Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2007, 05:45 AM   #21
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I have been working with a bike rack company in Canada for the past three months to cutomize a bike rack to fit my Airstream trailer. Basically it is an adjustable system to mount on the trailer front A frame with a rack to hold 2 or 3 bikes. I should be receiving the first prototype next week.

They are designing it to accomodate various Airstream models because they realize we cannot hang bike racks off the rear bumper. They are working to make it adjustable for mounting to allow for WD hitch brackets. The upper tray that holds the bikes over the propane tanks is removable for opening the front window. There will be support arm that attaches to the front jack plus a three point attachment system to secure the bikes to the rack. The extra weight gets assistance from the WD hitch.

So for me towing with a VW Touareg, I can mount the bikes without fear of scratching the car because its about half as high to lift the bikes. And I can still get in the trailer to use the fridge or bathroom while on the road.

Will post more info and pics when it arrives.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toppop.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	50826  
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:51 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forum, P & J. Nice looking rig.

Look at these threads on the June Forum Rally held in the Midwest. A fun group to get to know.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/cale...y=2007-6-8&c=1

For many years, I used a 2" receiver on the front of my vehicle and had a welder make a bike rack for me. That way I could use it in the front when towning and in the back of the TV if solo. Only downside was bugs. I still have it and if you want to see it let me know and I can email a picture to you. I'll sell it if you are interested. I don't need it anymore.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 08:01 AM   #23
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Same bike rack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo
I have been working with a bike rack company in Canada for the past three months to cutomize a bike rack to fit my Airstream trailer. Basically it is an adjustable system to mount on the trailer front A frame with a rack to hold 2 or 3 bikes. I should be receiving the first prototype next week.

See my post 11 on this thread. This is the same rack I mentioned. It cost 600 bucks.What's the name of the company mojo?? The one I looked at last july would bolt right on to my excella. Has the price been lowered?

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:35 AM   #24

Incline Village , Nevada
I have the same truck with a Leer tonneau cover... and Thule makes a system for bikes that will mount on top of the tonneau cover...
bfalkenborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:20 PM   #25
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
See my post 11 on this thread. This is the same rack I mentioned. It cost 600 bucks.What's the name of the company mojo?? The one I looked at last july would bolt right on to my excella. Has the price been lowered?
Doorgunner, it's because of your original post I went on a search to find that rack. It's a company called Top Pop out of the Montreal area. Mine is being shipped now. Price $490 including shipping. They went to some extra effort to outfit for Airstreams to extend over the propane tank, etc. As soon as it comes in and I try it out, I'll post more info. If it works, they will probably put it into their lineup.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:06 PM   #26
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
I keep mine inside the AS on the floor. I mounted a fork mount on a board. Works great.

I do the same. Can fit three bikes in the aisle nicely. But, we seriously cycle and would not want our bikes to catch any highway bugs, or, rain.

Tom
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:07 PM   #27
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Idea and tow mirrors

I don't have any other ideas (except one) but we do have an '07 Tundra Doublecab and an '08 Safari FB. Our Tundra is blue, yours looks grey.

We have a hard tonneau and they are a pain for carrying building materials (I use bungie cords on the tonneau locking rods to hold it down when the 4x8 sheets or 2x4's stick out), but helps gas mileage and I can lock things inside. Harder to get into a hard tonneau than a soft ("cut here").

One idea: put one bike on old blanket on bed, another on old blanket in truck bed and bungie in to keep from banging around.

We've gotten 11.5 mpg with this setup, but your truck is a bit heavier. I think the Toyota tow mirrors are a factory installation, but you can check with a dealer. They're fine, but they would be better if they were out about 2 more inches so I could see what's behind me better. You may have to go aftermarket (big bucks either way). There are cheap mirrors that sort of clip onto your existing ones. The advantage of a real tow mirror is the second, lower mirror, which tells you what's alongside of you and where the trailer is in reference to the road. It's well worth spending the money for that or else you're blind in traffic.

Welcome to the Forum.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:39 PM   #28
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Here's a shot of the pick-me up with the Old Towne up top and bikes in the back...
Is this your first truck? Don't complicate things; dump that hard cover and use your truck like it was intended!
The quicker I can pack up and get out of town the better...isn't this why you bought a truck and not a SUV? To throw stuff in the bed! I have an old Thule rail system mounted on 2 x 4's that I can drop in the bed in a a few seconds, this holds the bikes, the boats go on the Thule cross bars on the roof.

Sometimes I am amazed by how complicated some folks will make things...
K-I-S-S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8630 (Small).JPG
Views:	157
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	50888  
Old 12-15-2007, 06:15 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo
It's a company called Top Pop out of the Montreal area. Mine is being shipped now. Price $490 including shipping. They went to some extra effort to outfit for Airstreams to extend over the propane tank, etc. As soon as it comes in and I try it out, I'll post more info. If it works, they will probably put it into their lineup.
Here is their web site for anyone who is interested. I think I'll give them a call.

http://www.toppoprails.com/Traveltrailer.htm
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:15 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Nice rig P&J.

We went with a custom bumper bike rack developed by our dealer - Can-AM RV. I posted a few detailed photo's in my photo album - just do a search for Garfield.

It's a 2-bike Top Pop fold-up rack custom mounted using Zip-Dee hardware. The rack only weighs a few pounds. Two typical bikes will add 70 lbs but they carry close to the rear of the bumper which reduces stress on the frame/chassie. This solution weighs far less than a typical 2" receiver solution. Can-Am developed this years ago and have experienced no problems. It does make access to the bumper storage and rear storage area more cumbersome, but compared to all the alternatives this was the best solution for us.

Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:53 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Nice looking rack Garfield. Is that your Airstream? It looks brand new!

Note many late model bikes now can weigh under 25lbs each.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:55 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler
Nice looking rack Garfield. Is that your Airstream? It looks brand new!

Note many late model bikes now can weigh under 25lbs each.
Thanks Wayne! Yes, Can-Am really does good work.

We were very fortunate to find a 2001 in such great shape. I'm wondering if the previous owner stored it indoors, but as you can see the exterior is essentially new. Not bad for a 7 year old trailer!

Set-up by Can-Am RV
Old 12-15-2007, 10:23 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Really nice looking Safari, Garfield. I like the bike rack too. The only problem is with my Classic i woundn't be able to get into the rear storage comartment. The bike rack made by Pop Top Rails looks very interesting, and I'll be keeping my eyes on this tread to see how that rack works out.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 10:57 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
We were very fortunate to find a 2001 in such great shape. I'm wondering if the previous owner stored it indoors, but as you can see the exterior is essentially new. Not bad for a 7 year old trailer!
That is for sure. Very
Old 12-15-2007, 12:07 PM   #35
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
How much did the "rack" cost you at the time?
Also, does the dealer have them for sale?

R/

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:42 PM   #36
_

. , .
bikes on the back of anything...

doesn't matter 2 me if bikes mounted on the rear hurt the trailer or not...

because it's a cruel way to treat a decent bike!

with so much sand and salt and dirt and water and muck collected back there...

i prefer a location that protects them from these elements, like inside the shell or trailer.

even rooftop racks have issues but at least it's mostly wind and rain up there.

decent bikes deserve better than frontmountbugcrust or rearmountsandandmuck.

didn't someone say...

"we can judge a society by how it treats the bicycles"

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman
Really nice looking Safari, Garfield. I like the bike rack too. The only problem is with my Classic i woundn't be able to get into the rear storage comartment. The bike rack made by Pop Top Rails looks very interesting, and I'll be keeping my eyes on this tread to see how that rack works out.
You might want to call Can-Am to see what they think. IIRC Andy Thomson (owner of Can-Am) talked about this back in 2003, so it's been around for a while.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Old 12-15-2007, 02:02 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari-Rick
How much did the "rack" cost you at the time?
Also, does the dealer have them for sale?

R/
To be honest I don't rightly know the exact cost as it was included part of the deal when we bought the trailer - probably best to email/call Can-Am.

Welcome to Can-Am RV Centre

Gary
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Old 12-15-2007, 02:34 PM   #39
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It looks like a good way to avoid photo-radar tickets also

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:41 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
doesn't matter 2 me if bikes mounted on the rear hurt the trailer or not...

because it's a cruel way to treat a decent bike!
As usual 2air makes a valid point. Carrying bikes at the back of the trailer is not the best for either the bikes or the trailer, but everything is a trade-off.

We still need to take four bikes when our kids come along and there's only room for two inside the trailer, so this solution allows that. You can also put a rack on the A-frame but the A-frame on our Safari is really short and it's much messier to do. I also looked into mounting a 2" receiver in front of the Yukon, but that solution has plenty of drawbacks too (like having to take the seats off to see the road properly for example). Since we carry the canoe on top of the Yukon that was out.

Of course, everyone's situation is different, but the fact that my DW and I don't have very good bikes helped!
Set-up by Can-Am RV