View Poll Results: If you were going to buy a new truck would you?
Buy a new 2007 Full Sized Tundra with the 5.7L engine 18 18.75%
Wait until Toyota offered a Diesal Option 20 20.83%
Buy another foreign Brand 1 1.04%
Buy an American Brand 57 59.38%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2006, 06:06 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Which Toyota tow vehicle

Hi,

We are just new to trailers and will likely close the deal this week on a new 27' Safari FB. We are trying to decide between the 4Runner with a 7,000 lb tow capacity, the Lexus GX470 with a 6,500 tow capacity or an Explorer or Durango (not the Hemi since it is too thirsty).

The trailer's weight is 5,400 and we travel very light. Does anyone have a suggestion on a vehicle from the choices above? We like the Lexus since it is just a couple of thousand $ more than the 4Runner. We also like the reliability of the Toyota/Lexus products.

We have never towed anything before and would really appreciate some advice. We live in Ontario and plan trips to Alaska and western Canada and the US.

Thank you.

Old 12-19-2006, 06:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjboswell
We are just new to trailers and will likely close the deal this week on a new 27' Safari FB. We are trying to decide between the 4Runner with a 7,000 lb tow capacity, the Lexus GX470 with a 6,500 tow capacity or an Explorer or Durango (not the Hemi since it is too thirsty).

The trailer's weight is 5,400 and we travel very light. Does anyone have a suggestion on a vehicle from the choices above? We like the Lexus since it is just a couple of thousand $ more than the 4Runner. We also like the reliability of the Toyota/Lexus products.
The specs suggest that the 27 FB is virtually identical to the 25 FB that we have. If that is the case, I would seriously doubt that you would be satisfied with SUVs masquerading as tow vehicles. The Durango is built on a truck frame so it is capable but not without the 5.7 liter Hemi. You may be shortchanging yourself unless you go for substance over style and certainly torque matters along with the full tow package with its various extra coolers and heavy-duty components. Good luck, but don't be fooled by marketing brochures.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:28 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Welcome to the forums.
To add to the above, if you are planning to travel in the Rocky mountains, you will need every horse available under the hood to get you up one side, and the mass of a larger vehicle to keep the trailer from pushing you back down the other side. Halfway up a 15 mile long 10% grade with your foot flat on the floor, and moving 2 mph is not a good thing.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:03 PM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Bottom line is that time will tell. As for right now and in the short term, the domestics get my vote (regardless of where assembled) because they have the hardware needed to really move 10k+. Perhaps the day may come when foreign companies will step up...perhaps 2007 is their year....maybe not.

If things don't change at Ford, they can sell 2x the trucks they sell, it won't make a difference when they become part of GM if they don't play their cards right.

As for CAT engines, great, I see in 1999 the pdf shows they have the hardware....odd that they haven't done much with it but a pdf propaganda tool.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:21 PM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Toyo-pillar?

What a lot of folks don't know is that Caterpillar has been controlled by Asian (I think Japanese) interests for around 20 years. It is very possible that Toyota may strike a deal with Cat for a light-duty truck diesel engine.
BTW, and not relevent, but Cat owns John Deere.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:24 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
What a lot of folks don't know is that Caterpillar has been controlled by Asian (I think Japanese) interests for around 20 years. It is very possible that Toyota may strike a deal with Cat for a light-duty truck diesel engine.
BTW, and not relevent, but Cat owns John Deere.
I was wondering why my lawn mower was sounding like a CAT heavy machinery piece!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 12-19-2006, 07:27 PM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That Asian company wouldn't happen to be Komatsu would it? When I was in sales, we use to sell a lot of computer equipment to them about 10 years ago....there were growing by leaps and bounds.....
Old 12-19-2006, 09:29 PM   #22
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
well i figured someone would catch this eventually...

but terry u r 2 sharp, and so quick to the trigger!

it's been 40 years of partnership, and 20 since the formal merger...

Caterpillar Dealer Identity: Customer Loyalty and an Extraordinary Partnership Design Management Review

last week someone posted a survey that showed how u.s. buyers are influenced by brand name;

especially in the truck market...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ic-28479.html?

the brand name has got to play in peoria and cat' sure does...

no not komatsu...

surely you've seen new cat's with the purple logo?

SCB LTD.

so i guess suggesting a cat'yota wasn't so crazy...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:51 PM   #23

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Hi,

We have never towed anything before and would really appreciate some advice. We live in Ontario and plan trips to Alaska and western Canada and the US.

Thank you.
To tow with either of these will crate a very marginal towing experience. You will probably be a very unhappy camper. What you are proposing will create yet another very expensive piece of yard art.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:25 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Burien , Washington
Quote:
Hi,

Thank you.
If the 27 FB has the same specs as the 25 FB then the Gross Vehicle Weight is 7,300 pounds. 5400 would be empty, so you need to include your water, propane, and what you provision it with. You can easily exceed your Tow Vehicle tow rating real quick. This will become not only a comfort issue, but, a safety issue.

We just purchased the Safari 25 FB and replace our 1/2 ton Suburban with a GMC 3/4 ton truck. As much as I would have liked to have a suburban, it made more sense to me to have the truck and power of a bigger engine. I am very pleased with my decision, especially with the diesel option.

If you are concerned about fuel economy, you might want to investigate a truck with a diesel engine.

Sam Roffe
Old 12-19-2006, 11:51 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier, California , Depoe Bay, Oregon
Which Toyota Tow Vehicle?

Quote:
Hi,

Thank you.
Welcome to the airstream fraternity. You are doing the right thing to educate yourself before you buy. There is a ton of info here on sizing the tow vehicle to handle the task at hand safely and efficiently. The search feature will bring this info to you.

The tone of the comments from others is telling you the 27 ft trailer is too long and heavy for the vehicles you have in mind. If the 27 ft is the one, then the alternative is to look to longer, heavier, and more powerful tow vehicles.

One key trailer value to use in your eval process is the GVW. In your case, perhaps 7300#. Review of posts here show that folks struggle to not exceed the GVW. In recent years, Airsteam is well known for providing a very modest wt allowance for personal stuff. Consider weighting the unit before you buy to see the effects of the various options already in place. It's a real eye opener. Only costs $10 or so at a commercial CAT scale and very valuable in sizing your truck purchase.

My personal experience is with a 22ft model with a GVW of 5600#. I tow with a GMC Yukon, 6.0L, 340 HP and 380 #ft of torque rated to tow about 8000#. Used mostly in the intermountain west at elevations and temperatures that reduce the effective capability of the engine from its rated values. This combo works well together, but there have been an occasion or two where it was evident that this combo was reaching its limit. If I were to go to a longer, heavier trailer, I'd absolutely change the tow vehicle too. Something like a 3/4 ton surburban with a big block gas engine or the duramax/allison combo if they would build it.

Welcome aboard and let us know how you like your new rig.

2003 22ft CCD Int'l
2005 GMC Yukon Denali
WBCCI #2960
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:29 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Overlander63,

Where did you get your info on Cat ownership by a foreign company? I have a particular interest and would like to followup.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:47 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Yota and a Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung
The specs suggest that the 27 FB is virtually identical to the 25 FB that we have. If that is the case, I would seriously doubt that you would be satisfied with SUVs masquerading as tow vehicles. The Durango is built on a truck frame so it is capable but not without the 5.7 liter Hemi. You may be shortchanging yourself unless you go for substance over style and certainly torque matters along with the full tow package with its various extra coolers and heavy-duty components. Good luck, but don't be fooled by marketing brochures.
I have to agree. Friends of ours tow with a Nissan and are more or less happy with it, as long as their are no mountains. Rich Luhr tows with a Nissan and I'm assuming he is pleased with it so far, at least his blog doesn't say otherwise.

The towing capacity on the current Toyota line-up is a little small for a 27' IMHO and I own both the Tundra and Sequia. (yes, Exxon loves me). I would tow a 22' but I would not be keen on going larger. I always liked the idea of staying at least < 75% of the max towing capacity.

I think if I had allot more money and wanted a bling ride for towing, I would seriously look at the Range Rover Sport HSE. 400HP and a 7700lb towing capacity. Mind you I own vintage so the weight is not as much of an issue for the longer trailers. Alas, my cup is empty

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:36 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
I can't wait to hear the reviews on the new Tundra. Seems like it will be a highly capable 1/2 ton truck. From my experience (06 Nissan Titan), I would not tow a 25' Airstream with less than a 3/4 ton truck. After all your cargo, personnel, supplies, etc... are added in a 1/2 ton truck, it is not in my estimation a comfortable tow experience. A 3/4 ton (I have an 06 PSD) provides you with a greater margin of comfort and safety in my opinion.