Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1987 34' Limited
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
New Camper Shell for Ford F-250?

Hi guys!

We are looking to buy a truck topper for our new Ford F-250 and are not having a lot of luck researching online. It seems like you can't get a price without requesting a quote... and so far there are only two companies I've found (Leer and Hawk). I just want to get some advice from someone who has actually purchased and/or owned one. How much should I be budgeting if I want it painted to match the truck? Are their any other manufacturers to look into? We don't really need anything fancy, we'll just be putting the generator and other equipment we want protected in the bed.

We are also looking to get a spray in bed liner, and even though there is plenty of info on those when we google feel free to weigh in on that too if you have experience.

Thank you SO SO much for your help.
saranautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Just had this Leer put on my new truck. It's a 100XR with side Windoors and fold down sliding front window. About $2300.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150115_140945.jpg
Views:	12143
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	231327  
Old 01-29-2015, 08:32 AM   #3
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I have had good luck with Leer caps. I have had two and just ordered a third for my new pick up. Just call your nearest dealer and they can go over all the options. They fit well and mine have never leaked. Of course if you order one which I suggest it will be color coded to match your truck if that is what you wish. Go online and look at all the options and kind of get an idea what you must have and go from there. The dealer that is ordering mine is doing many other things to my truck so I can't really give you an idea what the cap itself is going to cost but I believe they are around $1500.00 for the basic model.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:36 AM   #4
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
I have Caravan camper top on F150, and someday I will put one on a F250. They are made in Reno out of steel. They are the best camper tops made, and the State of Nevada is now using them, for Highway Patrol and Fish and Game.

I have seen trucks that rolled and the camper top looked better than the truck. All custom made, and painted to match you vehicle..Caravan Camper Tops | Camper Tops and Canopy Tops in Reno | Custom Made Steel Weather Proof Truck Tops
Old 01-29-2015, 08:41 AM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
We ran into this same problem last year with the topper/shell. What I finally did was call a Leer dealer near us and just asked the sales guy. The dealers appear to be networked to some degree. He found us a shell that is perfect for us at another dealer nearby. We were looking for something to fit our "Newsed" 2002 F250, so we got kind of "deal" on one that had been sitting around for a while on the dealer lot. As far as painting goes...can't help you there much, we were looking for basic white.

Prices seem to be all over the place with these things. Our shell "originally retailed at about $3000" but we got it for less that $900. Sure, Sure. Let me climb back up on that turnip truck.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. Check out A.R.E as well, another big name in the biz.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2009 30' Classic
Melbourne, FL , Searsport, ME
I've had an A.R.E. for over a year now and am very pleased with it. No leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
WBCCI #2810
acstokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:00 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Leonard

I have the Leonard 100XQ. I chose this model because I like the sleek, one piece side windows. You said you don't need anything fancy, so I would think the 100R or 100XR would be all that you need. DO get the remote key fob to open the rear door. Worth the 100 bucks, and you definitely need a light back there. Mine was painted to match my TV. If I remember correctly, painted to match, taxes, tags, title, out-the-door price was right in the $1625 ballpark. Your price will be lower for the lesser model. Stick with a fiberglass top with a lined ceiling. The metal ones get hotter n Hades in the summer. Mine took 11 days to be delivered to my dealer after I ordered it. Just give them the VIN number and their factory will match your paint.
I have been pretty happy with mine.
As to the liner, I bought a used Cheby, and it came with the plastic liner. As I have large dogs, that wasn't going to cut it. I added a very thick rubber mat so they weren't flyin' all around the bed when I went into a curve or stopped quickly. I paid almost 200 for it, but it's a very nice one. Check e-bay for sure.

Don't try and find a used top like I did with the hopes of being able to re-paint it to my vehicle color. I looked for almost two months for a used one. Seems like there is every used top imaginable on the market, BUT the one that fits your truck. IDK, Fords are more popular than the Cheby's. You might get lucky.
Good luck in your search, and welcome to the forums. PM if you have specific ?'s or would like to speak over the horn.
Happy Streamin'
Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobum View Post
I have Caravan camper top on F150, and someday I will put one on a F250. They are made in Reno out of steel. They are the best camper tops made, and the State of Nevada is now using them, for Highway Patrol and Fish and Game.

I have seen trucks that rolled and the camper top looked better than the truck. All custom made, and painted to match you vehicle..Caravan Camper Tops | Camper Tops and Canopy Tops in Reno | Custom Made Steel Weather Proof Truck Tops
What is the average weight of these compared to fiberglass? I think an ARE 6.5' shell is slightly under 200lbs. Do you have to travel to Reno to get one?

Do you have the swing out doors and do they clear the trailer tongue jack?

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
Just had this Leer put on my new truck. It's a 100XR with side Windoors and fold down sliding front window. About $2300.
How useful are the opening side windows. Can you reach in there to pull anything out? I would need a step ladder.

Do you find the folding front window useful?

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
There is also Century Caps which are made in the same factory as Leer, but hundreds less in cost. We are on our fourth and find them to be an excellent product.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . I've had both ARE & Leer, but this time picked a Snugtop. Nice top, NOT cheap with awning windows on sides. (about $2k, same as everybody) The side windows are fine, but I rarely use them (5 1/2' bed) My ARE leaked like a sieve, & dealer was terrible to work with. Finally got it sealed myself. Both Leer & Snugtop had/have rack on top, & and no leaks. Regards, Craig
Old 01-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #12
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I'm struggling to get a price too, I had to play the order sheet/quote online yesterday from Leer, awaiting a reply.
Lifetime and ARE, two others I considered, but Leer will build to 40" high. I'm looking to carry a motorcycle, and need the extra hight, the others build to 36", 23" is cab high.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:36 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
We have a Leer Browning Special on the wife's Lincoln LT since 2007 and it has been perfect. Comes with a locked ceiling safe and Tule rail setup with wind deflector on top. Great looking and very functional.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:11 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
The high country. Black Mountain range. , North Carolina
Bought a Century last fall to go on our 2002 2500HD (painted to match the truck). It is a cab high profile and we have had no problems. Looked for a few months for a used bed slide and found one about a month ago used for $200. It makes all the difference in the world. I think the topper was around 2K. We also got the Thule racks for a canoe/kayak.
JaynEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have a cab high ARE brand cap.
I could never find one used that had the features I wanted but you could try Craigslist anyway.
Our ARE cap has the side windows that fold up like the back window but the side windows leak. The cap also has a folding front window so you can clean the cap and cab window.
I put the Yakima racks on top so I can carry a ladder, lumber or canoe.
Inside there is a coat rack that folds out from the ceiling (good for wet hunting coats).
There is a lining on the inside which is a nice finishing touch to the fiberglass.
I installed my own light strips from Superbrightleds.com. It is like daylight inside the cap with the lights on.
One other item that swayed me toward ARE was that the rear window operates with only one handle. Most others seem to be two handles.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:29 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
I bought a Century for my 2015 F250 last summer. Also bought a slide-out bed at the same time. Have been happy with both. For a senior camper, the slide-out has been a real plus. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #17
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
I got very lucky and found a nearly new Leer unit with an exact paint match on Craig's list. $700. My previous truck I was just as lucky and got nearly the same deal on a century unit for $300. Had to be patient and it took about two months of checking Craig's list. Had the Linux liner sprayed in the bed as well. Put a luggage rack off a ford expedition on the roof of the new shell. Again found on Craig's list for fifty bucks. Yakima towers and bars on top of that. Again Craig's list. I'm too cheap to buy new I guess. Love the shell on the truck. Keeps things a little more secured than an open bed. You can stuff it full and still carry your canoe/kayak/bikes on top if you need too. Now if I can find a good bed slide on Craig's list....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-29-2015, 01:15 PM   #18
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Jrithchie- I can't tell you the weight (it is heavier of course) but I can tell you I drove that truck with a gun vault in it, along with two hunting dogs. It NEVER got hot inside (Caravan makes a radiator air intake for the top), I never had a leak, and frankly, after eleven years it was one of the best buys I have ever made. Not cheap, I think I paid $4,500 for it and another $2,000 for the vault.

You do need to go to Reno, they are custom built and they do the install.

Double doors, no problems with the trailer jack....
Old 01-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
How useful are the opening side windows. Can you reach in there to pull anything out? I would need a step ladder.

Do you find the folding front window useful?

Kelvin
Kelvin, I ordered the sliding Windoors because we have two 100 lb Labs that like to hang out in the back, so if it's hot out, they can still have shade but get plenty of air flow. When the windows are popped open like in the photo, I can easily place my full palm on the inside bed of the 4WD truck and I'm 6'1. The other benefit is the inside of the windows can be cleaned and the sliders opened without having to crawl in the back.

The drop down (removable) front window is nice so you can wash the windows between the truck cab and the shell. It has a slider on it as does my truck rear window so I can communicate to the dogs from the cab.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by saranautilus View Post
We are also looking to get a spray in bed liner, and even though there is plenty of info on those when we google feel free to weigh in on that too if you have experience.

Thank you SO SO much for your help.
My new truck came with a factory spray in liner, but on my 2006 F250 I had Line-X sprayed in the bed. It held up incredibly well. I also put a heavy rubber mat in the back to save my knees when crawling around back there.