Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2010, 03:17 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
honda van perhaps?

if you're hauling kids ever--get a 4 door truck or a 2005 or newer honda odysey van. the honda vans are extremely comfortable, powerful, and manuverable. They are pricy but i feel they are one of the best all around vehicals on the road--even as a van. cheers--ted
the544man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildkittens View Post
We really appreciate all of the advice from everyone. Lots to think about!

Terry (and all): Please let us know about any upcoming Airstream rallies in or near Arizona.

Also, can anyone explain how to attach a photo to our profile? I had no trouble downloading a test photo, but the instructions on how to show it in our thread make no sense (something about a BB in the corner of the full sized image...???).
Will do! I'll PM with 4CU/WBCCI Rally info and I can coach you on getting a picture up on your profile, too...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:51 PM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Oooo... I looked at Consumers Reports on the Touareg, and they had an "interesting" summary:

The Touareg has a quiet and luxurious interior with excellent fit and finish. Handling is responsive but didn't shine at the limits. Although the ride is steady, it is a bit on the stiff side. The 3.6-liter V6 pulls adequately but returns just 15 mpg overall.

A turbodiesel is also available, while the V8 engine has been dropped. The cargo area is modest. Many controls are complicated.

On the plus side, it's one of the few car-based SUVs that's a capable off-roader. Towing capacity is generous. Reliability of the Touareg has consistently been well below average.

A freshened Touareg arrives this fall and will include a hybrid version.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2022 16' Basecamp
Columbia Falls , Montana
I have to put a plug in for the pick-up over a van or SUV as a tow vechile. Our TV is a truck with a camper top, and it's invaluable for carrying all the extra stuff you need that you can't haul in the AS, nor would want to put in the clean carpeted areas of a van or SUV (firewood, charcol, grill, wet stuff after a rainy camping trip).
MTsafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #25

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
The older ones had issues. But they (VW) makes a great car and suv. The TDI is the only way to go IMO. That where the milage improves. I had a 2002 Jetta TDI and it was close to 40 hwy and I put over 175,000 miles on it with only running belt changes and tires. There is a thread on here about how they tow and the mpg performance. Honda is a great choice so is Acura if you want fancy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Oooo... I looked at Consumers Reports on the Touareg, and they had an "interesting" summary:

The Touareg has a quiet and luxurious interior with excellent fit and finish. Handling is responsive but didn't shine at the limits. Although the ride is steady, it is a bit on the stiff side. The 3.6-liter V6 pulls adequately but returns just 15 mpg overall.

A turbodiesel is also available, while the V8 engine has been dropped. The cargo area is modest. Many controls are complicated.

On the plus side, it's one of the few car-based SUVs that's a capable off-roader. Towing capacity is generous. Reliability of the Touareg has consistently been well below average.

A freshened Touareg arrives this fall and will include a hybrid version.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:08 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
We use a Honda Ridgeline as our only vehicle & tow vehicle. It has all the comfort of a car plus it was designed to tow. The most knowledgeable person we know of relative to tow vehicles, hitches, trailers is the owner of Can-Am RV Centre in London, Ontario. His name is Andy Thompson. He writes a column in Airstream Life on towing and accepts calls. Check this test drive video on his Web Site Can-Am RV Centre (London, Ontario)

After hearing him speak to Alumapalooza, we took our Ridgeline & 19' Bambi to him. He reinforced the receiver in the Ridgeline, furnished, installed and set up a new hitch. He then took us for a test drive, demonstrated the stability and taught us lots about proper adjustment of our our brake controller and made tire recommendations for when it's time to replace the truck tires.

The hitch is easier to install than the one we had before and the trailer/truck drive better than ever.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #27
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I have a first year 2004 VW Touareg. They had a few problems with them early on but a couple of recalls and all was fixed. I will buy another.

Towing with it is great. With air suspension, I can lower and raise the car to hitch/unhitch in some very unlevel campsites. Plus it can go anywhere a stock jeep can go which is great out West in the mountains. It pulls my 19 Bambi easily and I don't need a WD hitch because the car automatically self levels. I do use a sway bar and have no problems with side winds or trucks. The new Diesel 6 is a towing beast.

Don't get mislead by Consumer Reports. They would have us all driving a Prius!
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote