Old 02-25-2009, 10:02 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
New F-150 - How much off MSRP?

I'm closing in on my plans, which include buying a new 2009 F-150. I know the company may go bankrupt, I know used trucks are available for much less, etc. Still, that's what I'm planning to do. I just had the high-pressure pitch about "if I find this will you come buy it today".

It's easy to find MSRP for any configuration of models and options. It seems easy to find "dealer invoice" as well - I know that's a misnomer and they have kick-backs, but it's a number that's not subjective. I know there are rebates, another number. Several numbers, what do I pay?

Last night I configured one via the Sam's Club web site (I know they just send me to a dealer, but I can get some numbers that way). My referred dealer apparently sells "dealer invoice less rebate". Is that the best I can hope for?

I'm just making these numbers up, but say MSRP is $40,000, dealer invoice $37,000, rebate $3000.

Suppose my Sam's Club dealer (or any other) says "that'll be $34,000 plus tax/tag/title". Is that good a deal? Should I hold out for lower?

-CB-

Old 02-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Considering your location all I can say is at least talk to Akin's Ford in Wander Ga.

I had problems, late one afternoon, while heading south and they did a major repaired on my truck, let us stay on sight in our trailer overnight, gave me a loaner car and had me on the road by noon the next day

All in all they replaced the inner ring on the turbo under warranty, turbos replacement is normally about a $3000.00 event, even though I am a second owner and have made several modes to the truck that any other dealer would have claimed I voided the warranty.

Coming from the northeast I am not used to quality service and would never recommend a dealer for any type of repair but I was in trouble and on the road.

If their service was not enough reason for my comments the fact that all this was done a NO COST to me, not even the normal $100.00 warranty few, you might understand my reasoning for suggesting you at least talk to them.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Locust Grove , Virginia
Lower. In round numbers, you're number was roughly 17% off of MSRP. FOMOCO, along with the other manufacuterers have loaded the dealer lots with inventory and even though you are seeing the invoice price , the dealer still has the hold-back from the manufacturer which is where they make their money.
You talked about a 2009 and they have a number of really nice features that earlier years didn't have but you might seriously look at a new 2008 for even bigger discounts.
2010 TREK 2.3

Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Oddly, it's not about cost, rather getting the best deal I can. I want a top-of-the-line tricked out truck - kind of a late midlife crisis thing with a 'cause I can twist to it.

To get a 3.73 axle ratio I may have to order it, another thread here has me going that way. I also want the telescoping mirrors (only on 3.73 ratio trucks for some reason). Brake controller. I think I want the 6' 6" bed in case I ever switch to a fifth wheel. All of these things tend to not be on the lot. I may also be picky about color, though I'm loosening up a bit on that (yet another thread).

So if I order one to be built, I might be able to get lower than dealer invoice minus rebate?

-CB-
Old 02-25-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbgenrich View Post
Oddly, it's not about cost, rather getting the best deal I can. I want a top-of-the-line tricked out truck - kind of a late midlife crisis thing with a 'cause I can twist to it.

To get a 3.73 axle ratio I may have to order it, another thread here has me going that way. I also want the telescoping mirrors (only on 3.73 ratio trucks for some reason). Brake controller. I think I want the 6' 6" bed in case I ever switch to a fifth wheel. All of these things tend to not be on the lot. I may also be picky about color, though I'm loosening up a bit on that (yet another thread).

So if I order one to be built, I might be able to get lower than dealer invoice minus rebate?

-CB-
That's all good....however, forget about pulling a 5er with a 1/2 ton.

Bill
Old 02-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
If you ever may switch to a fifth wheel, you want an 8-foot bed, with the pivot over the rear axle just over four feet from the front of the bed (half of the 8-foot width of the trailer turned 90ļ to the truck). Yes, there are hitches that automatically slide back as they turn in a six foot bed, but simpler is better than moving the pin weight way behind the rear axle.

Because the pin weight of a fifth wheel is typically twice the weight of a behind the bumper travel trailer, you want a single-rear wheel F350 as an absolute minimum. For fivers, I MUCH prefer the stability of a dual-rear wheel truck because of the height of the pin above the axle. On the other hand, the stiffness of a dual-rear wheel truck will probably result in cracks in a travel trailer tongue A-frame.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Find a dealer you are happy with and once happy have them do a dealer look up for the truck you want rather than it from the factory. It is out there you just have to look for it.

A friend of mine wanted a F650 White with a Cat engine. He was in Atlanta and it was in Buford SC and had been sitting on the lot long enough that he got it below dealer cost, not that advertised dealer cost but below his cost because the dealer was upside down on the floor plan.

You definitely want a 3.73 rear and forget the fifth if you stick with the F150.

You also may want to look at the EPA specs for the 2009 as each year the true mileage get poorer because of the add ons.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Considering your location all I can say is at least talk to Akin's Ford in Wander Ga.

I had problems, late one afternoon, while heading south and they did a major repaired on my truck, let us stay on sight in our trailer overnight, gave me a loaner car and had me on the road by noon the next day

All in all they replaced the inner ring on the turbo under warranty, turbos replacement is normally about a $3000.00 event, even though I am a second owner and have made several modes to the truck that any other dealer would have claimed I voided the warranty.

Coming from the northeast I am not used to quality service and would never recommend a dealer for any type of repair but I was in trouble and on the road.

If their service was not enough reason for my comments the fact that all this was done a NO COST to me, not even the normal $100.00 warranty few, you might understand my reasoning for suggesting you at least talk to them.
I assume this was a Ford diesel you are talking about. The Ford diesel has a 100K mile engine( not powertrain) warrenty. Or five years. This transfers to any owner. There is no deductible on the engine warrenty. Adios, John
Old 02-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
I assume this was a Ford diesel you are talking about. The Ford diesel has a 100K mile engine( not powertrain) warrenty. Or five years. This transfers to any owner. There is no deductible on the engine warrenty. Adios, John
Yes you are correct. However in New Jersey it would be hard for the original buyer to have work done under warranty let along someone off the road, second owner, and have done some modes to the rig.

I made my comments because I was so impressed by the nature of the dealership and it was local to Atlanta.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbgenrich View Post
I'm closing in on my plans, which include buying a new 2009 F-150. I know the company may go bankrupt, I know used trucks are available for much less, etc. Still, that's what I'm planning to do. I just had the high-pressure pitch about "if I find this will you come buy it today".

It's easy to find MSRP for any configuration of models and options. It seems easy to find "dealer invoice" as well - I know that's a misnomer and they have kick-backs, but it's a number that's not subjective. I know there are rebates, another number. Several numbers, what do I pay?

Last night I configured one via the Sam's Club web site (I know they just send me to a dealer, but I can get some numbers that way). My referred dealer apparently sells "dealer invoice less rebate". Is that the best I can hope for?

I'm just making these numbers up, but say MSRP is $40,000, dealer invoice $37,000, rebate $3000.

Suppose my Sam's Club dealer (or any other) says "that'll be $34,000 plus tax/tag/title". Is that good a deal? Should I hold out for lower?

-CB-
Shoot, no that's not a good deal for you, but it sure is for your dealer!

These days you should shop around to find a dealer who will give you employee price (3% below invoice), minus holdback (another 3% off), minus all applicable rebates, AND I'd also ask him to apply a show coupon or 2 (another $500 off possibly), AND ask him if he's getting any Ford Credit floorplan support that you can participate in if you take the truck on his lot off his hands. Now THAT's a deal.

If your still spec'ing out your vehicle, Ford has an integrated back-up camera that is one of the BEST options going for towing a travel trailer. No only can you back up to any hitch on a dime, but it also shows exactly where your rear wheels are as you back up, and is color coded so you know how far you are away from objects as you back up. Get that truck with power telescoping trailer towing mirrors, an integrated brake controller (works with electric trailer brakes but not all disc brakes though) and the back up camera, and you'll be in heaven!

However, I'm with Road King Moe on the truck selection if you are ever going to using it for a 5th wheel, and then I'd also opt for the 4.10 gears.

John
Old 02-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I have never bought a truck or car off the lot, always factory ordered them through the fleet manager. That way, you pay for exactly what you want. Savings to you and the dealer come in the elimination of flooring costs, ad/promo fees and gives the dealer another vehicle if he's on an allocation for popular models. While I appreciate Flyfishers use of a sharp pricing pencil, the dealer is entitled to a fair profit so he'll still be there next year when you have a service issue.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
CB, check Edmunds on the internet for prices of most everything for every model. Consumer Reports will sell you the same info and maybe more via the internet. Kelly's Blue Book used to have a lot of info, but last time I checked, the website was kind of screwy. Sometimes you can find holdbacks and other add ons. Toyota holdbacks (translation: "dealer profit") are around 3% also. All dealers will add on advertising and they guard that ferociously as well as holdbacks. I've gotten them to give up part of the holdbacks, but not the advertising. Rebates can be different in different parts of the country, and Edmunds will give you that info. Now that it's the end of the month, vehicles on the lot can get cheaper because the dealers do not want to renew the loan on those trucks. If you are a member of AAA, they will find a deal for you that could be better than you can do, but it depends on the broker. With AAA you don't have to pay dealer prep.

And don't let them high pressure you. The last guy that said to me "how much profit do you think I should make on this truck" I told "I don't give a s**t whether you make a profit or not". Things went downhill from there for a while, but after we each staked out our territory, we got along fine and he gave me the real invoice which listed the holdbacks, advertising, etc. Two years later I walked in to buy a truck and he handed me the invoices first. Sales managers respect fighters because they are fighters themselves. I come armed with printouts, legal sized pad, calculator.

Gene
Old 02-27-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Cb, good for you going with the Ford. America, and itís automotive industry, need our loyalty more than ever. Lotís of Folks underestimate just how critical the US Automotive industry is to the entire economy, ever more so in these troubling times. No doubt it is good time, from the buyers perspctive, to get a new vehicle.
While I am a dedicated GM guy, the Fordís are real nice too!

BUY AMERICAN!

Bill (Born on the 4th of JulyÖin America)
Old 02-27-2009, 10:49 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
I'm looking at buying a new truck this year as well. Which is a departure from my normal philosophy on buying vehicles. I normally prefer to buy used with cash if at all possible, saves on interest and you let someone else eat the depreciation. Also there is no problem getting a factory extended warranty these days.

With the deals that are out there for new vehicle buyers I believe I will purchase new this time. I have also been told by a friend in finance that this is a good time to finance and keep a hold on most of your cash.

I'm going with Ford because they haven't begged for the bailout money and the ceo is taking a huge voluntary paycut. I've traditionally been a fan of Dodge trucks but I just think Ford is the best company right now and they have really stepped up their game on truck performance. Also the F-150 made the good list for trucks on the safety ratings.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote