View Poll Results: If you were going to buy a new truck would you?
Buy a new 2007 Full Sized Tundra with the 5.7L engine 18 18.75%
Wait until Toyota offered a Diesal Option 20 20.83%
Buy another foreign Brand 1 1.04%
Buy an American Brand 57 59.38%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2006, 07:44 AM   #57
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Wow! The overwhelming results of this poll sure says a lot about the
propensities of this group! Rather refreshing to see those numbers...
At this time the poll shows Toyota at 19 vehicles and the big 3 at 31 vehicles. If we could break that down with a speculation factor the numbers look something like.....

Toyota 19
Ford 11
GM 10
Dodge 10

Old 12-21-2006, 09:29 AM   #58
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Or as expressed in another current poll;
View Poll Results: Tow Vehicle choices Toyota Tundra 411.11%Nissan Titan 513.89%Chevy or GMC 1644.44%Dodge Ram 25.56%Ford 925.00%

located at; http://www.airforums.com/forum...ing-20996.html

I am unable to understand when folks gloat at the fact that the US economy is in so much trouble?

Much of our economy revolves around major industry like automotive and aerospace, and all the tier suppliers that support that industry.

Why is it satisfying to see all that money, and all those jobs go to foreign owned companies?

Am I missing something?

Any way, the rseponse to the post and poll tells the story here at AS Central!

Old 12-21-2006, 09:46 AM   #59
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:

If I am correct, that Dodge is available with engines ranging from a 6 cyl up to a Hemi.
nope. no hemi available in '00.
Quote:
What block and rear end are in that Dodge?
What block and rear end in that Datsun?
Then we can compare apples!
Quote:
...The new yota may be a competitor to a 1/2 ton, but not a 3/4 ton truck...lets keep things in perspective.
the "old" one was, too. that is my point. When I bought my truck, the Nissan didn't yet exist, but the 'yoda did. all the performance numbers were so close amongst these competitors, there was just no discernable difference.

Quote:
I can also attest, that anyone who is towing 25' or more with a 1/2 ton (or less!) vehicle just hasn't had the opportunity to tow with a 3/4 ton.
well, that's simply not true. I've towed much heavier loads with much heavier trucks in my previous employment. We had a variety of differently-abled trucks, and various and sundry loads. If I happened to score a good combo one day, sure that was nice. But if I didn't...so what? so I go a little slower on the hills. so it takes more attention when you're at your max weight. same applies with the biggest truck, pulling the biggest load. we used them up to their capacity. But I got paid the same either way. I think thats a big part of these discussions...some people insist on the ultimate experience, at all times. Dipping below 70mph whilst crossing the rocky mountains is "unacceptable". absense of the slightest perception of a load attached to the rig is the goal. If I had to have the most absolutely optimal powertrain for hauling my camper...and ONLY my camper, without regard to the other 98% of my lifestyle....I'd be driving a motorhome. But I have other transportation needs and uses for a truck, and a limited budget, and therefore, must strike a balance.
Quote:
Been there, done that. One trip with my 25 Excella and the 1/2 ton and I was at the dealer trading in for a 3/4 ton.
well that must be nice to be able to do. During the process of my last truck purchase, I saw a truck equipped exactly like mine...except it was 3/4ton with a diesel. Sure, that would've been "neat", but it was 40% more expensive. F O R T Y P E R C E N T. Sorry, thats just unacceptable. I broke the bank to buy what I got.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:56 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
US or Gloabl Entity

Quote:
I am unable to understand when folks gloat at the fact that the US economy is in so much trouble?

Much of our economy revolves around major industry like automotive and aerospace, and all the tier suppliers that support that industry.

Why is it satisfying to see all that money, and all those jobs go to foreign owned companies?
I don't know if its gloating at the trouble that these large companies are in or if it's general frustration with the fact that these companies stopped competing, sat back and watched the foreign companies eat their lunch. Personally, I hope to see US companies rally and come back to compete but as the prior posts, these are not JUST US companies anymore these are global entities. Some of these are turning into global failures, maybe they should concentrate on the US???? Seems to me they have their heads elsewhere at times......

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:12 AM   #61
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
[quote=chuck]nope. no hemi available in '00.

quote]

Does that mean you have a 6 cyl and 3:53 rear end?
We still don't have the details...

Wasn't me who made the specifications of the upcoming 2007 Toyota; it is Toyota! It is being marketed as a 1/2 ton, shares payload, towing, specs with all the other 1/2 tons out there.

I don't see anything, anywhere , that would put this in 3/4 ton league, including Toyotas own publications...
Old 12-21-2006, 10:27 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
If you pull more weight with less capability, you're probably doing at least two things in the process. 1. Reducing the lifespan and/or increasing the need for maintainance of your TV; and 2. Reducing the safety margin of your towing as you are more likely pushing the capacity envelope on a TV smaller than a 3/4 ton.

The larger the buffer to your GCWR, the better off you in most cases.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:47 AM   #63
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
But I have other transportation needs and uses for a truck, and a limited budget, and therefore, must strike a balance.

well that must be nice to be able to do. During the process of my last truck purchase, I saw a truck equipped exactly like mine...except it was 3/4ton with a diesel. Sure, that would've been "neat", but it was 40% more expensive. F O R T Y P E R C E N T. Sorry, thats just unacceptable. I broke the bank to buy what I got.
I bought a new 3/4 ton Burb to tow my 25' Safari because I could. In retrospect, I really should have looked at a low mileage pre-owned. Either way though, a good 3/4 ton gasser, new or pre-owned would in fact be better than most 1/2 tons out there and also far below the 40% premium that has been suggested. My point here is that there are alternatives in the 3/4 arena.

Sure diesel is better and Chuck is right, there is a premium to get a diesel. If you have a load of near 10k or more, it really is the better choice, but a good big block can do it too and more importantly with going with a 3/4 ton in the domestics, you typically get the upgraded chassis, brakes, transmission, differential, engine upgrade, etc where the Toyotas and Nissans of the world of today don't get in their "Big Tow" pacakges to justify the differences between the base models tow capacity and the models with the additional tow capacity by adding said Big Tow packages.

I have just as many reservations about buying a pre-owned as the next person, but I will say that if one wants to do the right thing, there are more ways than one. Again, I don't want to suggest a 3/4 for smaller loads and don't want to suggest either that a Peterbilt or Mack is needed for a Bambi. My focus is strictly on 25' and larger newer trailers that have higher GVWRs towing with real light trucks, having been down the quasi 1/2 ton and moved to a 3/4 ton, the difference is night and day as has been suggested. Until you do go this route, I can fully understand the reservations and comments being made, because I too was there and am a convert.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
The US Economy is in trouble? Not sure but last time I looked ( today) most indicators were up. Inflation moderate right now, jobs report is good, stocks up, but alas.... our big auto makers are still not getting the point on reliability and such. Even with German ownership of one of them.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:10 PM   #65
Craftsman

I think that they get the point on reliability load and clear .The average U.S. consumer has such an isatiable lust for cheap imported products of any kind that if the U.S. economy isn't in trouble now, give it another ten years of trade with China.I don't consider myself an economic isolationist but I try to buy as many " made in America" products as I can. We're shipping most our manufacturing jobs to China and communication and higher tech jobs to India. Toyota and Nissan set up shop in the U.S. because wages are cheaper and they avoid import tax on made in america Toyotas.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:16 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Dunlap , Illinois
Caterpillar engines in pick-up trucks

Although this post is about 46 posts late, I read this entire thread for the first time today. As a retiree with 35 years in management at Caterpillar, 20 of which were in the Engine Division, I should respond to two statements about the company that are not true. First, Caterpillar is not controlled by any Asian company or interest. Secondly Caterpillar does not own John Deere. We are competitors. Caterpillar's closest association with pickups was as a supplier of the fuel systems used on the Powerstrokes that Navistar built mostly for Ford. That has not been the case for the 6.0 liter versions. While our niche has been for larger, more severe applications, if someone with volume to justify it were to request a pickup engine, I'll bet it would be a very solid performer.

Saddletramp
Old 12-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #67
_

. , .
Quote:
if someone with volume to justify it were to request a pickup engine, I'll bet it would be a very solid performer. Saddletramp
yea baby! i want a caterpillar in my truck!

ford or toyota, bring it on...

thanks for the post,

saddletramp.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:52 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
yea baby! i want a caterpillar in my truck!

ford or toyota, bring it on...

thanks for the post,

saddletramp.

cheers
2air'
Very funny
Let me figure away to stuff a good used Cat 3406 and a pair Eaton gear boxes in my Ford
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:52 PM   #69
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Took a look at a few GM cars and I gotta tell you, the interiors are very nice. I was shocked at the Saturn Aura. It was like a Caddy inside. The GM truckline and other car lines also seem to have substantial improvements.

I thought I also recall that Ford also had the top 2 or darn near the top 2 cars in initial quality.

It's a start, but in the end, when it comes to the truck market, the big 3 currently own the market.....hopefully they won't screw it up like they typically do with most everything else.....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:13 PM   #70
Rivet Master

We have a f