Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-11-2004, 06:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
New Gen IV 6.0 Vortec for 2005

Well, after looking at GM-trucks.com (thanks, Twink), I see the next generation of the Vortec 6.0 will be in the '05s. Sounds like an absolutely awesome engine. Another, home run for GM. WOW, look at the hp and torq:

Gen IV Vortec 6000 6.0-liter V-8 Fast Facts

*** * First truck application: 2005 Chevrolet SSR
*** * First small-block V-8 for truck applications to use aluminum cylinder block
*** * 390 hp (291 kW) at 5400 rpm
*** * 405 lb.-ft. (542 Nm) of torque at 4400 rpm
*** * Numerous internal revisions enhance power as well as improve efficiency

The list of improvements is impressive:

Larger 90-mm throttle body: The 6.0-liter displacement requires a higher volume of intake air; the Gen III throttle body is 75 mm. The new throttle body is mounted to a revised-design composite intake manifold with tuned runners to optimize airflow to individual cylinders.

New combustion-chamber design: Understanding of the flow characteristics in the highly tuned LS6 small-block were applied to the new Gen IV combustion chambers. The result is higher power output and increased volumetric efficiency.

Higher compression ratio: Hand-in-hand with Gen IV's new combustion chamber design is the ability to increase compression ratio to 10.9:1 compared to the 10:1 of the High-Output Vortec 6.0-liter Gen III V-8.

High-lift cam profile: Intake breathing is enhanced with a new, higher-lift camshaft. Also fitted are stronger valve springs to enable a higher peak-rpm range.

Flat-top pistons and stronger floating wrist pins: Floating piston wrist pins enhance durability, while engine testing and computer modeling demonstrated flat-top pistons generate the best power.

Compact, lighter water pump: All Gen IV V-8s are fitted with a more compact, more efficient water pump that reduces mass, conserves underhood space and reduces parasitic losses.

Deeper oil pan: The LS2 truck engine is designed with a deeper oil sump than the LS2 passenger-car engine. The new oil pan also incorporates a pass-through for a front driveshaft when used in four-wheel-drive applications.

Reduced-tension piston rings: Piston rings are a new, lower-tension design to reduce friction.

Redesigned crankcase vent: The crankcase vent is repositioned to the top of the block valley, where oil is less likely to enter during high engine speeds or high-g maneuvers.

New accessory-drive package: A new power steering pump and revised serpentine drive belt result in better space utilization.

Along with the increased power and torque when compared to the Gen III High Output Vortec 6.0-liter V-8, the new Gen IV Vortec 6000 6.0-liter continues GM Powertrain's ongoing commitment to reducing maintenance intervals and servicing costs.

Dexcool coolant and the platinum-tipped spark plugs have 100,000-mile change intervals. An Oil Life System function, built directly into the engine control module, calculates ideal oil-change intervals based on a variety of performance parameters.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:06 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
amazing they got another 90 horses out of the 6.0 over the initial 300!

john
Old 10-11-2004, 09:49 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Keep in mind that GM got over 400 horses out of the 6.0L for the Z06 Corvette which also was an LS6. If you got the $$ GMs got the beer!

Zoom zoom.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Two questions:

1. Will the 4L65-E transmission be up to the task?

2. What grade of gas will it need at 10.9 compression?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 04:48 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
How's it going to do with $75 a barrel oil?
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 06:49 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Two questions:

1. Will the 4L65-E transmission be up to the task?

2. What grade of gas will it need at 10.9 compression?

1) At 400hp, not without some mods if it is to last more than 1000 miles. It's my understanding that the 4L65E has most of the same internals of the 4L60E. I would think that at the hp they are talking about, if they (GM) were to keep the 6 series trans in the SSR (the first to get this newly modified engine) that the transmissions too might also be tweaked a bit with better bands, outputshafts and other internals.

If I were going to get this new SSR however and automatic would be the last thing I'd get. I would opt for the manual that will be offered.

2) It depends on the tune. The compression, though can make a difference, mostly I think it depends on the tune. I have a 10:1 compression and before the tune, could run 87 octane. Now with a more agressive tune where the timing is advanced a bit, I have to run 93. Anything less and ping, ping, ping.

At $75 a barrel, I think the least of our worries will be our 6.0L engines. I think we will all, regardless of engine, be in a very, very bad place that would make current prices seem like the 1950's. Everything, and I mean everything will be a mess. Trucking of goods, airfare, bus, train, natural gas and on and on. If my math is correct, this would place gas at a bit over $3/gallon. At that price, I'd have to seriously think about not towing since a fillup would go from the current $70 for the Suburban to $111 to fill. Basically meaning that a thousand mile trip (w/ the Safari) could cost us about $500.00. I am sure others too would rethink their RV plans or vacations in general.....this could have an impact across the board on the ecomomy. I would think that if $75 could sustain itself for a camping season, the effects would be widespread. I don't think I'd be the only one staying much closer to home.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 07:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
1) At 400hp, not without some mods if it is to last more than 1000 miles. It's my understanding that the 4L65E has most of the same internals of the 4L60E. I would think that at the hp they are talking about, if they (GM) were to keep the 6 series trans in the SSR (the first to get this newly modified engine) that the transmissions too might also be tweaked a bit with better bands, outputshafts and other internals.
The L65 does have better bands/clutch pack, shafts and internals than the L60. But it still wasn't rated for 405# torque. Sounds like GM might be going out on a limb with this. Let the consumer do their real world testing. In a year or two the truth will be known.

I guess I feel the same about the aluminum block. Recalling the problems GM had with aluminum heads on the 'Vega' in the early 70's, I'd be tempted to wait until they work all the bugs out.

You're 'right on' with the gas price issues. We won't be truly free until we have a robust and reliable alternative to middle east oil.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 08:46 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Two things come to mind---The Horse Power--Torque numbers are at 5400 & 4400 rpms. I'm more interested in what the engine does at 2500-3500, the real world of rpms. If it's ness. to run at those rpm you can forget fuel mileage and engine life. 2ndly having worked as a GM tech. I'm always concerned when they make major changes. Like someone said so often they put them on the market for the consumer to do the real testing then when a problem shows up-< piston slap etc> they call it normal. Personally I think I would wait and see.----Pieman
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote