Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2005, 05:40 AM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
New Tow Vehicle

Well...I got another new tow vehicle yesterday.It is the same kind (VW Touareg)but this time I got one that is fully loaded.I had to many problems with the other one.
The first one was a V6 w/o Air suspension.The new new one has it all and I can truly say that the Bambi is happier with a V8 pulling it.
I will post some pics whenever possible but will be soon.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 06:26 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The V8 is really the way to go. Having towed a 19' Bambi, I can say first hand that even a small block V8 just has more meat to it and is and all around better idea for hauling a near 5,000lb coach....and if you're gonna do it, why not do it in style...the T is a real luxo ride.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:49 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Fuel mileage

You will probably get close to the same fuel mileage you get now, as you are not adding that much weight to the T-reg with the V8. There is another forum member that has a T-reg for a tow vehicle, I am not sure, but I think he has the V8 in his also. I have PM'ed with him a few times, he seems very well satisfied with it.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:36 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
There is another forum member that has a T-reg for a tow vehicle, I am not sure, but I think he has the V8 in his also. I have PM'ed with him a few times, he seems very well satisfied with it.
Not sure if yer referring to xray, but he's also happy as a clam with his T-Rex towing his 22' CCD.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Yep, it's Xray. He's currently having exhaust in the cabin problems that are prevent him from driving it. I do know that he is happy with the V8 and the 22'.

The rest of us, including platbr, are stuck in V6's. The V6 does a very good job of towing the Bambi. However, it does lack in power and speed at high altitudes.

Devo, when do we get some pictures?
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 12:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
V-10 Toureg

Having driven a few 'Regs, the 8 gives you about 80 more Ft/lbs of torque (302) than the 6.
While the V-10s are rare the torque is 550 at 2000 rpms. Anyone heard of someone towing with one. Solo they are a real kick in the pants coming off from a stop.
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 07:56 PM   #7
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Vehicle

Since I have gotten it,I have been tearing the other stuff I bought for the previous Touareg and putting them on the new one.The things I got for the other one is only about 2 years old and still looks good(garage kept them nice and clean.)I should be finished here tomorrow and will take some pics for everyone to see.I think I got a pretty cool color outside and inside the vehicle.Only draw back is that the interior is going to get very dirty looking because it is of a tan color.
Gas wise for now it only has 40 mile on the vehicle so I will see in the future as to how much of a difference their is in MPG once it is broken in.It is not really that bad though.Still seems to use just as much gas as the V6.That is a good thing.
One thing though is that when I pulled my Bambi with the V6 it pulled it like a champ.Yes it is slugish at the very start but once you get up to speed a bit it runs smooth as butter.Sometimes I would have to look every now and then just to make sure it was behind me.
Then again I live in florida and everything is flat so no huge hills or mountains to climb.I can understand that climbing the mountains are a bit different than what I am used to.

Old 10-12-2005, 08:57 PM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
However, it does lack in power and speed at high altitudes.
So does my Suburban, btw. And many other tow vehicles I have heard about.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
One (of several) deciding factors in purchasing my Chevy k2500 Duramax was the turbocharger. Nice to have when you are towing at 9,000 ft.

Mark
Old 10-13-2005, 07:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Uwe, when you start at 8100 ft, you are doubly screwed! I tow the bambi loaded with gear at 25 mph at about 11,110 ft on the west Eisenhower tunnel approach on I-70. I don't need to fly, by 25 mph is too slow, at least for my tastes.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:45 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Does the V8 T-Reg have a Supercharger or Turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
Uwe, when you start at 8100 ft, you are doubly screwed! I tow the bambi loaded with gear at 25 mph at about 11,110 ft on the west Eisenhower tunnel approach on I-70. I don't need to fly, by 25 mph is too slow, at least for my tastes.
Is the T-Reg available now with a turbo or supercharger? That would also make a big difference at high altitudes.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:05 AM   #12
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
What about their Diesel version? Wasn't there a V10 Turbo Diesel on the drawing boards?
Old 10-13-2005, 11:29 AM   #13
Rivet Master

There are turbo and super kits that are starting to show up on the market. However, a V6 is still a V6, and any additional gains you attempt to pull out of it will show up as losses in other areas, namely fuel economy, heat buildup and overall wear and tear. I hear that the V8 has few problems towing, even at altitude. I can appreciate how much a turbo can help you at altitude. My wife's 2.0L TDI turbo-diesel Jetta has a small turbo on it, and it runs just as well at 12,000 ft as it does at 5,000.

Yes, VW did make a 4.9L V10 TDI twin turbo diesel Touareg, and it is a pulling beast with 310HP and 553 Ft. Lb of torque. However, since it is not a truck, it has gotten caught up in EPA emission politics, and is currently not imported. Most of the problem lies with the high sulfur content diesel we have here in the states. The V10 was developed specifically from european low sulfur diesel. However, I have been in the presence of a few of these beasts and the idle quietly and barely smoke on full throttle.

I did have the opportunity to briefly drive a german spec factory prototype 3.0L V6 TDI single turbo diesel, with 225HP and 369 ft. lb. of torque. That's 67 ft lb more torque than the gas V8! It had the V6 fuel econ (measured over the period of a week at an average of about 26) with the power of a V8. Again, this engine was made to run on low sulfur diesel, but even with VW prototype engine management software, it didn't smoke, and was as quiet as a gas engine at almost every RPM.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:47 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Devoman,

Many congratulations on the V8. No doubt you will enjoy it very much. Did you get it with the hitch or are you moving the hitch from your V6 over? Hopefully not too much work moving from 6 to 8. In any event, I'm sure the air suspension will be great for towing the Bambi.

Keep us informed! Aircooled & I will carry on the V6 contingent (at least until the diesel V6 comes out).
Old 10-18-2005, 11:36 AM   #15
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Touareg

I got the Touareg with a hitch.I am currently getting it taken off so I can sell it to whoever would want it.
I plan to sell it cheap or probably take it to them if my trip is in that area.
I now have drivin it around 400 miles so far and will start pulling it once I hit past 600 miles.The manual says I can do this so I can not wait to feel the change from the 6 to the 8.I will update when I can.Hopefully soon when I am pulling this trailer.