Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

New Toyota FJ Cruiser as a tow vehicle?

Hello to all. I have a 2004 25" Safari. I am curious if anyone has an opinion about using the new Toyota FJ Cruiser as a tow vehicle? It has a towing capacity of 5000#. I am looking for the smallest tow vehicle I can get by with because I am moving to Boston and will need to drive in town often. Any help would be appreciated. Below is a link to the specs. Thanks in advance.

http://www.toyota.com/fjcruiser/specs.html
chickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:22 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickin
Hello to all. I have a 2004 25" Safari. I am curious if anyone has an opinion about using the new Toyota FJ Cruiser as a tow vehicle? It has a towing capacity of 5000#. I am looking for the smallest tow vehicle I can get by with because I am moving to Boston and will need to drive in town often. Any help would be appreciated. Below is a link to the specs. Thanks in advance.

http://www.toyota.com/fjcruiser/specs.html
Chickin,

I see two problems, one - the wheelbase is only 105.9" (should be at least 120") and two - our 1979 23' Safari has a gross weight of 5900# and the 2004 25' Safari would be greater, therefore exceeding the towing capacity of the Toyota.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
please read:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ghlight=toyota

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:51 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Thanks guys. Any ideas on what would be the best vehicle for me. I need something as small as possible that can tow 25" Safari. I want some thing that is short, fairly fuel efficient and green as possible (remeber I have to deal with the SUV smirks in Boston.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:16 AM   #5
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Do not drive in Boston...ever.
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:27 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Do not drive in Boston...ever.
and the award goes to.....
NEXT
Old 09-26-2006, 11:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
I think what he's saying is there is no small or fairly small, fuel efficient or fairly fuel efficient, green or fairly green TV that will tow a fairly new 25 footer that won't be "scoffed at" by bostonians. Solution: don't drive in Boston . . .

Or get a smaller or older airstream

Or use it as a guest house only

Or bite the bullet and get the undesirable SUV

Or rent an appropriate TV when ever you go somewhere (may not be possible)

Or . . . there will be some who will say Toyota's largest vehicle could handle it and then there will be arguements as to whether that's true or not . . .

This is always a good topic. Good Luck in your search.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:39 PM   #8
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi chickin--A Tahoe is the smallest, but a Suburban is the best. New ones will run of E-85 (do the greens in Boston have any pumps yet?), and are much more fuel efficient due to variable displacement (shut down 4-cylinders when only low power required). People who have A/Ss don't worry about what other people think--they set the trend.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:04 PM   #9
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
If you will be living or working in “Boston” proper, I would get a big honkin’ TV for tow duty (always a good bet for more safe/comfortable towing) and use the “T” (Boston public transit system) to commute. The “T” is very efficient and this is how most “Big City” commuters get around (some Bostonians, like some New Yorkers) don’t even own cars. They rent when they feel the need to leave the city. (Probably not practical when talking about TV’s). I know all this (public transportation, no car, etc) may be hard to grasp, but if you are going to Rome…

BTW, I think you will really enjoy New England, the White Mts of NH, the Green Mts of VT, Cape Cod and RI beaches, and the Maine Coast…lots to see here. We never tire of exploring New England; great summers, and great skiing in the winter.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:59 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Thanks a lot Tex! Sounds like good advice. The comment about the Tahoe sounds good too. I will be parking it in West Roxbury which is about 6 miles from Cambridge, where i will be working, so the ideas you guys had sound good. Heck the idea of renting a tow vehicle sounds even better! Thanks for all the good advice guys.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:15 AM   #11
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickin
Thanks a lot Tex! Sounds like good advice. The comment about the Tahoe sounds good too. I will be parking it in West Roxbury which is about 6 miles from Cambridge, where i will be working, so the ideas you guys had sound good. Heck the idea of renting a tow vehicle sounds even better! Thanks for all the good advice guys.
You are welcome, but what we said is it is NOT likely you will be able to rent a TV.
Liability is too great...