Old 12-11-2019, 06:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
New diesel Suburban...sort of

...you may have finally gotten your wish. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but I guess it's a start.

https://www.chevrolet.com/upcoming-v...e-and-suburban

panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Ringoes , New Jersey
hmm

Well the outside is not too bad, not a fan of the dashboard, especially the part that looks like an I phone sticking up like a sore thumb. They don't say much about the diesel, except its a 3.0, which sounds small . have to check out the engine specs, not that I'm looking. thanks for the heads up.

moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:22 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
I pulled the specs from the Silverado that I shockingly saw in a dealer showroom last week that had a 3.0L Duramax. Suppose to have about 277hp and 460ft lb of torque at around 1500rpm.

What I saw though on line when I went to config the Silverado with the 3.0L Duramax, 4x4 dropped off. So no 4x4? Also no Allison tranny it would seem.

Not enough for me to give up my gasser quite yet.

http://www.duramaxhub.com/3.0-duramax.html
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:35 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Beverly Hills , California
GM has teased a diesel Suburban ever since they stopped the diesel Suburban in 1999. Will see what the 3.0L diesel can do as it has stiff competition with Ford's 3.5L gas.

Switching from a solid rear to independent is a huge step backward for towing IMHO. This comes from experience from playing in the 8,000 pound territory with both solid and IRS. IRS is capable at that range, but am not seeing where it has the same solid footing when compared to a solid rear.

Using the 2020 owners manuals as references, Ford's Expedition load capacity is up to 15,300 GCWR / 9,300 max trailer for the short body and 15,500 / 9,000 for the long. GM is going to have to do better than its GCWR of 14,000 pounds if it wants to compete with the Expedition in the RV community.

It really is too bad that GM does not see a market for the 3/4 ton Suburban. A simple search of resale prices and short time-on-market for a used 3/4 ton which went out of production in 2012 (Ok, officially it was 2013, but try and find one) should get attention, but apparently not.
JayTheCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Not a fan of the grill styling but otherwise I like it and I think it will be a winner especially with the small diesel. It would be a good setup for a 25' Airstream for those wanting an SUV tow vehicle.
I noticed from the above link that GM will be using the 10 speed transmission. The transmission isn't at a 1 to 1 ratio until 7th gear! That's a lot of gears before it ever gets to overdrive. The 10 speed should make a great towing transmission with a nice low reverse gear for backing up.

GM 10L80 Transmission Ratios

1 4.70 to 1
2 2.99 to 1
3 2.15 to 1
4 1.80 to 1
5 1.52 to 1
6 1.28 to 1
7 1.00 to 1
8 0.85 to 1
9 0.69 to 1
10 0.64 to 1
R 4.87 to 1
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:37 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
In my humble opinion, the only acceptable diesel Suburban would be a 3/4 ton with the big diesel. I don't understand the small diesel for towing, what's the point.
I had a 3/4 ton Suburban with the 8.1 liter gas engine and it was great except for gas milage. PUT THE BIG DIESEL IN!!!
m rafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Standish , California
We cut to the chase and traded in my Denali Yukon with the 6.5 engine and tow package for a 2019 Denali Sierra with the BIG diesel, 940 lb/torque.This beast pulled our 27 FB FC over Marathon Pass in the Rockies, in a blizzard, like it wasn't even there. My husband is so much happier with the new truck, I insisted on the Denali package since I was (willingly) giving up my everyday rig. Size does matter.
StephiesNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
San Luis Obispo , California
Diesel Suburban

One major feature of the small diesel is the solo mileage. The Silverado was tested on a flat interstate run and it got over 30 mpg.
slofoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by m rafferty View Post
-- snip --what's the point. -- snip --!
Well, the point is that doing more with less can do less damage to the environment, your fuel use (resource use minimization), and the balance of the vehicle - hence your safety. The question is - did GM do it right? Will it satisfy you from a performance perspective? Will the vehicle be reliable? Can you damp down the ego to accept enough or will it only be satisfied with Mongomax.

The multi-speed transmission on our TV is a fantastic performance modifier. GM provides their ten speed on other vehicles, so that capability is not limited to this configuration, but it makes the configuration quite capable. Our 3 liter is much more capable than it's 4 liter driveway companion and we really like the 4 liter a lot.

Now, I've bounced between the love of a high rev small and efficient power plant and the love of a high rev big power plant for a long time. I even have the hots now for a low rev Mongomax power plant. Maybe ... we'll see. So, I'm definitely conflicted. I don't even like Chevy. They put a wall in the middle of a perfectly fantastic and revolutionary sports car when they could have finished off that wonderful design with more interior space and utility.

However, Chevy is trying to bring a very interesting multi-purpose vehicle to the market. If you tow horse trailers, maybe it falls short (they sell solutions for that). If you tow an AS and want an SUV .... maybe worth a good hard look. As always, an informed buyer gets the best outcome. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:31 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Beverly Hills , California
I have an Airstream and the current generation Suburban comes up short as combined weight is over its gross rating. The SUV also gets use to its full abilities in terms of cargo. From what I can tell, I am in the rare group of people actually using a SUV for its utility instead of just an oversized car.

As mentioned earlier, GM needs to up their capacity in order to play with Ford in the utility area. Just as another reference, Ford's 3.5L gas motor has the same power rating as what we are thinking the 3.0L diesel will pump-out. Granted the gas motor gets less in terms of fuel economy, but if there is a price premium for GM's diesel over what Ford is charging for its gas motor, then people will question whether the diesel is wort it.

Have no personal interest in chasing down a hens-tooth 3/4 Suburban that is out of production and, when one is on the market, there is pressure to grab it quickly due to ongoing demand. Too bad as I have used one and it is NICE.

This leaves only *one* current production SUV that is rated to pull my Airstream: Ford where my total weight is just inside the rated combined weight.

One thing to remember is that this diesel Suburban is most likely even less of tow vehicle than its predecessors due to going with an independent rear. Multipurpose SUV: Yes. Smooth ride for passenger comfort: Yes. Good behaviors towing a 27+ foot Airstream while also packing the family gear inside the vehicle: we will see.
JayTheCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
A few thoughts about what we know so far...

I tow with a Yukon (short model). It fits in my garage with just enough room I can walk past the front of it so I can reach the side door of the garage. The new Tahoe has grown by more than half a foot. That will probably mean I lose use of the side door.

The current Yukon/Tahoe has a pretty tight turning circle--39.5 feet. We really appreciate that for maneuvering into tight campsites, and around-town driving and parking. How much will that change due to the size increase?

My current Yukon is rated for 1000 pounds tongue weight with a WD hitch. My last tongue weight was 990. I got a look at the sticker on a 2019 sierra, and it was only 950. Are they going to stick with 1000 pounds, or reduce it?

And of course, what's the payload?
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 06:50 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by slofoks View Post
One major feature of the small diesel is the solo mileage. The Silverado was tested on a flat interstate run and it got over 30 mpg.
Suddenly. I am breathing heavily....!
Old 12-11-2019, 07:42 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
My 2018 F350 diesel gets 20 mpg running solo on semi flat highway trips running 70 mph. 30 mpg for a 1/2 ton 3.0 diesel should be doable.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
New diesel Suburban...sort of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Suddenly. I am breathing heavily....!

Sigh. And the line ďIíll have what sheís having!Ē just floated through my mind...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:06 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
They are claiming 460 lb ft of torque @1500rpm which is great, but I'll be curious about the Payload. We currently pull our 25FB with GL450, and I haven't had any issues with power or stability. It's always the axle rating that I have to watch closely, which requires me to always stay on top of the WD Hitch setup and keep on fine tuning it. The GL450 has a Payload of 1600 lbs.
AShar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
It is not going to make me want to rush in and trade my current SUV, but if they ever put the 6.6 Duramax in a 2500 Suburban....
thewarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
It is not going to make me want to rush in and trade my current SUV, but if they ever put the 6.6 Duramax in a 2500 Suburban....
You can buy a nice retrofit from Duraburb.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AShar View Post
They are claiming 460 lb ft of torque @1500rpm which is great, but I'll be curious about the Payload. We currently pull our 25FB with GL450, and I haven't had any issues with power or stability. It's always the axle rating that I have to watch closely, which requires me to always stay on top of the WD Hitch setup and keep on fine tuning it. The GL450 has a Payload of 1600 lbs.
The little diesel has less power than the 6.0 gas, a lot less. 460 lb ft of torque doesnít matter without enough power to go up a hill.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:03 PM   #19
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Imagine a Tahoe with four electrically driven wheels, low center of gravity, abundant torque, (800+ ft-lbs), quick charge of 1/2 hour and 400 miles of towing range......

R1S; coming to a Rivian dealer near you.

GM had better change fast, because the world is leaving them behind.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:55 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
[Dear Pat, Iíll tamp down my ego when I see you tow a fully loaded 27 AS and a fully loaded 1/2 ton Suburban with the 277 hp diesel through the Rockies with no problem. Good luck.

;2314959]Well, the point is that doing more with less can do less damage to the environment, your fuel use (resource use minimization), and the balance of the vehicle - hence your safety. The question is - did GM do it right? Will it satisfy you from a performance perspective? Will the vehicle be reliable? Can you damp down the ego to accept enough or will it only be satisfied with Mongomax.

The multi-speed transmission on our TV is a fantastic performance modifier. GM provides their ten speed on other vehicles, so that capability is not limited to this configuration, but it makes the configuration quite capable. Our 3 liter is much more capable than it's 4 liter driveway companion and we really like the 4 liter a lot.

Now, I've bounced between the love of a high rev small and efficient power plant and the love of a high rev big power plant for a long time. I even have the hots now for a low rev Mongomax power plant. Maybe ... we'll see. So, I'm definitely conflicted. I don't even like Chevy. They put a wall in the middle of a perfectly fantastic and revolutionary sports car when they could have finished off that wonderful design with more interior space and utility.

However, Chevy is trying to bring a very interesting multi-purpose vehicle to the market. If you tow horse trailers, maybe it falls short (they sell solutions for that). If you tow an AS and want an SUV .... maybe worth a good hard look. As always, an informed buyer gets the best outcome. Pat[/QUOTE]

m rafferty is offline   Reply With Quote