Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2018, 11:40 PM   #1

1982 34' Limited
Henderson , Nevada
Cool New buyer - need help with tow vehicle

Hi Air Forum world, happy to join you! My wife and I just bought a 1982 Excella 34' tri-axle (don't even know if I said that model correctly...) We can't wait to restore it to its prior glory, but we need a new vehicle to tow it. The local airstream dealer told me "don't use anything less than a 3/4 ton diesel." The wrinkle: we have six kids and need seats for everyone. Does such a vehicle exist that will comfortably tow my trailer and seat my family?? Do I really need a 3/4 ton? Thank you all!!
acfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:38 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. That's a tall order. About the only vehicle that can adequately hand eight passengers is a Suburban. You probably will need a 3/4 vehicle to handle the passenger payload plus the 10,000 pound Airstream. Chevrolet has not made a 2500 Suburban for several years. You may be able to find a good used one.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:05 AM   #3
Silver Spud

1975 31' Sovereign
Twin Falls , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by acfackrell View Post
Hi Air Forum world, happy to join you! My wife and I just bought a 1982 Excella 34' tri-axle (don't even know if I said that model correctly...) We can't wait to restore it to its prior glory, but we need a new vehicle to tow it. The local airstream dealer told me "don't use anything less than a 3/4 ton diesel." The wrinkle: we have six kids and need seats for everyone. Does such a vehicle exist that will comfortably tow my trailer and seat my family?? Do I really need a 3/4 ton? Thank you all!!
No you do not need an oversized 3/4 ton diesel to travel. Diesels have a premium purchase price, premium fuel price and a premium maintenance price. Seriously not worth the ability to climb an 8% grade at full speed and engine brake down the other side. Look at the Toyota Sequoia or Tundra and you will find a match that won't break.
shadrick5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:10 AM   #4
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I would look for a older Ford diesel Excursion. The ones with the 7.3 diesel are great vehicles with a very good engine. They are demanding fairly high resale prices though, and will likely have a lot of miles. My brother’s has 300,000+ and is running great.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:17 AM   #5
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
WOW! Six kids, two adults, 34' tri axle and all their belongings........the only upside is that the early tri axles were actually quite light for their size.

There is a person towing an early 80's tri axle with a Honda mini van, but I think you need to get in contact with Andy Thompson at Can-Am RV in London Ontario. Shoot him a line with weights of all the people involved; you haven't told us you weigh 350 lbs, your wife 250 and each kid is a potential NFL linebacker. Also have a good idea on what each person will pack on a trip and make them stick to it, as eight people with 40 lbs is 320lbs of crap.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:14 AM   #6
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
I would be looking at passenger vans. With six kids/two adults and all their gear I don't see how you can go with anything less than a 3/4 ton by the time you add up all the weights. Additional options like 4X4 will eat into your payload number as well. I am not an expert but this is the way I would go.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:49 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Don't make the same mistake I did. $72,000 down the drain. I bought a 3/4 ton diesel thinking it would be overkill for my 27FB Classic. Boy was I wrong. Calculate your load. You, your wife, and 6 kids could easily exceed 1000#s. Now add your tongue weight of 1200+ lbs. Your at 2200 lbs. Add your toys, food, pets, water, maps, and other things you put in the glove boxes add another 50-100#. Don't forget how your family will grow in1 year: +100#s.
You can't use a pickup no matter 3/4 or 1 ton. You need a custom van with seating for 8. The van should have a payload (only identified on the door sticker of the specific vehicle you are looking at). This payload should be a minimum of 2500# and probably over 3000 if you intend to take any big toys with you( bikes, camping equipment, grill, whatever. Sorry but you really need a custom 1 ton van Diesel is great. The heavier truck will drive like the trailer is just coasting. Be thankful you can realize your dream. Others have done it with a lot less.

Happy streaming
gr.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:59 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Griffin , Georgia
Crowd Carrying Tow Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
I would be looking at passenger vans. With six kids/two adults and all their gear I don't see how you can go with anything less than a 3/4 ton by the time you add up all the weights. Additional options like 4X4 will eat into your payload number as well. I am not an expert but this is the way I would go.

I agree with ITSNO60. For that many people and a triple axle trailer, you probably want to look at a 3/4 or one ton chassis passenger van. Diesel or gas is more a matter of preference. Diesel has a serious premium front end cost and higher general maintenance cost (if you maintain them properly) but they have a longer life span by far and generally more towing power at better fuel economy. You will probably have to look at Ford, Chevy, or Mercedes. I am not sure Dodge makes one anymore. I'd look at what the most likely crowd carried would be and get seating for that. Another upside is that the suspension can be upgraded by several different methods to allow decent handling both with and without towing. Look at the aftermarket trucking industry for help enhancing tow capability and passenger comfort when not towing - and adding power and engine/transmission cooling and lubrication. The same people could help you bring an older van back up to reliability if you buy older to get what you want at a price you can afford. Vans had and still have both diesel and gas engine options.
Travel Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
palm beach gardens , Florida
Forget the mini van, the Can Am guys are great but that would really be pushing your luck. Excursion or 2500 Suburban is clearly your best bet. If Chevy or GMC made a 2500 diesel today, they would sell everyone. At least i would buy one. Have a blast!!
Starlight Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #10

2002 30' Classic S/O
Zanesville , Ohio
Speaking from experience having towed 26 to 34 footers with a load of provisions and passengers purchase to most you can afford. If you are going to be traveling through rural roads with hills or even mountains you will wish you had plenty of horsepower. A three axel pull requires additional radiator and transmission cooling. The 360 cube gas engines won't be adequate and mileage pulling a trailer is lousy. The recommendations for a 6 liter diesel should be seriously considered.
royorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Chevy express van comes in 8, 12 or 15, passengers with 6 kids I would get the big one. Diesel is also available, but harder to find used. I would look at one ton. There is a huge difference in the heavy duty nature, with the one ton. Plenty of room kids will love it!!
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:53 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Six kids... lucky you!

Save yourself some grief. Get the four door 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup, or a F350 1 ton for less than $100 more for the extra spring on each side of the bed.

Purchase a vehicle that will follow the trailer for the wife and three kids. We had two adults and four young adults one ski season in our Tundra Crew Max. Sardines, but for only 90 miles in Colorado... one way.

There are two Airforum members with 34 foot Airstreams, one with three kids and the other with four. But 4 to 14 years old. Either may find your Thread.

Two vehicles... and everyone can have plenty of room. As some get older, they will be doing their thing and may not be interested as much in participating.

Sell the extra vehicle and some day, just the two of you in the pickup.

If you have an accident being overloaded... it is not worth the 'savings' by going cheap. Do it right, new, used or already owned. The kids will not mind and everyone will be looking forward to the next gas station for restrooms and freshen up a bit.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
You might also look at the 2018 Ford Expedition. Completely re-designed for towing this year, has amazing muscle, great comfort, and seats 7 very comfortably—-8 would be a real squeeze, however.
I would probably also second the suggestion to look at the Suburban.
Barretta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:47 PM   #14
Rivet Polisher

1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Pleasant , North Carolina
We have been towing our 31' Excella with a Chevy Express 3500 and it would easily have room for all the family and their toys. Mine is a 2009 6.0L gas model and so far it has towed ours with no issues.

Don't waste the extra $$ for a diesel TV, they are wonderful but not worth the extra price tag or the extra maintenance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170723_170746.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	526.4 KB
ID:	314078   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170909_075319.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	383.5 KB
ID:	314079  

wildhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:23 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
A 1982 34' Airstream is very stable and easy to tow, it tows easier than a current 25' so you have plenty of options. One of our customers with 6 children towed their 84 34' all over the continent for 2 months each summer for 12 years with a 1985 1500 Suburban.

Today the best SUV for you would be a Ford Expedition EL. This is a much safer and more stable tow vehicle the Excursion ever was.

If you would like more space and fuel economy a Ford Transit or Mercedes Sprinter will also tow it very nicely. The vans don't get the independent rear suspension of the Expedition but they have a lower center of gravity and a better wheelbase/overhang ratio. These vans are much more advanced than the older GM Savana or E series Fords. They are available in a variety of roof heights and lengths. The shortest height and length work best but you can add more length if you need it.

No matter what you tow with it is very important to connect it properly and very few trailers are. If you like feel free to send me an email andy@canamrv.ca and I can send you a couple of sheets on how to set it up properly.

I hope this helps.

Andy

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:03 PM   #16
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Also don't forget those kids will get BIGGER and HEAVIER each year, and they will have FRIENDS!!! Better make it a one ton 15 passenger!
Old 06-15-2018, 05:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. That's a tall order. About the only vehicle that can adequately hand eight passengers is a Suburban. You probably will need a 3/4 vehicle to handle the passenger payload plus the 10,000 pound Airstream. Chevrolet has not made a 2500 Suburban for several years. You may be able to find a good used one.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Brian
Brian. They DO make a 2500 Suburban gasser. Not commonly carried at most dealers, but look at what the Secret Service uses when following the motorcades. Many police departments seem to use them. 12 mph towing or not on level ground.

And I am not sure that it is still in business but there ised to be an outfit that made aftermarket "Duraburbs"... Duramax engine with its Cummins transmission plunked into a suburban body.

The Expedition isn't a bad idea either.

I also agree that diesel is nice, but with six children there are better ways to spend the 20K premium.

I bet Freightliner makes something appropriate too, but in the 100K range.

Happy hunting. Paula
Old 06-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Sorry re the 2500 suburban i meant 12 miles per gallon...

Lots of very good advice above, I had not thought of using two vehicles, but it has some definite merits, especially if you are planning shorter trips, and if you've ever needed to separate fighting children.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:16 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrick5 View Post
No you do not need an oversized 3/4 ton diesel to travel. Diesels have a premium purchase price, premium fuel price and a premium maintenance price. Seriously not worth the ability to climb an 8% grade at full speed and engine brake down the other side. Look at the Toyota Sequoia or Tundra and you will find a match that won't break.
Not really sure how well either are suited to eight people though!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:45 PM   #20
Rich and Kat

2017 30' Classic
Alexandria Alexandria , Virginia
I completely agree with the one-ton advice. All contents you load in the vehicle (passengers, coolers, etc.) count against your payload ... you also need to add your tongue weight. Don’t fall for marketing hype ... you need to open the door and look at the payload sticker on the door jam of the vehicle you’re considering. The max payload is different for every vehicle. It has running boards and a moonroof? That’s 400 lbs. off of your available payload. Do the math and determine what your minimum payload is, accounting for future growth.

Regarding diesel or not, there are lot’s of folks who will advocate that a diesel isn’t required. I trust they’re correct. But... We’re only pulling a 30’ double axle (10K GVWR) trailer, so far, only on the east coast traversing the Appalachians many times. Let me assure you, I cannot count the number of times we’ve come down the back side of the pass without touching the brakes once ... completely relaxed ... and I laugh myself giddy, out loud, every time, repeating for my wife, “I can’t believe we even considered a gas engine due to advice in this forum.” And then, there’s climbing the front sides of the passes ... in MY HUMBLE OPINION, a 6L diesel is a no-brainer. I’ve had numerous gas V8’s, a 7.3L Power Stroke, and now this Cummins Turbo Diesel rocks. If I was buying now, though, I’d likely go with the Ford. We can’t wait to see what you wind up pulling with... Save travels and good luck with your decision.
Save
AIRHEDS is offline   Reply With Quote