Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2015, 06:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Naples , Florida
New Truck Advice Chevy or Ram?

I am currently towing with a 2010 Tundra Crew Cab with the 5.7 Engine.
I'm looking at picking up a new truck before the end of the year and have narrowed it down to 3 choices...

First let me state I am self employed and carry around 500-600 pounds of Land Surveying Gear with an aluminum Diamondback Bed Cover everywhere I go.

I use the Airstream a 28' 1999 Safari for out of town work along with long weekend trips to various hunting camps and shooting ranges anywhere from 6 hours to 10 hours one way from my house.

So as you can see after I load up the surveying gear, shooting / hunting gear, fill the AS with fresh water and the tank with 24 gallons of fuel I'm typically way over my payload weight.

So I've got the choices narrowed down to the following....

Option #1 Chevy/GMC 2500 HD with the Diesel

Option #2 Dodge 2500 with the Diesel

So the Dodge is giving 9k-11k off the 2500 trucks right now and I'm afraid the Chevys will not be as competitive with their pricing.

Also I know the engine's published numbers on the Dodge is greater but the Chevy is about 800 lbs. lighter and seems to have the better exhaust braking system....

I've also read with the straight axle up front on the Dodge seems to go out of alignment more often and requires more frequent tires and brakes due to the heavier chassis.

This is a 12-15 year purchase for me as that is the time frame the diesel must be kept to offset the 9k upcharge for the Diesel Motor.

I really like the price of the Dodge and the simplicity Cummins In-Line 6 cylinder...

But the refinement, braking and transmission of the Chevy seem to be really attractive.

Can both owners for the Chevy/GMC and Dodge weight in on their experience including maintenance cost and MPG for their tow vehicle .

This will be my first diesel and if I only was a weekend warrior I'm sure the Tundra would continue to work for me but as I usually need a bed full of Surveying Gear and potentially an ATV on top of the Diamondback Bed Cover
DiamondBack ATV Carrier | ATV Truck Rack | ATV Hauler | Side-by-Side Hauler

I just think the time has come to upgrade to a HD Truck.

Much thanks and I appreciate your input.
map-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
I recently was faced with the same dilemma as you. My 01 F-250, 7.3 had almost 300K miles and I felt it was about time. After much research I decided on the HD 2500 Denali. So far I have not been disappointed despite the fact that my grandson has had to educate me on all the new technology and how to use it. The present Isuzu engine has been time tested with exceptional results. You already know the benefits of the Allison transmission. I also think that the GMC is a more attractive truck.

If you have any interest in joining the Suncoast Airstream group send me a PM. We have a great group and several members in your neighborhood.

>>ron<<
Old 09-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Naples , Florida
Ron,
That would be great.
I'll send you a PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
I haven't driven the Duramax but the exhaust brake on my Ram is definitely up to the task (and we just towed our 27FB through the Rockies in Montana a couple weeks ago)... minimal braking is required when in Tow/Haul mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
I do not trust any Chrysler product for durability. They look better (styling-wise) than Ford or GM, but in the long run, they are just plain crap (based on over thirty years of unscientific observations.) No offense intended to any loyal Chrysler owners, you have your reasons for owning them.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Quoting a retired Cummings Diesel factory employee, "The engines we supply to Dodge are not up to the engineering specifications we supply to commercial customers. Our big truck engines are engineered to go 500,000 miles and rebuildable for another 500,000 miles."
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
I don't think any pickup truck is built to the same standards as a commercial road tractor (for obvious reasons). As for the Big 3 diesel pickups, I think they're pretty comparable in quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Just an Observation

I finally bought a nice 2500 HD Denali last week. While hunting there were lots of half tons from Ford, Chevy, Ram, and a few badged as GMC. When it came to 3/4 tons and 1 ton trucks, there were far more Rams than either Ford or Chevy - and locally in the last month I only saw 2 GMC diesels, one of which I bought.

I did ask two dealers - both who just shrugged when I asked why there were relatively more Rams than either Fords or Chevy's. Even in the Ram trucks gassers were far more common than diesels.

My supposition is that most people who spend the extra money on diesel PLAN to keep them for years. And those who buy over a half ton usually need the bigger trucks so they aren't traded as quickly either. The preponderance of newer Ram 3/4 and 1 ton trucks...? Maintenance issues would seem to be one logical explanation, but I just don't know.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:00 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Naples , Florida
Thanks for all of the replies guys....
For me this is a long term investment and I drove a Dodge 3/4 Cummins on Saturday and was really blown away with the truck but the longevity and maintenance compared to the GM products.

What I am finding in my market SW Florida there are no cloth interior GM Trucks all are LTZ leather seats with all the frills.
The Dodges can still be had with the cloth interior and in Florida the leather just gets too hot and I had rather save the extra 4k....

I plan to work the best deal I can between the two and see where the numbers hit.

Please keep the feedback coming as I plan to do the trade in the next 2-3 weeks....
Old 09-21-2015, 08:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
What you said... but did you realize that the LTZ leather seats are heated and AIR Conditioned? No bull. They'll ice your tush in a minute!
Old 09-21-2015, 08:37 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I just switched over from my 2010 Tundra to a 2015 Ram 2500 CTD Crew Cab 4x4 Big Horn with cloth seats. I've had it a little over a month. I don't drive it much and only have 900 miles. This weekend I towed my Airstream about 90 miles in undulating terrain including some narrow and hilly terrain with 20mph curves. The initial impression of this first serious tow is I prefer the Ram towing my 25fb Classic better than the Tundra. The brakes are more responsive, the transmission shifts down when needed under tow/haul, the exhaust brake works well and the ITBC is better than the Prodigy P2 I had in the Tundra. My hydraulic trailer brakes slight delay is hardly felt with the Ram system.

We test drove a Chevy 2500HD Duramax LT with cloth seats and preferred the Ram overall. They are both capable trucks. You just have to drive both and compare all the features of both. The advertised prices on these truck was within $2k of each other but there was more selection of Ram trucks to look at vs GM 2500HD unless you wanted to go gas.

Having never owned diesel I wasn't aware that trying to find the diesel pumps in stations is something you have to be conscious of especially towing a trailer. You just can't pull into an island and expect diesel to be there. If you are in a small town the diesel may be to the side of the store and not in the main island. If the diesel pumps are in the islands they seem to be on the outside islands which can often be filled with cars pumping gas while the middle islands are empty of cars.

I've only got 900 miles on my Ram. I started with a full tank from the dealer and it lasted 450 miles of mixed city/highway. Computer showed 18mpg but hand calculated was 16.4mpg. I filled up just as the low fuel light went on. Tank is 31 gal and it took 27.3 gal. The 2nd tank I got 453 but includes my 75 miles of AS towing. The low fuel warning light came on 5 miles outside of town on the return trip from the campground. Dropped the AS at home and then filled up. Took about 28.2 gallons and hand calculated 16mpg vs computer 16+. Before the trip this weekend the computer showed 19 mpg. I would think that is a little optimistic. I should've filled the tank before I towed the Airstream. I won't get any opportunities to drive solo or tow long distances for a while.

Kelvin
Old 09-21-2015, 08:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Hi, and hope the wheels are working out for you. I bought the Ram, largely because I couldn't find any chevy or GMC trucks in my area when I was looking. I have been pleased with it, both from a towing and braking perspective. The Blue Ridge is not the Rockies, but the Ram, fully loaded in the bed, pulled the 6-mile 8% grade towing my Safari 25 at 55 that my F150 5.4 balked at last year, and coming down I77 at the virginia line and other places I didnt have to touch the brake pedal. Also we love the mega-cab for hauling our dogs.

At 65 i get better mileage (14-15) towing than my F150 got when not towing at 70. The Ram gets better mileage around town, about 17-18.

I am slightly concerned about reliability, but i will mitigate that with an extended warranty. That will work for my 6-year window, but maybe not for you. My read of the forums is that there are issues with both of them, and you could get a good truck or a bad one in either case.

I have discovered that it takes more time than i would expect to get a Ram service appointment. My guess is they have sold more diesels than they can service in some markets. Call some dealers in your area and see how long you have to wait to get a truck in for diagnosis and repair, not just for an oil change. More than one dealer in your area is a plus. We have a Ram dealer in town, but the next closest is an hour away.

If you buy an extended warranty, check into the coverage. With the Ram, the radio head unit is tightly coupled to the truck systems. The warranty I have bought in the past doesn't cover "sound reproduction equipment", and they confirmed that the head unit was not covered.

Godd luck with your choice. My thought was that the ideal vehicle would be one with the Cummins engine and the Allison transmission, but nobody makes that truck.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Download the manuals on both. There is not much to the maintenance of the Ram CTD. Oil changes and replace the fuel filter on schedule. I expect I'll run the 6 months limit before the mileage. I haven't used any DEF for the 900 miles I've driven. The DEF gauge is still on the Full mark. I guess no regens have taken place yet.

Kelvin
Old 09-21-2015, 08:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I declined the 7 year extended warranty because we will not be using the truck that much for 3 years before retirement. I doubt the truck will have 20k miles in 3 years. I commute to work in a 10yr old Honda Civic. The warranty was $2400 and if it had been a Chrysler warranty vs one from an insurance company I might have gone with it. The dealership carries several lines of manufacturers in their network so they don't use the factory extended warranties but get one from an insurance company to cover all their manufacturers. I felt they did this more to the benefit of them than a customer. I'm sure when my 3 year warranty comes of age I'll get an offer from Chrysler/Ram for an extended warranty. If I have warranty claims that will help me decide.

There is also the 5yr/100k power train warranty still in affect.

Kelvin
Old 09-21-2015, 08:52 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Do not forget that a diesel costs more to buy and maintain and buy fuel for than a gas model. Remember, when you compare a Ram to GMC, Chevy and Ford that you get what you pay for. Also, GMC, Chevy and Ford are AMERICAN owned companies unlike the Italian owned Chrysler company.
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Is the Tundra performing well?
I would want to keep the Tundra.
No other truck has a back seat as big as the Tundra or wide, fully opening rear doors like Tundra. I am always towing near or over payload by the numbers, but the Tundra doesn't seem to know or care.
If you are convinced you need a new truck, try a 3/4 ton GM Duramax/Allison.
We have a fleet of them at work. They are beasts.
I have 0 experience with Ram.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:39 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by map-it View Post

I've also read with the straight axle up front on the Dodge seems to go out of alignment more often and requires more frequent tires and brakes due to the heavier chassis.

The Ram 2500 does not have a straight front axle. Like Chevy and Ford the 3/4 toners are all independent coil spring front ends. With the exception of the RAM, I believe since 2014 models, the RAM 2500 is unique in that the rear suspension is also spring versus a leaf spring suspension. There is also an option on the Ram 2500 for a rear air suspension instead of the coil. If you have not driven this Ram suspension configuration you should do so, impressive for a HD.

You might also consider a gas in your HD if you are not needing 800 lbs of torque. The Ram 5.7 and 6.4 they are good performers for a substantial less cost.

I have owned 3 Ford diesels (6.0, 6.4, 6.7) and a Chevy in not their good years. I ordered and took delivery of a Ram with 5.7 in March and already have 5,000 miles pulling a 25FC and 16,000 miles total. Absolutely love everything about it. It has impressed me enough that I will be ordering a 2500 Cummins for the 2016 models.

I don't think you can make a mistake in your choice. They all ride pretty good loaded. They almost all ride like crap unloaded, but again test drive the all coil spring Ram 2500, unloaded. Good luck.
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:46 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I have or have had both Chevy and Dodge (3/4 and 1 ton). There are trade offs in both. Can't go wrong either way.

I think the Chevy's are a more comfortable ride.

Or I thought 2016 the Tundra was to have a cummins in 2016 year models. It will most likely be half ton.
DaKarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
We just went through this ourselves about a month ago. We drove all of the big three new and liked the new GM's the best, but the Ram was a close second, rode better, and was much cheaper. We ended up finding a low mileage 2014 RAM for an excellent deal. We could not find any of the newer style GM's at a good deal. We just put a 1200 mile camping trip on it and were very impressed. I love the way the Silverado looks, but I just could not justify the price difference. I do not regret the RAM. It drives easier than the GM (in my opinion) and rides better as well. It is a little louder, but I liked that as well. In my opinion they are both great choices though.
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:04 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
Love my RAM 2500 Diesel

I use a 2013 RAM 2500 Diesel Big Horn to two my 25' AS, and love it. My brother in law has over 500K miles on his with no engine work; and my Father law had about the same. Due to their recommendation and the great price, I went with the RAM - and have not been disappointed. Also - the exhaust break works great. I also thought the cabin interior was nicer and seats slightly more comfortable. I have also heard good things about the Chevy. Actually - probably can't go to far wrong with either Chevy or RAM. Older Ford's had MPG issues -- but I suspect the newer ones are much better now.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote