Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
New BMW SAV TV- 20 mpg Towing?

I wanted to make all forum members aware of the new BMW TV for Airstreams that weigh less than 4,400 lbs fully loaded. It is the 2013 BMW X1 SAV (sport activity vehicle). It is available in either rear wheel drive or all wheel drive. This is basically a small SUV. What makes this a great TV are 5 things: 1. It is very stable as the ratio of rear overhang to wheel base is small. 2. It has a new turbo charged 4 cylinder that put out 258 lb-ft of torque at only 1,250 - 4,800 rpm. This is really a lot of torque considering the gross combination weight should be less than 8,000 lbs. 3. It has a new 8 speed tranny. 4. The rear drive version gets 34 mpg highway! 5. This is a great car to drive solo and it is quite fast- 0 to 60 in 6.2 seconds.

The fully equipped cost is less than 35K and it is made in Germany.

The 4,400 lb tow rating is based on the tow bar specs provided by Westfalia.

The new drive train is also available in the BMW X3 SAV. It is larger, costs more and is available in only all wheel drive.

This will no doubt be my next vehicle. I believe that this vehicle towing a 66-68 Caravel should get 20 mpg towing gently.

For those not into vintage the new 16' Sport would be a great match for this new BMW.

So what do you all think?

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5463.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	654.0 KB
ID:	177696  

Old 01-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
TANSTAAFL. I have no doubt that it could be a good tow vehicle for something like a Caravel, but I'll believe 20 MPG pulling a trailer when I see it proven.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
I just got 16MPG going down the highway with my diesel X5 3.5d with my 22'. My normal Highway MPG is around 26. Since the 16' Sport is wider than the 22' and as MPG is more to do with wind resistance, I would bet against it getting 20mpg.

I can't find the official towing capacity of the X1, but the max payload is 900lbs. So subtract out stuff in the car and a hitch and you certainly don't have much tongue weight allowed. The empty 16' Sport tongue weight is 350, add in full propane tanks and some say spare tire you may only be able to have the driver in the X1.

The X3 has an official tow capacity of 3000 lbs in the us and a max payload of 904 lbs, I doubt the X1 would be higher.

-Dwight
Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Looks like a nice vehicle. The big brother's X5 and X3 have certainly proven themselves as TV's for many.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
DKB

My experience of towing with 2 different TV has been that the fuel mileage towing is reduced by about one third, so taking one third off of 34 mpg (highway) is 22 mpg. Hence I think that 20 mpg with the Caravel is realistic. A test is needed though to verify wishful thinking.

Dwight

I never said that 20 mpg towing with the 16' Sport is possible, but it indeed may be.

If you apply the same towing mpg ratio with your X5 to the X1 (16/26) the X1 should get 21 mpg with the 22' Sport.

BTW, I thought that both the 16' and 22' Sport were narrow body Airstreams.

The door jamb payload is 904 lb. This may be with a full tank of gas, because the normal payload calculation of GVWR (4,707 lb) minus the empty weight (3,527 lb) is 1,180 lb. Either way, you would need to travel light.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5466.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	544.9 KB
ID:	177698   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5467.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	575.3 KB
ID:	177699  

Old 01-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
what about the new Pathfinder? They even advertise it pulling an Airstream.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
College Place , Washington
It looks like the 16 is 8 wide, and the 22 is 7' 3 1/4.

http://www.airstream.com/travel-trai...pecifications/
Old 01-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
TouringDan: I don't want to seem like I'm harping on this topic... my excuse is that I'm a car nut, I saw the X1 at the local auto show recently and was relieved that they've finally come up with something better than the X3, which I always thought was pretty awful. I like the X5 (except for the price) and hate the X3... I'm picky I guess.

Anyway, the reason I'm a bit skeptical about 20s is the drastic increase in effective frontal area you'll see with a trailer in tow. I'm thinking that the 34mpg number may require careful driving to achieve, with a "normal driving" highway number in the very-respectable 28-30 range, but hanging a big drag chute behind a turbo 4 is likely to be a big mileage hit. I'll be interested to hear real-world numbers if you go this route, since BMW has been dropping wagons and was one of the last to offer real wagons that are fun to drive in the US, I've been looking at more crossover-ish options. My Legacy GT Wagon won't last forever.

X1 sDrive28i (BMW-speak for 2wd, turbo 4) with xLine, cold-weather and Ultimate packages ticked comes in at 41,495... I suspect the Msport can be configured to be even more expensive, but may only come with the 6-cylinder, I didn't investigate.

Still, given the choice between X1 or X3 I'd go X1 all day long. Maybe they'll bring a nice stump-pulling diesel, but if they can get 34mpg on the EPA test with the gasoline engine, they may not bother.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
We average about 23 MPG towing 8' wide Airstreams with our Jetta Diesel. It has 242 torque but less horsepower. Still performance is more than respectable. I hear the Mercedes GLK which is their smaller SUV will soon be available with a 2.5 Litre diesel. I would not be surprised to see close to 20 towing with it.

I always figured the 3 series sedan with the 3.0 Litre diesel would be the best economy. Though we have set up a few 3 series they have all been gasoline versions. If you don't need an SUV the Passat Diesel should to well over 20 towing and of coarse amazing mileage solo.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

20 mpg and the tooth fairy, birds of a feather.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgandc View Post
I just got 16MPG going down the highway with my diesel X5 3.5d with my 22'. My normal Highway MPG is around 26. Since the 16' Sport is wider than the 22' and as MPG is more to do with wind resistance, I would bet against it getting 20mpg.
I have the same TV/TT as MorganDC, and while I am a great proponent of a well-matched medium SUV towing combination, I too think this is an optimistic MPG number. The turbo-diesel is one of the more efficient engine setups available, and it would be surprising to see a gasoline motor surpass this. The lesser size & weight of the smaller BMW SAVs would make them even better daily drivers than the X5, but pretty much limits you to a Bambi class trailer.

Reckon we all need to see the first X1 with a proper hitch setup, and some real world towing numbers. At the BMW dealer, I have yet to see an X3 or X1 with a Class III receiver!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
TouringDan: I don't want to seem like I'm harping on this topic... my excuse is that I'm a car nut, I saw the X1 at the local auto show recently and was relieved that they've finally come up with something better than the X3, which I always thought was pretty awful. I like the X5 (except for the price) and hate the X3... I'm picky I guess.

Anyway, the reason I'm a bit skeptical about 20s is the drastic increase in effective frontal area you'll see with a trailer in tow. I'm thinking that the 34mpg number may require careful driving to achieve, with a "normal driving" highway number in the very-respectable 28-30 range, but hanging a big drag chute behind a turbo 4 is likely to be a big mileage hit. I'll be interested to hear real-world numbers if you go this route, since BMW has been dropping wagons and was one of the last to offer real wagons that are fun to drive in the US, I've been looking at more crossover-ish options. My Legacy GT Wagon won't last forever.

X1 sDrive28i (BMW-speak for 2wd, turbo 4) with xLine, cold-weather and Ultimate packages ticked comes in at 41,495... I suspect the Msport can be configured to be even more expensive, but may only come with the 6-cylinder, I didn't investigate.

Still, given the choice between X1 or X3 I'd go X1 all day long. Maybe they'll bring a nice stump-pulling diesel, but if they can get 34mpg on the EPA test with the gasoline engine, they may not bother.
DKB

I figured you were a car guy. The 1/3 hit that I figure on towing a trailer may not be enough towing an Airstream behind the sort of slick X1. I hope that I get to test my theory out to see if I am correct or at least close. I mean if I still came in at 18 or 19 that would be ok too. I just like round numbers and really just to see how well I could do towing a light Airstream and also rocket from 0-60 in 6.2 seconds solo. Both getting the X1 and Caravel may be long shots for now or at least a ways off. Somebody else may get to test my theory out before me.

I don't know how tough it will be to get 34 on the road with the X1. My big Tundra is rated at 18 highway and I can easily get 20 on level ground and normal wind; and that is just a big box! My 02 Jetta 1.8 Turbo is rated at 31 and I can easily do 34 mpg highway on it.

I was bummed out when they said they were not bringing the X1 hatchback into the US.
However, I view the X1 SAV as not much bigger than an X1 hatch since it is only 61" tall. I think the X3 is about 68" tall.

Dwight

Thanks for setting me straight on the Sport dimensions. I was wrong.

Andy

Thanks for chiming in with the Jetta TDI towing fuel economy figures. I have wondered how well these did towing.

Question. I have an 09 Jetta 2.0 turbo and an 02 BMW 330ci. Any preference on either of these towing a Caravel? Just in case I can't swing the X1 SAV.

Thanks for all your knowledge and the help you provide to the forum members. You really are appreciated.

Thanks, Dan
Old 01-31-2013, 10:11 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzo View Post
Reckon we all need to see the first X1 with a proper hitch setup, and some real world towing numbers. At the BMW dealer, I have yet to see an X3 or X1 with a Class III receiver!
I have an '07 X3 in my garage with a BMW class III hitch. It has been a great tow vehicle for us for many years now towing a smaller boat (1500-2000 pounds). Couldn't be happier for that use but don't think I would use it to tow my new 28 International.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:28 PM   #14
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Here's what I want.

I love my Jetta; a fuel efficient tow vehicle for my Airstream would be nice indeed.

- Bart

http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote