Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2007, 06:05 AM   #1
P&J
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Schaumburg , IL
New 25'FB and Truck - Where do Bikes go?

We brought our new 25' FB Safari home last week, with our 2007 Tundra. It looks wonderful, but now we have a problem. Where do we put the bikes? Origianlly we thought we would add a bike rack to the back of the airstream, but now the dealer says that will cost $1000 and is not recomended. We already purchased a cover for the truck so I cannot put them in there. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2017 truck airstream 01.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	50765  
P&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hi P & J,

Nice looking combo! If I were you, I would go to your nearest quality bicycle shop and look into getting a roof rack system from either Thule or Yakima for your bikes. You can mount the cross bars either on the roof of your truck or have adapters added to your bed topper to accept same.

I have used them extensively and they work great....leaving your truck bed open for 'other things' .

BTW, You made the right decision to NOT add them to the rear of your trailer. Airstreams are not designed to carry extra weight at the rear of the trailer.......especially when it is cantilevered out past the end of the trailer.

I travel with my bikes right inside the trailer. I use a little device that clamps the front fork onto a 2 X 6 that has anti-skid matting on the bottom of it. They don't slide around and are really not in the way either. And you can always take them out and lock them up if you need the full room of the trailer. This method does require you to remove the front wheels, so if your bikes don't have a quick release mechanism, it probably wont work for you.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:17 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1989 25' Excella
1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Kimball , Minnesota
I prefer to keep the bikes "inside" for security reasons. Mine with fit inside the truck if I remove the front wheel or inside the trailer if I don't.
Some of the toppers can accomodate a bike rack on top, but be careful of clearance issues.
musketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:18 AM   #4
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Culpeper , Virginia
Ditto what Lewster said.
Fair is where they put ribbons on pigs.
FordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:24 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We also have a Safari 25 FB. We carry a 15' kayak and a large cargo box on top of our tow vehicle (2005 Suburban). We use a Thule rack system and cargo box. Both Thule and Yakima make bicycle rack systems for all types of vehicles including Pick-ups. Check-out their websites and see what might work with your TV configuration.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
When we towed with the Mini Van we removed the rear seat and the 2 bikes fit neatly in the back of the van (with front wheels off).

Now, like Lewster and others the bikes travel inside the Airstream. They stay dry and protected from all elements with minimal inconvienience. Again front wheels come off easily.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:40 AM   #7
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
I have mine mounted to the front of my E350 TV.
Works for me.
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:54 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
I tried using the above the cab Q-clip system from Yakima for a few years. It worked well 99% of the time. But that 1% was a little hairy. I have now switched to their "control towers" bolted to a set of rails bolted to my truck cap. Much more peace of mind, especially with a kayak up there in the breeze. You might want to check on systems that will mount above the topper, or look into a bike rack for the front of the truck.
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:14 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Pearland , Texas
great looking setup! love the truck, I have the same one.

How's it pull the 25'?
what about gas mileage?
have you made any mods to the truck?
can you see around the trailer with the stock mirrors?

i know, lots of questions, but I've got myself talked in so many circles trying to make a decision on what i want, I don't which way is up.
rhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:19 AM   #10
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
We used a front hitch for the bikes when we had the Suby, kayaks up top. This worked great.

Now with a pick me up, bikes go in the bed, kayaks, porta-bote up top. This is even better (easier) to access everything.

Not sure you can get rails for the roof on that one, but look into it. Thule rails work with a greater variety of components, and are a little less expensive than yak.

I am going to suggest you get rid of that bed cover, unless you have something really specific you need to cover up, you will find these things limit how you can use your truck. I think you are finding that out already…I never understood why someone buys a truck, and then eliminates access to the bed wit a hard cover?
The roll up kind ("soft") are easier to live with, and lets face it, if someone wants to steal your stuff...they will. Having said that, I have used soft covers on 2 trucks and never had a problem. They roll up out of the way, keep your stuff dry when needed, and allow full access to the bed for other stuff; firewood, gravel…
The new generation of these is awesome. Takes 10 min to install, work great in cold weather, and “click” shut.

My .02

Bill
Old 12-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #11
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
click on the "reviews" tab at the top of this page- then go to the hitches reviews. I posted pics of a real slick setup on a sob. That owner raved about this rack, /he said it was Canadian Made- ey.I have tried to find it on line without success so looks like I may have to fab one. Anyway another idea for you.Don't let your tongue weight get away from you! eh

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:41 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Our bikes go in the bed of the truck. When we're anchored they go in the coach or can easily go in the back seat if it's folded up.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:55 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Smile

P&J

We had the same problem with our 25'. We mount our kayaks on the roof of the truck's cap with Yakima mounts and purchased two Dahon fold-up bikes that we store in the bed of the truck to replace our montain bikes we use to store on the top of our pop-up. Can't ride the Dahons on the beach but they sure beat walking.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:56 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I keep mine inside the AS on the floor. I mounted a fork mount on a board. Works great.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:18 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Interesting post and I really had an issue with this on our last 7900 mile tour of the country. I ride a lot. Over 5k miles when home on a very nice road bike. In the end I figured the type of riding I wanted to do was less than 10 miles from the park and at least get some exercise, better than none. The problem is a bike can take up huge amounts of space and extended periods of time w/o use.

So, with lots of research I went to a folding bike. Downtube makes a wonderful line, I bought the mini and it is just great. We leave for our next tour of duty in Jan and I more excited about the downtube than anything else.

I looked into folding bikes years ago bu the quality was horrible. This mini is all Shimano and an aluminum frame. It has a built in rear suspension as well. It folds into a bag that fits into the back seat of ny car. This alongside a undercover hard tonnau cover is making for wonderful set up. good luck.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 01:24 PM   #16
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&J
...We already purchased a cover for the truck so I cannot put them in there. Any suggestions?
hi p&j!

some options...

1. roof rack for truck (thule, yak, saris)

best approach IF planning to carry anything else up there occasionally (canoe, kayak, skis) but overhead height goes way up, to ~ 10-11 feet

2. a free standing rack (beddy joe like this or diy using a 'block head' attached to 2x4)

this can go inside the trailer, sitting on the floor walkway area.

3. most fiberglass toneau covers will accept bike racks attached through the reinforcement points, using the roof top rack models (thule, yak, saris)...

check with the maker of your toneau cover or visit a good bike shop, or search the online bike rack vendors...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 02:18 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
2004 25' International CCD
Bend , Oregon
Bikes go inside my Tundra shell most of the time. I also have a yak system on top. Wife and I ride a ton, have used yak system for 18 years, on many different vehicles.

If you want a high end folding bike, take a look at the Ritchey breakaway. Ritchey Break-Away
Old 12-13-2007, 04:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
How about a hitch receiver on the front of your truck for the bike rack? Some people do that.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:42 AM   #19
P&J
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Schaumburg , IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoward
great looking setup! love the truck, I have the same one.

How's it pull the 25'?
what about gas mileage?
have you made any mods to the truck?
can you see around the trailer with the stock mirrors?

i know, lots of questions, but I've got myself talked in so many circles trying to make a decision on what i want, I don't which way is up.
We were running in those same circles for the last year.
I think we made the right choice, but so far we have only towed for 25 miles getting home. We did opt to put a Hensly on it. We were passed by a truck on the way home, and the thing seems to work.

We get 14 mpg without the trailer, and it looks like 10 with it. That 's not so bad, we were getting 12 with our popup. We are still going around on the tow mirrors, Our truck did not come with them, and no we cannot see around the tralier. We were looking at getting them added on later, but we are still trying to figure that one out. Everything else is stock.

Judy
Old 12-14-2007, 04:49 AM   #20
P&J
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Schaumburg , IL
Thank you everyone for the suggestions .

We were feeling bad for just a moment, we thought we had planned for everthing, until we realized we forgot the bikes.

I think we are leaning tword putting them inside. I guess we have a few months to figure it out, since we are covered in snow here in the Chicago area. I guess that gives us a reason to sit inside the trailer and plan.

Thanks again
Judy