View Poll Results: If you were going to buy a new truck would you?
Buy a new 2007 Full Sized Tundra with the 5.7L engine 18 18.75%
Wait until Toyota offered a Diesal Option 20 20.83%
Buy another foreign Brand 1 1.04%
Buy an American Brand 57 59.38%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2006, 03:36 PM   #43
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Since this is a Tundra/Toyota thread, I'm going to keep it on topic and not continue to hijack it for discussion on the Titan which not only has it's own thread, but also has pretty much the same info from current and past owners of the Titan. There is nothing new to offer here on the Titan subject.

I'll be looking for this thread in January when the new Tundra is released.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:04 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Obviously once again where tow vehicles are concerned opinion run strong.
No matter what the opinions are,there are those out there towing big trailer with Toyota Forerunners, Chevy Astro Vans and other less than suitable tvs.
It becomes a matter of reading the facts, the ratings, and deciding what you want to do ,,,,oh yeah and what you can afford.
I had that 97 F250 PSD 4x4 HD, and hated it most of the time I owned it. Not to say they aren't good trucks, just not for me.

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:32 PM   #45
_

. , .
i shopped nissan and toyota...neither had enough grunt 4 my little trailer...

i tried to find a q-steer to test drive and none were available at 30+ dealers...

i almost purchased a dodge but the 05 interior lacked...the new ones are nicer now....

the ford psd superduty won with the integrated brake controller, so i reluctantly purchased my first big 3 ride...

this truck is great. i cannot wait to drive a new one. i love the diesel...

it IS the best ford i've ever owned,

and excellent dealer service has been an unexpected surprise...

plus i keep eyeing that ford gt on the show room floor....

or maybe a vette? like the superduty it's built in ken-tuck-y...

but i would try a texas toyota IF it came with a big ole diesel...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:57 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
yeah. my friends with the nissan and a 30-foot late model a/s met me at a toll booth last summer on the way to a rally...they pulled away and left me in the dust....me and my REAL (american?) 1/2-ton with the shorty vintage trailer. what a piece of crap those foreign trucks are.
But did you ever see them going up a hill.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:04 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
You said yourself that it is unsafe because of its wheelbase. The Nissan trucks have the same wheelbase as any other truck, 1/2, 3/4, or one ton, they're all the same! (except maybe those super-duper-crew thingies, but that's a relatively new developement).
Wrong.... GMC | ALL-New GMC Sierra: Trucks: 1500, 2500HD, 3500 Pickups: ALL-New Sierra Specifications
Old 12-20-2006, 05:17 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Quote:
yeah. my friends with the nissan and a 30-foot late model a/s met me at a toll booth last summer on the way to a rally...they pulled away and left me in the dust....me and my REAL (american?) 1/2-ton with the shorty vintage trailer. what a piece of crap those foreign trucks are.
I'm pretty sure Nissan trucks are also made in America now. No wonder they tow with so much power.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:18 PM   #49
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
yeah, that's where I lost 'em. they were accelerating up and over the top, while I was coughing up chunks, trying (and failing) to even 'maintain' my speed.

well, I looked at the page, and at another that lists titan specs and the wheelbases are not significantly different, so I don't know what you mean by "wrong". the chevy comes in more sizes...(mostly shorter) the only one significantly larger was the crew-cab long-box, which I already discounted. seems to me to be more or less comparable to the old "traditional" regular cab/long box of ~140".
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:14 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Truck

Quote:
You drive a peterbilt right? Or was it a kenworth?

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:55 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Sounds like Chuck needs a new truck. I think the couple in question would agree they would like to have more pull for their 28 footer.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:33 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Whhaaaatttt?!!!

Quote:
You mean my Toyota Tacoma can go up a hill? Darn it. Wished I had known that. I coulda made a rally or two.

Seriously, with the 19' Bambi I have been able to go anywhere I want, as fast as I want (and a WHOLE lot faster than my wife wants!), whenever I want.

I love my truck. I've been reading up on the Tundra also. But, if I had a larger rig I would probably go with the diesel Ford 250 or the Chevy/GMC diesel with the Allison tranny.

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:46 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, sounds like some of you have already beat this Toyota thing to death. Their 5.7 L engine seems to have a lot of horsepower and torque according to article in Trailer Life. My guess was that Toyota would use the Duramax Diesel since it was made by Isuzu; Now that Toyota and Isuzu are together.

And some of you seem to think that I should sell my [ 1/2 Ton ] Navigator and buy no less than a Kenworth to tow my 25' Airstream, while others still contend to believe I could tow it with a Go-Cart as long as it has a Hensley Arrow hitch. Is this the meaning of extreamist?

These are just my undocumented, unscientific, personal opinions!

Bob
Old 12-21-2006, 07:15 AM   #54
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Wow! The overwhelming results of this poll sure says a lot about the
propensities of this group! Rather refreshing to see those numbers...

Quote:
If I am correct, that Dodge is available with engines ranging from a 6 cyl up to a Hemi.
What block and rear end are in that Dodge?
What block and rear end in that Datsun?
Then we can compare apples!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
As for the point of this whole thread.....I'm taking a wait and see attitude toward the new Toyota offering coming out next month. We may all be welcoming the first real 3/4 truck, or will see MOTS (more of the same) that we've already seen. I'm keeping an open mind until I get more detailed info.
The new yota may be a competitor to a 1/2 ton, but not a 3/4 ton truck...lets keep things in perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I respectfully and completely disagree with the notion that the "B" platform is not comparing apples to apples. Maybe different size apples, but still apples, nonetheless. When one says it left me in the dust, one can take that a number of ways. My Impala SS will, without question out tow any Titan out there today that is a factory built machine every day of the week and twice on Sunday. That may sound all neat and cool, until you get bigger than a 23' trailer in high winds and that is where the limitations of the 1/2 ton start to show.

The "B" platform on which the Impala SS, Caprice (Classic), Roadmaster and Caddy Fleetwood is based, is basically a 1/2 ton car. If you look at the half ton Tahoe, or Suburban, you WILL find very similar, if not near identical components (4L60e, 8.5 gearing, body on frame construction (at one point similar sized engines). One of the MAIN reasons the "B" platform was discontinued was because folks like me were buying these cars instead of trucks, which were more profitable, so they closed the Arlington, TX plant, retooled and made more profitable trucks (or at least did) out of the same plant, except with no more "B" (and "D" Fleetwood) body cars, since late 1996, where all body on frame car production stopped and has never returned.

I fully agree that the Titan is a 1/2 ton truck and do not discount it for it's merits as a 1/2 ton truck. I have no direct towing exp, but I would think that it would be far more useful in towing more than a jet ski. Towing 25 or more feet of trailer? Given the specs they share of the big tow pacakge that magically brings it to it's stated rating? That's where I start to get uncomfortable and why I went with a genuine 3/4 ton light truck/SUV.
Boy is that all true. As someone who worked in the automotive industry for many years, and is intimate with the hardware and components of many of these platforms, I can vouch for that.
I can also attest, that anyone who is towing 25' or more with a 1/2 ton (or less!) vehicle just hasn't had the opportunity to tow with a 3/4 ton. Been there, done that. One trip with my 25 Excella and the 1/2 ton and I was at the dealer trading in for a 3/4 ton. There is a big difference between having a TV that is in control and one that is being pushed around. No amount of hp can compensate for a 3/4 ton chassis, brakes, suspension. You may think that spongy feeling,all that engine whining, and tranny hunting is normal, I didn't find it very comforting after moving up from a smaller camper to the 25'. Now I am in control again, more relaxed, and safer, behind the wheel.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:34 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Toyota Taking #2 US Spot by Mid Jan

Here's an interesting article I picked from cnnfn.com this morning. It is not specific to the Tundra.

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Ford Motor Co. expects Japan's Toyota Motor Corp. to unseat it next year as the second biggest company behind General Motors Corp. in the American car market, a position Ford has held since the 1920s, the New York Times said on its Web site Thursday.

Citing internal Ford projections, the paper says the projections show that company officers believe Ford will permanently fall to third place as soon as January.

Ford (Charts), which is struggling to restructure itself under a plan called The Way Forward, predicted in September that its market share within two years would bottom out at 14 to 15 percent of the market, making it smaller than Toyota is now, the paper said.

While it had not specifically predicted that it would end up behind Toyota, the implication was clear, the New York Times said.

Edmunds.com, a Web site offering car-buying advice, plans to issue its own forecast Thursday that will echo the internal Ford projections, predicting second place for Toyota (Charts) by mid-2007, the paper said.

The New York Times said that Ford's chief sales statistician, George Pipas, declined to comment Wednesday night on the internal projections. Of the Edmunds forecast, Mr. Pipas said only: "Unless you think Toyota is going to go backwards, it's a good possibility that they will gain market share," according to the paper.

Ford was not immediately available for comment.

Toyota is already bigger than Ford globally, and is rivaling the world's largest automaker, General Motors (Charts).

Old 12-21-2006, 07:42 AM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Wow! The overwhelming results of this poll sure says a lot about the
propensities of this group! Rather refreshing to see those numbers...
To bad we don't have other numbers to compare against from prior years. I think if we were to run this poll three-four years back the vast majority would have chosen the american brands, moreso out of practicality than anything.

The fact that 60% chose the traditional "American" brand while 39% chose Toyota is surprising. Take the prior article and these numbers togther and I get a bit of a sick feeling that it's not just a US auto industry issue at work here.....