Old 12-21-2007, 03:35 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVD&D
I would wait several years before buying a truck with a new GM engine.
It is scary thinking too much about all the changes comming in vehicles. I am wondering if we can ever exspect to buy another new vehicle and NOT have a half dozen trips to the shop to repair new car blues. These things have more puter power than the first moon lauch. And they are so hard to work on they are made to come apart to service in some cases. But I am old and want it simple and easy. By gone eara for an old stubborn do-it-yer-selfer. I hate to trust my vehicle to anyone but me. CAUSE I WAS A FLEET MANAGER AND I KNOW THE MECHANIC YOU GET IS A ROLL OF THE DICE.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:41 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
It is interesting to see that GM has sold off it's 4 series and larger production to Navistar. Who'd of ever thought back in the sixties that International would end up making GM product.

As the world evolves I suspect we will see a lot of variation in what we can expect from the manufacturers. It should be an interesting ride.

Barry

Old 12-21-2007, 12:39 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T

We have several customers now towing with the Mercedes 3.0 Litre Diesel in Jeeps and ML and GL's. The 3.0 Litre diesel is an amazing performer.Andy
This engine and vehicle size seems like a great TV for many of us. Perhaps you could give us a more detailed performance evaluation of the 3.0 Mercedes diesel in the near future. tnxs
Old 12-21-2007, 03:37 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
IMHO, Diesel is the fuel of the near future. Ethanol is too inefficient to produce at the current demand. Some estimates say it takes 1.5 units of energy to produce 1 unit of ethanol. Hybrid cars are no better, the manufacturers leave out the battery replacement cost. Bio-diesel is easier to make, and can be made from recycled vegetable oil sources. As to GM, yes the converted gasoline engines were a great mistake, however the diesels of that era are as removed from today’s engine as steam power. By simple design, the diesel engine is almost 15% more thermally efficient than any gasoline engine
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:14 AM   #33
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down Alternative...?

And diesel is $3.85 per and climbing in our area. The more out there

the higher the cost.

Can you say........ Yossarian??

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I haven't noticed diesel lately, or heard the Canadian forecast for pricing, but I did hear this week that there's a real chance gasoline in Western Canada could hit $1.50 liter by next summer (it's $1.10 now). That equates to $5.60 for a US gal. If diesel keeps pace with that it's really going to hurt.

With the better mileage potential for diesel I suspect that it will be the engine of choice for a lot more people.

What's going to need to happen though is the gas stations are going to have to be more effective at keeping their diesel pumps/areas clean. Right now many that I see as I gas up my car are so filthy I wouldn't bring a diesel vehicle there to fill up.

I'm looking forward to all the manufacturers coming out with their alternative engines. It will make going to the showrooms exciting again.

Merry Christmas.
Barry
Old 12-22-2007, 01:21 PM   #35
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Leave It Too The French

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57

I'm looking forward to all the manufacturers coming out with their alternative engines. It will make going to the showrooms exciting again.

Merry Christmas.
Barry
How about an air powered engine/car.

200mi. between "compressions" Not a tv yet...but it is an interesting

concept none the less The MDI Air Car - The World´s Cleanest Car. DiscoveryChannel.ca | Video

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

RLC
Old 12-22-2007, 01:46 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
This is the first e85 vehicle that we have had, any comments from others? I like the lower cost and no funny odors in the garage. I found a web site that lists all e85 locations nationwide, and I am sure the same for bio diesel exists. I guess it is a step in the right direction, and every time I fill up it feels good that most if it is staying here and not funding some resort in the Middle East.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:24 PM   #37
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
E-85 blend

E-85...a real good start, but still a ways to go.

Eventually it will have to be refined from something other than corn,

what would Tony do?

[edit] Comparisons to regular gasoline

The horsepower a given engine has when using E85 is comparable (or slightly higher in some instances) to gasoline. Depending on composition and source, E85 has an octane rating of 100 to 105 [3] compared to regular gasoline's typical rating of 87 for regular and 93 for premium. This allows it to be used in higher compression engines, which can lower emissions.
E85 gets approximately 25% fewer miles per gallon. In order to save money at the pump the price differentiation between gasoline and e85 would need to exceed 25%. Currently E85 is about 5-10% less expensive in most areas.[4] More than 20 fueling stations across the Midwest are selling E85 25%-40% cheaper than gasoline.[5]

RLC

RLC
Old 12-22-2007, 04:12 PM   #38
Site Team

, Minnesota
I lose about 3 mpg using E85 fuel. The break even price difference for me is around 55 cents per gallon.

E85 is often 60 cents less than 87 octane gasoline.

I think mileage would improve if the engine were built to run E85 as the primary fuel, and detuned to run 87 octane as an alternative fuel.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
" Because of this issue I will never buy another GM product. Even if they made the best car or truck ever produced. ITS A PERSONAL PROBELM I know. But thats the way it is."

I was luckier than most when my Olds wagon with a gas/diesel took a dump and the dealer refused to fix it under warranty. I called the Olds PR department and explained that the only way I could afford to pay for the fix was to do a story for one of Chilton's automotive trade books. With in 24 hours, the dealer called and asked where they could pick up the wagon for repair. Sold the car as soon as it was fixed and the next owner loved it as he could get diesel in Tacate MX for 13 cents a gallon!
Old 12-23-2007, 02:18 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
At the moment the conclusion is?? Diesels are comming soon in all kinds of American cars AND it will cost you more to operate them. More to buy them and more to fix them. Then end result is less fuel used but more money spent to meet industry mileage standards. I just read an article in a business publication (Wall street) that touted the new energy standards as the first major breakthough in vehicle standards in 35 years. The bottom line is that in a couple years when the new emmision standards for diesels kick in we can exspect to pay another 1,500 to 3,000 more for our diesel trucks.....thats is going to put the diesel close to a 9 or 10 thousand dollar option. And the article also stated that diesel fuel prices will continue to climb at a faster rate than gasoline. diesel in my part of the world is already 50 to 60 cents more than gas. Diesels are 18% more efficient than gas motors...a..guess what....diesel fuel is approx 18% more exspensive than gas. So....we will pay more for diesel tow vehicles of course and get better fuel mileage but it will then cost us more to drive a diesel than it does a gas motored truck. But......look for diesels to be the ONLY engine in 3/4 or 1 ton and bigger trucks in the not to distant future. The new 4500 and 5500 dodges come with ONLY the cummins and the new chevy med. duty/ Navistar trucks will only be diesel. Sooooo...in a few years we are going to buy the same truck as we can buy today but it will not only cost us the normal inflation but add another 10 grand.....I can see a $70,000 one ton becomming the norm for those who can afford them. I am NOT being a pesamist just reading and seeing whats ahead. What is ahead is its going to cost us a lot more to drive and that added exspense is comming at us a lot faster than a 1973 OPEC embargo. Retirement is four years away for us. I could afford to buy my new truck and Airstream today...but will I be able to in 4 years?????
Old 12-23-2007, 02:24 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
The new 4.5 diesel from GM for the half ton with an appoximate 310hp and 530lbs or torque is strange looking with NO exaust manifold. It is going to take some gettin used to. I do believe we are going to see lagitamate 25 mpg half ton trucks real soon. I HOPE.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:29 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
It is interesting to see that GM has sold off it's 4 series and larger production to Navistar. Who'd of ever thought back in the sixties that International would end up making GM product.

As the world evolves I suspect we will see a lot of variation in what we can expect from the manufacturers. It should be an interesting ride.

Barry
You also might see ALL Dodge Ram trucks being renamed and producted by STERLING in the not too distant future. Sterling already bulds the 4500 and 5500 with the cummins.