Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

New Tow Vehicle

I went all out and replaced my 2008 3/4 ton with a new 1 ton HD Denali dually. I had been using an equalizer hitch but am wondering if that is necessary given the current tow vehicle. Thus far, it seems to tow just fine without the weight distribution bars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0667.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	283.1 KB
ID:	155797  
random 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Were you using a "Equil-i-zer" hitch or some other weight-distibuting hitch? The EQ brand incorporates friction sway control, so at the very least you are losing that.

As far as 'need', I'm sure your 1 ton can handle 800lbs on the hitch, but the point of weight-distribution isn't just about tongue weight... it's about balancing the load to get the best and safest handling. In your case... you've like got a wide margin of capacity that it isn't going to be that big a deal. Maybe it's time up upgrade to a Hensley or Propride where the main feature is sway-control? 27 feet of trailer can make for a handful if it goes bad...
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
With the dually you will not need sway control. Those 4 rear tires will keep you straight and steady. Probably should still use weight distributing hitch though to take some of the truck's stiff suspension off the trailer. Maybe set the bars on the 1st or 2nd link.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Were you using a "Equil-i-zer" hitch or some other weight-distibuting hitch? The EQ brand incorporates friction sway control, so at the very least you are losing that.

As far as 'need', I'm sure your 1 ton can handle 800lbs on the hitch, but the point of weight-distribution isn't just about tongue weight... it's about balancing the load to get the best and safest handling. In your case... you've like got a wide margin of capacity that it isn't going to be that big a deal. Maybe it's time up upgrade to a Hensley or Propride where the main feature is sway-control? 27 feet of trailer can make for a handful if it goes bad...
Thanks.
Of the two options, which is easier to live with day to day? By this I mean the process of attaching, weight, turning radius, etc. I didn't like the weight of the Equil-i-zer or the 'creaking' friction sounds.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsale View Post
With the dually you will not need sway control. Those 4 rear tires will keep you straight and steady. Probably should still use weight distributing hitch though to take some of the truck's stiff suspension off the trailer. Maybe set the bars on the 1st or 2nd link.
I was wondering about this. It is definitely more stable than my previous truck, but I haven't been in a tough real world situation yet--i.e. towing at high speed next to a semi.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that weight distribution bars made the ride more harsh for the trailer vs less harsh?
Old 04-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I had a 96 1 ton Ford dually and it was stiff to say the least even with the 800lb tongue weight. I found that weight distribution put more weight on the trailer axles and the front axle of the truck and helped slightly. Without weight distribution, all the road shock and bumpiness transfers direct to the the tongue. You certainly could go without a WD hitch. As for a real windy situation, again my experience was that I never needed it and drove through 45mph cross winds. Passing semis gave no buffeting.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougsale View Post
I had a 96 1 ton Ford dually and it was stiff to say the least even with the 800lb tongue weight. I found that weight distribution put more weight on the trailer axles and the front axle of the truck and helped slightly. Without weight distribution, all the road shock and bumpiness transfers direct to the the tongue. You certainly could go without a WD hitch. As for a real windy situation, again my experience was that I never needed it and drove through 45mph cross winds. Passing semis gave no buffeting.
Thanks. Good to know.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
What does the Owners Manual read? GM has required WDH for TW of 400# or above. A fundamental misunderstanding of WDH is that it runs off of static weight readings, yet it is the dynamic forces going down the road that change that lever arm reading from a few hundred pounds to thousands.

Go out and buy a decent hitch, PRO PRIDE or PULLRITE, and get it dialled in correctly.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
You may need WD because your hitch rating may reqire it, also a lttle sway control never hurts. I use a little tension on the wd bars so the sway control can work. I have blue ox hitch. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:50 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question Why?...why not?

"With the dually you will not need sway control. Those 4 rear tires will keep you straight and steady."

IMHO....every rig can benefit from WD with sway control. Sure you may not notice much sway in the "dually", but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not happening to the AS. Plus returning steering axle weight has NO disadvantages.
Doesn't have to be a big buck up-grade, why not take every advantage available for safe towing.

Bob
Old 04-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
"With the dually you will not need sway control. Those 4 rear tires will keep you straight and steady."

IMHO....every rig can benefit from WD with sway control. Sure you may not notice much sway in the "dually", but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not happening to the AS. Plus returning steering axle weight has NO disadvantages.
Doesn't have to be a big buck up-grade, why not take every advantage available for safe towing.

Bob
I agree with Bob. I've got virtually the same rig but with a Reese sway control system, using 600# bars. The thing the bars do is to "cushion" the action between the truck and the trailer while making the load on the receiver more of a straight down load versus a twist-down load. As for transferring significant weight to the front axle, it's almost impossible to do with a 8,400 lb long bed crew cab dually! As for sway, no, I've never experienced it - even after several years of towing without any sway control --- but I may have been lucky and now I'm happy to have it.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Springfield , Virginia
I have an F-350 Dually. I have a reese strait line hitch with 800lb bars and an AirSafe hitch. I also have a 27' FB and I will caution you that the 1 ton trucks are tough on the Airstream. I experienced popped rivets out of the front locker and cracked aluminum skin beneath the front locker. After some research on the forum I purchased the AirSafe hitch. It has thusfar worked for me in softening the harsh transfer of energy from the TV to the trailer.
lylesgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Whoa! Nice truck! Good job!
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
What does the Owners Manual read? GM has required WDH for TW of 400# or above. A fundamental misunderstanding of WDH is that it runs off of static weight readings, yet it is the dynamic forces going down the road that change that lever arm reading from a few hundred pounds to thousands.

Go out and buy a decent hitch, PRO PRIDE or PULLRITE, and get it dialled in correctly.

OK, I just went through the manual. The maximum rated tongue weight is 2,000 lbs, with either a Weight Carrying OR Weight Distributing hitch. There is no specific mandate for a weight distributing hitch but is does say to 'consider sway controls with any trailer.'
Old 04-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylesgl View Post
I have an F-350 Dually. I have a reese strait line hitch with 800lb bars and an AirSafe hitch. I also have a 27' FB and I will caution you that the 1 ton trucks are tough on the Airstream. I experienced popped rivets out of the front locker and cracked aluminum skin beneath the front locker. After some research on the forum I purchased the AirSafe hitch. It has thusfar worked for me in softening the harsh transfer of energy from the TV to the trailer.
From what I have read on this forum, the AirSafe looks like a good option. On the AirSafe website, they claim this hitch 'practically eliminates all sway.' Wouldn't that mean that I won't need anything else?
Old 04-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Whoa! Nice truck! Good job!
Thanks! As compared to the 2008 3/4 ton, this truck has MUCH more refined steering and handling, even though it is a 1 ton. The turning radius is improved. They re-worked the frame and suspension in 2011.

Ride is a bit firmer unloaded, but that would be expected. I wanted the long bed because with my family, we load quite a bit when camping. So far, the dually aspect has not been a negative---still able to get through the critical drive through
Old 04-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azvantage View Post
OK, I just went through the manual. The maximum rated tongue weight is 2,000 lbs, with either a Weight Carrying OR Weight Distributing hitch. There is no specific mandate for a weight distributing hitch but is does say to 'consider sway controls with any trailer.'
Do what you will. The virility argument sure doesn't mean much but sure is loved by some truck owners.

Having seen 1800-lb portable compressors take duallies right off the highway once they started moving (and plenty of other examples) I've not ever been impressed by using less than best available equipment. It's cheap to do so. The hitches I recommended make life easy and keep that TT where it is supposed to be. Thus the truck.

What one should understand is that the new J2807 SAE Towing "Standard" is deceptive in a number of instances. Most importantly, here, it does not take into account the dynamics of a TT. Power and weight seem to be all that a TV needs, and it just isn't so.

Tail wags the dog.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Yes - you will still want to use a device such as a Pro Pride or Hensley, my preference would be a Pro Pride...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Bob
Best advice so far. Even the load across the axles and counter that sway; it'll occur if you don't do something to counter it, regardless of the TV.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the information to all. Looks like a hitch upgrade is in order.

Definitely want to avoid this: