Old 04-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylesgl View Post
I have an F-350 Dually. I have a reese strait line hitch with 800lb bars and an AirSafe hitch. I also have a 27' FB and I will caution you that the 1 ton trucks are tough on the Airstream. I experienced popped rivets out of the front locker and cracked aluminum skin beneath the front locker. After some research on the forum I purchased the AirSafe hitch. It has thusfar worked for me in softening the harsh transfer of energy from the TV to the trailer.
From what I have read on this forum, the AirSafe looks like a good option. On the AirSafe website, they claim this hitch 'practically eliminates all sway.' Wouldn't that mean that I won't need anything else?

Old 04-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Whoa! Nice truck! Good job!
Thanks! As compared to the 2008 3/4 ton, this truck has MUCH more refined steering and handling, even though it is a 1 ton. The turning radius is improved. They re-worked the frame and suspension in 2011.

Ride is a bit firmer unloaded, but that would be expected. I wanted the long bed because with my family, we load quite a bit when camping. So far, the dually aspect has not been a negative---still able to get through the critical drive through

Old 04-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by azvantage View Post
OK, I just went through the manual. The maximum rated tongue weight is 2,000 lbs, with either a Weight Carrying OR Weight Distributing hitch. There is no specific mandate for a weight distributing hitch but is does say to 'consider sway controls with any trailer.'
Do what you will. The virility argument sure doesn't mean much but sure is loved by some truck owners.

Having seen 1800-lb portable compressors take duallies right off the highway once they started moving (and plenty of other examples) I've not ever been impressed by using less than best available equipment. It's cheap to do so. The hitches I recommended make life easy and keep that TT where it is supposed to be. Thus the truck.

What one should understand is that the new J2807 SAE Towing "Standard" is deceptive in a number of instances. Most importantly, here, it does not take into account the dynamics of a TT. Power and weight seem to be all that a TV needs, and it just isn't so.

Tail wags the dog.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Yes - you will still want to use a device such as a Pro Pride or Hensley, my preference would be a Pro Pride...
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
"With the dually you will not need sway control. Those 4 rear tires will keep you straight and steady."

IMHO....every rig can benefit from WD with sway control. Sure you may not notice much sway in the "dually", but that doesn't necessarily mean it's not happening to the AS. Plus returning steering axle weight has NO disadvantages.
Doesn't have to be a big buck up-grade, why not take every advantage available for safe towing.

Bob
Best advice so far. Even the load across the axles and counter that sway; it'll occur if you don't do something to counter it, regardless of the TV.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for the information to all. Looks like a hitch upgrade is in order.

Definitely want to avoid this:
LiveLeak.com - Car losing control on the road (Poland)
Old 04-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
2Airishuman had a Pro Pride on his 2011 F350 with his '34 tridem. And the biggest thread on that hitch. Have a look.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Springfield , Virginia
The class 6 AirSafe hitch (which I purchased) allows for the installation of a WD device. I too question the need for sway control given the info presented on the website, but I decide to use the Reese Straight Line WD system anyway. It was an easy decision given I already owned the Reese system.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:36 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by azvantage View Post
Thanks for the information to all. Looks like a hitch upgrade is in order.

Definitely want to avoid this:
LiveLeak.com - Car losing control on the road (Poland)
Hit pause at 08/09. You can see that the majority of the car's weight is sitting towards the back of the trailer. Not good.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:21 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Just an update regarding the tow vehicle.

I have not yet made a new hitch purchase and towed roughly 400 miles on a standard weight carrying hitch at speed over roughly 12,000 feet of elevation change total.

Observations:

1) On this particular truck, with my trailer, I have not noticed the 'harsh ride' issue. Every cushion remained in place as did pretty much everything in the trailer. This is more than can be said about my last setup (3/4 ton with Equalizer hitch)---I would routinely find cushions on the floor, etc. after extended trips with that setup.

2) Sway is a non-issue roughly 99% of the time. This includes high winds, passing trucks, etc. I was specifically watching the rear of the trailer during these times.

I still plan on obtaining one of the 'higher end' anti sway hitches in the near future---just for the added protection for the 1% (presumably during emergency maneuvers, strong wind gusts, etc.). I did notice a tiny bit of sway in my mirror in extreme situations (i.e. passing a large truck while descending a 6% grade around a curve). However, I do see how some people would tow with just a weight carrying hitch and have no issues. The truck is extremely stable.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Whoop-te-doo for bigger trucks . . I can tow my even larger, heavier trailer without any WD or antisway at all. Tracks fine, etc, etc, etc.

And I can inadvertantly flick the tail into an adjoining lane at any moment. Almost without noticing it has happened.

We can understand this all a different way that is just as accurate:

Any pickup is bad enough. But a straight-axle 4WD plus worm & ball steering gear make for the dullest possible feedback on any TV available. Other permutations are only somewhat better. A VPP hitch might keep the worst-handling, worst-braking, least stable of all possible tow vehicles -- that full-size pickup truck -- from a loss of steering control accident.

Weight & wheelbase matter until they don't. At which point they are an enormous liability.

The trailer is capable of more than the TV. The trailer isn't the problem when it can get through the slalom faster than the TV.

The faincy hitch is for the truck.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I'll go out on a limb and say that IMHO any action severe enough to cause sway and subsequent loss of control with a dually using a Reese dual cam hitch would very likely cause the same loss of control with any other hitch assembly - and this, by no means, is meant to be critical of those other assemblies. On vehicles with less mass and stability a superior hitch assembly could definitely prove beneficial. Incidentally, the GM duallies have independent front suspension. The solid front axles went out a long time ago.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #27
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Cracker,

"any other" but the haha or PPP, as they eliminate the onset of trailer sway on a properly set-up rig.
Remember the TV don't start swaying 'til it's too late.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Cracker,

"any other" but the haha or PPP, as they eliminate the onset of trailer sway on a properly set-up rig.
Remember the TV don't start swaying 'til it's too late.

Bob
Understood - but I believe the only way to completely eliminate sway would be to rigidly connect the TV and the Trailer - thereby making turns impossible! I believe that if an incident occurs that is of sufficient magnitude to cause a dually/Reese Dual Cam setup to lose control, the additional magnitude that would cause a haha or PPP equipped dually to lose control is purely academic. This is strictly with reference to a vehicle like a long bed, crew cab dually which, as an aside, generally weighs almost the same as a 30' Classic Airstream (+/- 8,300 lbs.) I don't believe that you can compare duallies to Suburbans or other lighter vehicles - even 3/4 ton pickups. That said, if I came across a reasonably priced used haha or PPP I would seriously consider a purchase as I definitely appreciate the mechanics/physics involved in their design.

My ultimate setup would be a 5th-wheel Airstream of no greater height than a current Classic, utilizing the 5th-wheel piece to house a propane generator, propane tanks, and batteries. No 2-story hotel on wheels!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote