Old 01-29-2015, 01:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have a cab high ARE brand cap.
I could never find one used that had the features I wanted but you could try Craigslist anyway.
Our ARE cap has the side windows that fold up like the back window but the side windows leak. The cap also has a folding front window so you can clean the cap and cab window.
I put the Yakima racks on top so I can carry a ladder, lumber or canoe.
Inside there is a coat rack that folds out from the ceiling (good for wet hunting coats).
There is a lining on the inside which is a nice finishing touch to the fiberglass.
I installed my own light strips from Superbrightleds.com. It is like daylight inside the cap with the lights on.
One other item that swayed me toward ARE was that the rear window operates with only one handle. Most others seem to be two handles.

Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
I bought a Century for my 2015 F250 last summer. Also bought a slide-out bed at the same time. Have been happy with both. For a senior camper, the slide-out has been a real plus. Good luck.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:13 PM   #17
Storm Master

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
I got very lucky and found a nearly new Leer unit with an exact paint match on Craig's list. $700. My previous truck I was just as lucky and got nearly the same deal on a century unit for $300. Had to be patient and it took about two months of checking Craig's list. Had the Linux liner sprayed in the bed as well. Put a luggage rack off a ford expedition on the roof of the new shell. Again found on Craig's list for fifty bucks. Yakima towers and bars on top of that. Again Craig's list. I'm too cheap to buy new I guess. Love the shell on the truck. Keeps things a little more secured than an open bed. You can stuff it full and still carry your canoe/kayak/bikes on top if you need too. Now if I can find a good bed slide on Craig's list....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-29-2015, 02:15 PM   #18
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
Jrithchie- I can't tell you the weight (it is heavier of course) but I can tell you I drove that truck with a gun vault in it, along with two hunting dogs. It NEVER got hot inside (Caravan makes a radiator air intake for the top), I never had a leak, and frankly, after eleven years it was one of the best buys I have ever made. Not cheap, I think I paid $4,500 for it and another $2,000 for the vault.

You do need to go to Reno, they are custom built and they do the install.

Double doors, no problems with the trailer jack....
Old 01-29-2015, 02:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
How useful are the opening side windows. Can you reach in there to pull anything out? I would need a step ladder.

Do you find the folding front window useful?

Kelvin
Kelvin, I ordered the sliding Windoors because we have two 100 lb Labs that like to hang out in the back, so if it's hot out, they can still have shade but get plenty of air flow. When the windows are popped open like in the photo, I can easily place my full palm on the inside bed of the 4WD truck and I'm 6'1. The other benefit is the inside of the windows can be cleaned and the sliders opened without having to crawl in the back.

The drop down (removable) front window is nice so you can wash the windows between the truck cab and the shell. It has a slider on it as does my truck rear window so I can communicate to the dogs from the cab.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by saranautilus View Post
We are also looking to get a spray in bed liner, and even though there is plenty of info on those when we google feel free to weigh in on that too if you have experience.

Thank you SO SO much for your help.
My new truck came with a factory spray in liner, but on my 2006 F250 I had Line-X sprayed in the bed. It held up incredibly well. I also put a heavy rubber mat in the back to save my knees when crawling around back there.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:37 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
2007 25' International CCD
1993 32' Excella
Largo , Florida
We have an ARE We traded in our Roll n lock when we went from the 5th wheel to our present AS. Have no idea of the cost, but if I were to guess, somewhere around 1300. Very happy with the product.

>>ron<<
Old 01-29-2015, 03:51 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Sioux City , Iowa
I like our ARE with a walk in door and lift up hatch. It's very handy, clears the hitch and I don't have to reach over a tailgate. No leaks and plenty of headroom. It came on pickup so I'm not sure what it costs. Really good color match.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3773.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	449.4 KB
ID:	231342
Old 01-29-2015, 06:12 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Same Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by acstokes View Post
I've had an A.R.E. for over a year now and am very pleased with it. No leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
I've had several A.R.E truck cap and have been very happy with the quality of material and craftsmanship. Just looked into the cost of an A.R.E spec'ed out for a 2015 F250, just incase I get a new truck.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:58 PM   #24
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
This is our second ARE cap, painted to match, top o' the heap - full glass back door, smooth side glass with rear sections that open (just for ventilation), hinged front window, interior "rat-fur" lining, Yakima rack factory installed, Bedrug from the local dealer, $2500. One leak at first, but tightening the clamps solved it.

Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:21 PM   #25
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Leer and ARE are the only canopies I have seen that I would consider. So far, I've had 3 Leer canopies and one brand X. I had a tree come down on a Leer when it was off the truck, so I cheaped out and bought the brand X. It's junk.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #26
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
I currently have the ARE cap and would do so again. It is a fine product and the local dealer offered the best discount among the six I queried. My previous cap was a Leer but it ran about $170 more so ARE won my business.

I have two Great Danes so the bed serves dual duty as cargo space or kennel. I installed the "Bed Rug" liner rather than a spray coating like Line-X. The rug is a dense foam backed marine carpet which is basically impervious to use. The foam follows the ridge and valley contours underneath yet its perfectly flat above so dog feet have traction without twisting and it makes a padded surface.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:16 PM   #27
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I had one Leer, one ARe. zero problems with either.

Bed liner.. buy same place as your 'cap' and make a 'package' deal... there are options like the swing out side windows which can make access to forward area easier.

I built a platform in my truck so I could slide things out.. 2 levels... lost about 3 inches of 'height', in storage capacity, but I could get to stuff in the FRONT of the bed without crawling in over other stuff..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:55 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
I built a platform in my truck so I could slide things out.. 2 levels... lost about 3 inches of 'height', in storage capacity, but I could get to stuff in the FRONT of the bed without crawling in over other stuff..
A boat hook works good for pushing and pulling gear to and from the front of the bed too.