Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #21
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I had a few old bangers back in the '60s that were reluctant to go up or down a gear.

I usually found that double-clutching did the trick. This means to change first into neutral, let out the clutch briefly, push in the clutch and slide it into the next gear you wanted.

I believe this got the gears rotating at a compatible speed.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There is a black square rubber bushing in the shift linkage that deteriorates and crumbles away, making it nearly impossible to shift until you replace it.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #23
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
As we're off topic a bit, I owned a Ford Econoline 1965 6 cyl cab over pick up. Similar long travel slop master 3 on the tree. Never towed but it carried over 1 ton of airfreight back to work one time. It loaded the rear AND front axle that is where it shined. Also hauled in lots of firewood from the woods too.

I guess I'm kinda set, not looking to replace my Dodge Cummins, anytime. Not looking to race you up the hill, just pull the hill all day long if necessary. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea just like our AS is not for everyone either.

But it works for me.

See ya round the campfire.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Northwest , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
Love that Transporter! Have you entertained the thought of putting a Porsche engine in the rear of it? When I was very young, a few years back, helped a fellow VW enthusiast, install a Chevy Corvair engine in a VW van. Ran pretty good. Sorry to get off-topic, was overwhelmed by the Transporter.
The rage now is the Subaru boxer engine swap for power, modern, reliable, and power galore. Not for me though! With those standard 1960 VW safety features, like touch your toes to the back of the headlight bucket while shifting, 56 mph top end is plenty. As far as the three test trucks in the video, I'd rather see that test in ten years after they have a couple hundred thousand miles each. I'm not one to jump out there and grab the newest technology. I'd much rather have the tried and true. I'll let others test out the Eco-Boost, Eco-Diesel, and the Eco-Mega-Hybrids with a side of fries, then in about ten years when everyone else can give me their long term results I might bite into it all. I do hope they all work out great for everyone all the same, which ever brand they choose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1960 safety feature.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	217293  
OldVwHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #25
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Looks good physically and on paper, but until Consumer Reports or some other NEUTRAL party does this kind of test, my answer will be "meh". I mean the video is Ford Marketing material.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:11 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Mine is still better than yours, tests don't mean anything unless mine is the winner...

Seriously though folks, I posted a few years back on this very forum how lucky we are in this day & age to the quality and options of the tow vehicles (and autos in general) that are now offered to us consumers.

Looking at my brothers VW bus that he restores, we have sure come a long way!!!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote