Old 06-14-2009, 03:12 PM   #1

Cedar Bluff , Virginia
New guy, old question

I know this has been asked several times but I will ask it again.

I am looking for an Airstream so we can do some traveling in the near future. I own a 2001 Toyota Tundra with V8 engine and electric brake. It is rated to tow 6800#. The only thing that I have towed is when I brought a TR6 and had to trailer it home. I figure the total weight of car and trailer was about 5000#.It pulled pretty good considering the trailer I was using. My question is what size Airstream could I pull comfortably? I have heard that the Airstream trailer is a dream to pull and that is one reason I am looking at them.

I know this is a loaded question but I have never owned an Airstream and would need all the help I can get.

Thanks, Pete

Old 06-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forums.

I used to have a 2003 Tundra which is pretty much the same as the truck you now own. I towed my 75 Trade Wind for a couple of years with it. My trailer is 25' and weighs around 5200 pounds when loaded for camping. The only issue I had with the 03 Tundra was very long steep hills would take a while to climb. On level roads and smaller hills the truck was fine. I think that a larger trailer would have been too much for the Tundra, but that is my experience.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by piddler View Post

I have heard that the Airstream trailer is a dream to pull and that is one reason I am looking at them.

I know this is a loaded question but I have never owned an Airstream and would need all the help I can get.

Thanks, Pete
Pete.

Airstream really tow, to easy.

You must use a good load equalizing hitch that does the job, without punishing the trailer. You must also use a good "sway contro;." Torsion sway controls do a better job than a friction type.

The hitch and bars, must be properly rated, properly installed, and properly adjusted. That will give you the desired towing control.

Andy
Old 06-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by piddler View Post

I am looking for an Airstream so we can do some traveling in the near future. I own a 2001 Toyota Tundra with V8 engine and electric brake. It is rated to tow 6800#. The only thing that I have towed is when I brought a TR6 and had to trailer it home. I figure the total weight of car and trailer was about 5000#.It pulled pretty good considering the trailer I was using. My question is what size Airstream could I pull comfortably? I have heard that the Airstream trailer is a dream to pull and that is one reason I am looking at them.

Thanks, Pete
Hi Pete,
Everybody has different comfort levels. Mine are based on the vehicle I am using for towing. With 1/2t and 3/4t type vehicles I use about 75% of the towing capacity vs the GVW of the trailer I want to tow, the closer the two numbers are the happier I am. When I get into something like my F350 dually or something larger I worry less about it and will tow closer to the limits.

In your case based on my formula I would look for something with a GVW around the 5,000# range. Then add on the necessary safety gear that Andy pointed out. Also have to consider the load in the truck itself, in many cases it will deduct from what the truck is designed to tow. Not sure if that is the case with the Tundra, but it is with the big 3.

FWIW Airstreams to me have always towed easier than any other equivalent sized trailer.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
I wrote an article for Airstream Life (Winter 2007) on this very topic.

There are several things to consider when towing but perhaps the most important consideration is the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of the trailer. The GVWR is basically the maximum weight the trailer is designed to carry (the trailer plus all your "stuff"). So, the GVWR of the trailer should be lower than your rated 6,800 lb limit. This basically limits you to the smaller Airstreams like the 16 or 19 ft Bambi or the new lightweight 17 and 22 ft Sport Models. Both are rated well below your 6,800 lb limit. Here's a link: Airstream, Inc :: Specifications Specifications

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I have an '02 Tundra and have pulled our '97 Excella 25 nearly 60,000 miles with it in the last 5 years. Last year the trip was thru the mountains of Colorado. We did 4 passes in one day with an elevation of 9000 ft. or more. Drive sensibly. Keep unnecessary weight out of the trailer, travel light and you'll be fine.