Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #21
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
No Bill, I love my Tundra, built and designed in Texas. Since you're in the market, why not, just for laughs, go to a Texas Tundra dealer, and drive one, crawl underneath and see how big everything is. Get it out on the road and put down the hammer and see if you can withstand the G forces.

Check out this thread, especially the link in post #5: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...cle-48764.html

Some evidence Toyota built the Tundra in part, maybe a large part, like a 3/4 ton truck.

And yes, I've noticed that a lot of people are happy with their Fords (that '56 Mercury I had, besides being dorky, did traumatize me), apparently much more so than Dodges. GM trucks get mixed reviews. Perhaps you've noticed that Tundra owners (with one exception from a couple of months ago) are very happy too. If the rumors that Nissan will simply rebadge Dodges is true, and Chrysler and GM keep going down, maybe almost all the choices will be Toyota and Ford in the future.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #22
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Since you're in the market

Gene
Not me, all set for a long time…

OP is in the market for a nice Ford!

No thanks, I had a bad experience with yota, similar to your Dads with Chrysler. Been GM ever since. I am not comfortable towing my 7000# Excella with a ½ ton …any ½ ton. Besides, no foreign made pickup trucks could handle my TC (~ 3000# payload). Not even close.

AFAIK, regardless of where they are assembled. Toyota is still a foreign company. For better or worse, I’ll send my dollars to my Brothers in Detroit, not Tokyo…
While I am sure the yota is a nice 1/2 ton..it is no more capable than any other 1/2 ton out there...

Any, we're getting off topic (again!)

Later, Gene
Have a good weekend,

Bill
Old 02-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Anchorage , Alaska
They're nice trucks and seriously improved over prior years. We just bought one at the end of Dec with the 3.73 axle, max tow package, trailer towing mirrors, crew cab and of course 5.4 engine. Also came loaded with a bunch of stuff that we were not necessarily looking for (chrome package, interior comfort package, bluetooth synch, satellite radio). With that axle & engine, your tow capacity is up at 11,000 lbs. We got them down under 30K. Granted they might have been desperate to book year end deals. Love the truck. Unbelievably, it "can" get 20mpg highway. Good luck.
dukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:17 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
the dealer is entitled to a fair profit
I figure they know when they're not making enough money and won't go below that. I don't want it to be unpleasant or waste their time or mine. But they know their minimum. I have to guess at it.
cbgenrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:13 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
No Bill, I love my Tundra, built and designed in Texas. Since you're in the market, why not, just for laughs, go to a Texas Tundra dealer, and drive one, crawl underneath and see how big everything is. Get it out on the road and put down the hammer and see if you can withstand the G forces.

Check out this thread, especially the link in post #5: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...cle-48764.html

Some evidence Toyota built the Tundra in part, maybe a large part, like a 3/4 ton truck.

And yes, I've noticed that a lot of people are happy with their Fords (that '56 Mercury I had, besides being dorky, did traumatize me), apparently much more so than Dodges. GM trucks get mixed reviews. Perhaps you've noticed that Tundra owners (with one exception from a couple of months ago) are very happy too. If the rumors that Nissan will simply rebadge Dodges is true, and Chrysler and GM keep going down, maybe almost all the choices will be Toyota and Ford in the future.

Gene
I was always happy with the Dodge pickups I have had especially the one with the Hemi, I felt like I could pull anything with it. My family has always been happy with their Dodge trucks as well. I just think Ford is doing a better job from a business standpoint and I really like the stance their CEO has taken.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:25 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I bought a new F-150 three years ago and the list was 40k, purchase price was 30k. They should be hungrier now, so the discounts may be better than 25%.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:05 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
We love our 08 f150. Just about perfect. That being said I would be very cautious about GM and Chrysler. The situation with both companies is very serious. They both can fail, and I would buy only used in those brands. Ford could become the story of business schools for our Grandchildren. I think they all build great trucks, but invest only in a new vehicle brand that seems as we see it today doing more things right vs wrong. I am very closely connected to suppliers here in Michigan. Put it this way to protect the innocent, your GM/CHRYSLER vehicle may very well be a oldsmobile/ plymouth. If it happens it will be quick and with no warning. in a nutshell the debt is now beyond reasonable levels to remain competitive. This is a slam dunk if they get the next handout*(loan) currently under request. Its over baby.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
CB

1. As a Dealer I always try to use invoice as my cost figure and structure my deals accordingly. The holdback (3% of MSRP less destination fees) is sacred - to me - and in many cases represents the entire gross profit on a deal. From this I still have to cover sales commissions, local advertising, inventory upkeep, and floorplan expense beyond about 45 days.

2. As a consumer, I think if you like the dealer and are going to be comfortable with their service, then invoice less any and all applicable rebates and discounts is a fair price to pay. You need to focus your research on what discounts and rebates are available. There are many advertised and just as many that aren't.

3. The invoicing dealer gets the holdback. If your dealer has to get the truck from another dealer he may or may not get the holdback. Usually not. This and transportation fees could add up to as much as a thousand dollars more that your dealer will have in a truck versus one taken out of his own inventory or one that he can factory order for you. I prefer to sell out of stock or special order versus locating and fetching.

4. Not all dealers have the same factory to dealer incentives. This is truer now than ever. Most manufacturers are currently running wholesale programs that promise extra back-end money to dealers on future sales if they order more inventory now. The dealers that take all of their allocation will have more money available to use toward discounting prices.

5. If you are taking an existing vehicle out of a dealers inventory - the last day of the month is a good time. The dealer may need to make one more sale to fill a quota that could mean thousands of extra dollars for him. If not he will at least know where he stands on all current incentives both consumer and factory to dealer. Also, I have 2 working days to report a sale sometimes I am able to hold up reporting a last day of the month sale till I see the next months incentives. If I can help my customer by doing this, I will - providing it won't hurt my side of the deal.

6. I'm not a Ford dealer and I think Ford is getting a lot of mileage out of not asking for government loans - as evidenced by statements in this thread. However, they are not much healthier than GM and Chrysler. Their sales are off just as much and they are losing money at about the same rate. They too are operating off of borrowed money. They had secured their loans prior to the credit meltdown last year.

Most magazines are having to flip a coin to decided between the new F-150 and Ram 1500 as their truck pick for 2009. They are both great trucks. I think they will both be around for years to come.

Roger
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:39 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I hope you are correct, and as a dealer you have forgotten more about this industry than I know. However, and again trying to keep inside information from major sources protected I offer grim news. The single problem will be volume for all over the next 5 years. This whatever it is called recession/depression will have an impact on sales demand for the next 10 years. The graphs and charts I have seen actually put GM at greater risk due its sheer size. GM must reorganize completely. Chrysler can possibly do some snaking around with another european failure , Fiat. That deal looks like a sharing of dealerships in weak markets, but no cash exchange. GM however, in no way, even with optimistic projected market share can support the debt and current operations or proposed changes now being submitted to the government. In an nutshell over capacity will be the end result. Global demand does not justify the current global number of manufactures, and the South Korean boys are killing em. I mean Hyundai is putting the nail in the coffin with the offer to take the car back if your job goes away, even your UAW job!!!!

Now add to the problem of luxury cars such as Saab,Volvo, Bmw, they survived on safety, quality, and brand cache. Its a new era, all that has been equalized by Asian quality and they will have to answer to reduced volumes as well. Most will not be in the states within the next few years and returning back to markets being flooded by the lower cost equally well built vehicles. Its enough for suppliers to start making tough decisions with old friends. This time however, the big guy will be told what the future will be, not the other way around.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote