of junk). Fit, finish, squeaks, componet failures, you name it, both Ohio built Accords are nowhere near the QC of the Accord she had that was built in Japan. My buddy here at work, had an Accord that was also built in Japan. Had nearly 200k on it. Loved it. Thought as we did, the newer Accords are just as good. Bought a 2001, made in Ohio. Same exact issues, the car is basically falling apart. Take both my 1996 Chevy Impalas. Both made at the Arlington, Texas plant. Both had a number of issues...bolts found in the trunk, squeeks, rattles, component failures. My 2004 3/4 Suburban, assembled in Mexico has had zero issues with fit, finish, or quality of build. Had a few componet issues, but that was not due to assembly. Though these do not show a clear mandate, it does show that the vehicles built here, be it with a domestic or foreign company are for the most part more prone to issues at least in our exp.
Some would attribute these differences to changes in corporate philosophy ("cost savings"), not the individual worker.
The US still has the greatest output per man hour excepting Norway; U.N.: U.S. workers are most productive - World business - MSNBC.com

Bill