Old 06-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #15
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I believe we have frightened away the OP.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:15 PM   #16
Short Gal with a Big F250

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Dallas , Texas
Newbie Towing Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBeast View Post
As an alternative you could tow with an suv such as a tahoe or suburban, but if you go for a tahoe you will be in a half ton. Now you can get around this with a set of air bags to help out carrying the weight.
Hey there MrBeast - can you tell me what you mean about "set of air bags"? Are you talking side air bags - or am I being a girl

Can you answer me a tow question, too? I am looking at a 2005 28' International CCD with a GVWR of 7300. Find out if I get it next Tuesday

For a tow vehicle, I am seriously considering a 2010 Ford Expedition EL 4x2 with a 5.4L V8, 3.73 axle ratio, factory trailer sway control, factory heavy duty trailer package, and factory load leveling suspension, wheelbase of 131". Horespower 310 @ 5100 rpm. Torque 265 @ 3600 rpm. 33.5 gallon tank. It seems to me that this falls somewhere between the ratings of a Suburban 1500 and 2500, and I need an SUV for daily driving.

Gonna buy an Equalizer for my weight distributing hitch. The specs say the Expedition EL will tow 8900 pounds and has a GVWR of 7474. The GCWR is rated 15,000. Tongue load of 890.

Would you buy this Tow Vehicle for the 28' Airstream International CCD? If so, why? If not, why?

Thanks for any thoughts you can give me!
Pinky

Old 07-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #17
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky65 View Post
Hey there MrBeast - can you tell me what you mean about "set of air bags"? Are you talking side air bags - or am I being a girl

Can you answer me a tow question, too? I am looking at a 2005 28' International CCD with a GVWR of 7300. Find out if I get it next Tuesday

For a tow vehicle, I am seriously considering a 2010 Ford Expedition EL 4x2 with a 5.4L V8, 3.73 axle ratio, factory trailer sway control, factory heavy duty trailer package, and factory load leveling suspension, wheelbase of 131". Horespower 310 @ 5100 rpm. Torque 265 @ 3600 rpm. 33.5 gallon tank. It seems to me that this falls somewhere between the ratings of a Suburban 1500 and 2500, and I need an SUV for daily driving.

Gonna buy an Equalizer for my weight distributing hitch. The specs say the Expedition EL will tow 8900 pounds and has a GVWR of 7474. The GCWR is rated 15,000. Tongue load of 890.

Would you buy this Tow Vehicle for the 28' Airstream International CCD? If so, why? If not, why?

Pinky
Pinky, by air bags I mean load helper airbags, they are a bellows style air bag like a big rig has only smaller that installs over your leaf springs in the rear and you can add air to them to help level out your vehicle to carry the weight.

The expedition if it has a factory load leveling system already has them, but a word of warning, is that if you ever break down, and they load your car on a flat bed to tow it, when they strap it down it can activate the load leveling system, and cause it to overpressure the system and mess it up really bad. The term FUBAR comes to mind.

Other than being a Ford, the Expedition should tow the trailer just fine, allthough if you are going to go the Ford route, id see if you can find an excursion with the 7.3 powerstroke, even if you find one with 100,000 miles, that engine still has 2/3 its life left if it has been well maintained. Do not under any circumstances buy a Ford with the 6.0 diesel, they have a bad habbit of blowing up and the repair can cost upwards of 10K its because they have to lift the body off the frame to change the engine.

Speaking from personal experince, we had a 04 expedition at my old job, and it was junk, I hated driving it, it had good power, but it had 75,000 miles on it, the suspension was getting weak and it was prone to leaving you stranded.

IMHO if you want the best rig you can get for the money id say see if you can find a 96-99 suburban that is real clean expecially if you can find one with the 7400 Vortec, its a great motor, and you can find those trucks with about 100K on them for less than 5 grand. They are a little hard to find with the 7.4 though because the folks who have em love them and dont want to part with them.

They arent going to depriciate much more, and 5 grand will get you a brand spankin new engine for them that are easy to find and plentiful, and a new and I mean new tranny with all the good components can be put togeather by most reasonable shops for under 2 grand including stuffing it back in the truck for you.

As far as I know the Expedition only comes in a half ton, if you are going to do a lot of towing, you will be hating life. If you are only going to be making a towing trip once in a while you will be fine.

The equaliszer setup is a good idea allthough I have done a ton of towing with out one and still been fine. It really depends from vehicle to vehicle if you are going to need one. For instance I might be able to hook your trailer up behind my dually and tear off down the road at 90mph and not have an issue, and you might get the expedition and find it throws you all over the road.

If you have any other questions feel free to shoot them at me
Old 07-16-2010, 10:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky65 View Post

Pinky
Hi, Pinky. I will compare your Expedition to my Navigator; And my trailer is rated at 1,000 lbs less. [6,300 lbs]

Horse power: Lincoln= 300 5.4L V-8............Expedition= 310 5.4L V-8

Torque.......: Lincoln=355@ 2,750 RPM........Expedition=365 @ 3,600RPM

Transmission: Lincoln= 4 Speed..................Expedition=6 Speed

Wheel base..: Lincoln=119"........................Expedition EL=131"

Fuel tank.....:Lincoln=30 gallons..................Expedition=33.5 gallons

Rear Gears...:Lincoln 3:73..........................Expedition: 3:73

You have a longer wheel base, that's good. You have a few more ponies, under the hood. You have slightly more torque, but at a higher RPM. You have two more gears, which might help quite a bit. Your tow rateing is exactly the same as mine. For me personally, a 28'er would be too much for my Lincoln. Will the longer wheel base, 6 speed trans, 10+ horse power, and 10+ torque make enough difference, I'm not sure.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:02 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
AS inspection

Hi, we see that you are registered as an AS volunteer inspector, are you still willing to do that? My wife and I found an AS in St. Cloud, Minn. and are trying to find someone willing to check it out prior to us making the trip from upstate NY to look at it ourselves. Our main concern is the usual corrosion, leakage, body decay, etc. issues that can be found in older rigs. If your not interested, maybe you could direct us to someone that could help... Thank you in advance,

James and Rebecca
Old 08-21-2015, 03:41 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Answering the OP's original post: if you want a diesel, then you're into a 3/4 ton for sure. If you look at the numbers, especially payload, for the Ram eco diesel, they just don't add up for anything but a stripped "work truck" regular cab.
That said, understand that with a 3/4 ton, your engine is pulling between 1000 and 1500 additional pounds of vehicle weight as compared to a half ton. You can get a half ton with close to 2000 lbs cargo capacity. (I own one -- a 2015 GMC 1500 crew cab with max trailer tow package.) So check your payload sticker on the driver's side door frame before you assume you'll get gobs more cargo with a 3/4 ton. Add a heavy Diesel engine, and the difference may be even less. I pull an FC 27, same weight as yours. My 420 hp 6.2 liter gas engine has pulled it up 6-7 percent grades in W.Va., rarely exceeding 3000 rpm. On our last 400 mile round trip, through the highest part of the state, we averaged 12.5 mpg, doing 60 or the speed limit, whichever was lower. With our ProPride hitch, there was no sway and we didn't get blown around by the semis passing us at 75 on the downhill. The Ford 3.5 Ecoboost is an equally capable engine and has been in service long enough to have a track record of reliability.
So, I would urge the OP to consider a properly equipped Ford, Chevy or GMC half ton. You will have to look hard and wide to find a truck with the right equipment - or special order from the factory - but for the 2014 model year and up there are 1/2 ton crew cabs that are not stripped that have rated payloads of 1900 lbs and engines with the capability to move that weight. Before 2014, the most cargo capacity available in a 1/2 ton crew cab that was nicely trimmed out was Ford's F-150 Lariat crew with the max payload and max trailer tow packages. Those had a payload of over 1700 lbs. with either the 5 liter V-8 or the 3.5 liter V-6 Ecoboost. For just two people and a 27-foot Airstream, that would be pretty good also.
The real difference between a half ton and a 3/4 ton, is that you can just walk on the lot and find a 3/4 ton that will do the job (except I found trailer towing mirrors to be uncommon, even in that size). You will have to work much harder to find a 1/2 ton that meets your needs--but they are out there. I found mine on cars.com and flew from DC to Denver to get it.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider06 View Post
Hi, we see that you are registered as an AS volunteer inspector, are you still willing to do that? My wife and I found an AS in St. Cloud, Minn. and are trying to find someone willing to check it out prior to us making the trip from upstate NY to look at it ourselves. Our main concern is the usual corrosion, leakage, body decay, etc. issues that can be found in older rigs. If your not interested, maybe you could direct us to someone that could help... Thank you in advance,

James and Rebecca
St Cloud is close the MN Airstream Park which is in Clear Lake (a little south of St Cloud). Is the trailer you're looking at in the Park? We live just over an hour from there. There are others nearby...

Kay
Old 08-21-2015, 04:50 PM   #22
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
A 3/4 ton or 1/2 ton P/U is over kill as I did meet someone just recently that tows a 27' Airstream with a Saturn Aura 3.6XR. I thought he was kidding, but he wasn't and showed me pictures to prove it. He had Can Am do the hitch set up and it works perfectly.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:47 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
For a thread started in 2010 ...
my guess is the OP has a TV by now.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:00 PM   #24

1974 23' Safari
langley , Washington
Hello can i tow a 1974 23 ft airstream with a toyota tundra 1/2 ton?
Old 08-25-2015, 09:55 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Easily if it's a 2007 - 2016 with 5.7 v-8 and auto trans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0449.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	246389  

2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote