Old 05-01-2014, 11:03 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member
2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Edgewood , New Mexico
Holy Grail of Tow Vehicles

Had a '02 GMC Denali 6L gas engine Quadrasteer pickup towing a '13 25'FC FB that got 11 mpg on the flats. In the Rocky Mountains it was stressed and the mpg went way down.
Traded for a '12 Ram 2500 Mega Cab w/6.7L CTD with 350HP/800LBS torque that gets nearly 13 mpg towing on the flats and doesn't seem to realize its traveling up mountain passes. It is completely stock and '12 was the last year the Ram required no DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid).

High Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #30
Rivet Master
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Keep in mind that towing an Airstream doesn't need all that much power. I own a 34' International that weighs approx 7000lbs camp-ready.

Hp output, as measured at the wheel, at 60mph on the highway fluctuates from 40 to 60hp, depending on grade and wind. The highest output I've ever measured, accelerating from a standing start up a fairly steep grade was 148hp. Hp output was measured via the OBDII port.

My vehicle frequently goes into eco mode (switches two cylinders off) when on the highway.

A bigger truck will give you more payload, but I'd try and see what the H2 can do first.

andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)