Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2015, 09:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
New old tire

I'm asking a question that I think I already know the answer to but I'm going to ask anyway.

I called my TV dealership last Monday to order a replacement spare tire. It came in and I made arrangements for them to mount and balance this week. Since it's a spare I just dropped it off and picked it up yesterday.

Tonight I was getting ready to put it back on the TV and thought I'd check the date of manufacture; it's January 2010. So the tire, although new, has been in the warehouse somewhere for 5 1/2 years already.

So my question is, should I ask the dealership to replace it? I know tires should be replaced around 6 years, but is that true for one that's been in the warehouse?

I need to leave on vacation on Friday morning and I don't want to drive without a spare. This tire was actually going to replace my real spare which came with the TV 11 years ago. It's in good shape, no cracks, but, it's really old. I think they'll let me keep the new/old tire until I return.

Anyhow, wanting some opinions or validation.

Thanks
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
I'd take it back and tell them you want a current model. If they can't fix you up with a "new" tire, surely there are plenty of other tire shops in your area that can. Why take a chance if you don't have to?
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Yes, return it for a more recent date tire.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:59 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

^
X3

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:19 AM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I'm curious whether it is a full size spare or whether it is a compact. Compacts are manufactured to different spec which may have a different life expectancy. If it is full size, I'm sure your dealer would replace it and chalk it up as an over site on their side.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:25 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
I agree with what others have said. I would not pay full price for a "new" tire that has been setting around for 5 years. The compounds age and start to dry out even if setting in a warehouse (just at a slower rate). I would ask them to replace it with a tire that has a date stamp no older than 2014 (2015 preferred though).
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Agree that you should get a fresh tire when buying a new one.

However, I'm not convinced tires deteriorate much with age alone. This is weakly anecdotal, but the tires on our VW Jetta have some wear but the sidewalls look like new and have been on the car 9 years. It's always garaged, Minnesota climate. The tires on our J.D. lawn tractor have been on there 32 years. Boat trailer, 22 years. Samurai, 10 years.

I wonder if climate matters, kind of like keeping them out of the sun (garaged) and in a refrigerator most of the time.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Well, I took it back just now. You just never know what people are thinking, in this age of computers. Apparently, when you call this dealership they have your phone number in their system, if you've had work done there. I remember the parts guy asked if this was for the Corolla and I said no, the 4Runner, although I hadn't even given him my name yet. He asked me about the tire and I said I wanted one like I already had, same brand. He said he had to order it.

When I went back today I found out he was trying to match the original raised white letter tire from when it was new in 2004. He said 'Oh, you're OK with a blackwall, well, we have those in stock'. I had already bought 2 blackwalls from them before, I guess they didn't show up in his computer.

Soooo, anyway, they are more than happy to swap out the tire for one made this year. Papa's happy and hopefully all goes well on the vacation trip

Thanks, everyone, for the replies and affirmations.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 07-09-2015, 06:38 AM   #9

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Agree that you should get a fresh tire when buying a new

I wonder if climate matters, kind of like keeping them out of the sun (garaged) and in a refrigerator most of the time.
That does help. Not sure about the cold makes a difference. Also the rolling of the tire helps prolong the life of the tire, I had a set of Uniroyals that were OEM on my van. I got 10 years out of them. Van was low mileage 3,800 miles a year and primarily was used to tow, and garaged. I replaced them at year 10 just because of their age.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Agree that you should get a fresh tire when buying a new one.

However, I'm not convinced tires deteriorate much with age alone. This is weakly anecdotal, but the tires on our VW Jetta have some wear but the sidewalls look like new and have been on the car 9 years. It's always garaged, Minnesota climate. The tires on our J.D. lawn tractor have been on there 32 years. Boat trailer, 22 years. Samurai, 10 years.

At the Discount Tire site they say that the end of service is 10 years, regardless. At least that's how I read it. But you make a point. I have 4 cars so the mileage gets spread around. I do keep tires a long time but always check them. The spare is original, 11 years old, but looks brand new. I've put about 5,000 miles on it since I put it on the left front 2 years ago. My 4runner stays outside but is shaded from the sun about half the day. Here's the blurb from Discount Tire:
Tire Life | Average Tire Life | Tire Aging | Life of a Tire | Discount Tire
Consumer Advisory: Factors to Consider in the Life of Your Tires

The following elements each play an important part in your tire's safety. Throughout the life of the tires it is necessary to see how each of these plays a different role. Excludes trailer tires.
Up to 6 Years:

Visual tire inspections and monthly air pressure checks are recommended.
  • Tire Quality/Construction: Features and Benefits help to describe capabilities of tires during this period.
  • Service Conditions/Maintenance: Rotate tires every 6-8,000 miles, check air pressure monthly and check tire balance every 12-16,000 miles. Tire Manufacturers suggest most tires are out of service at 3-4 years based on wear.
  • Tire Wear/Condition: Less than new tread changes traction and stability capabilities in extreme weather conditions (such as: snow, ice, rain, dirt/mud).
  • Environmental Conditions: Exposure to heat and ultraviolet rays may cause structural changes in the tire not found in more moderate climates.
  • Tire DOT Number*: Tire age is not the major consideration during this portion of the tire's life.
6 to 10 Years:

Replacement is recommended.
  • Tire Quality/Construction: Are more valid concerns as some tires are designed to be nearing the end of their service life based on average consumer travel of 12-15,000 miles annually.
  • Service Conditions/Maintenance: Tires that have not been serviced or maintained properly are typically at the end of their service life.
  • Wear/Condition: Less tread reduces traction and stability in all weather conditions as well as propensity to punctures.
  • Environmental Conditions: Exposure to heat and ultraviolet rays causes ozone/weather cracking and structural changes.
  • Tire DOT Number*: Now, one of the important considerations as some vehicle manufacturers recommend replacement and tire manufacturer warranties expire.
More Than 10 Years:

No service on tires with a DOT beyond 10 years.
  • Tire Quality/Construction, Service Conditions/ Maintenance, Tire Wear/Condition, Environmental Conditions: Regardless of all of these conditions, tires reach the end of their life.
  • Tire DOT Number*: Tire age is the most important consideration during this portion of the tire life as tire manufacturers recommend replacement of any tires regardless of service, including spares.
*Department of Transportation Number is stamped on the sidewall of every tire. The last group of digits indicates the week and year the tire was built.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 07-09-2015, 06:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Many closeout sales on tires from discount tire houses are getting rid of "old" stock for the reasons discussed here. Watch out for "too good to be true" specials and check the date of manufacture before you order. You may be overpaying big time even when its 50% off.

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote