Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2004, 01:33 AM   #1

Need advice: Toyota Tacoma 4X4 Ext. Cab for late 70's 25' Tradewind?

Need solid, experienced advise on using my 1999 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 Extended Cab, V6, automatic to tow a 1977 A/S 25' Tradewind.

I've written up all relevant data I believe (vehicle and trailer weights, ratings, maximums, etc.) which I'm happy to share (email?)

I know it's close--and I'd really like to do it!--but I don't want to kill myself nor the truck (transmission, transfer cases).

Thanks in advance!

Thierry
thierry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 04:07 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
1969 18' Caravel
Lovettsville , Virginia
I own a Toy Taco with a manual V6, and I've used it to pull a pop up in the past. It would in no way be able to pull a 25' AS. Please don't even entertain the idea!

Bob
takenitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 04:54 AM   #3
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
I have a '94 Toyota extended cab V6 auto 4WD. It has a tow rating of 3500 lbs. I currently use it to tow my 17' Burro widebody 17' trailer at +/-2500lbs. I tow it mainly on the flatlands in Iowa. The few hills we have are a real chore for it. I towed my '70 23' Safari lightweight special (3750 lbs) with a 3/4 Supercab Ford. I wouldn't even have considered towing my Safari with the Toyota. A Tundra or Nissan Titan would be the minimum I'd consider for a 25'.

I second the vote. Don't even try it.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 10:23 PM   #4

Adding data...

Thanks for your input. Everyone I've asked says the same thing "No!".

However, the data seems to say "close...maybe...":

Base Curb Weight (weight of the vehicle) 3460
Payload Weight (GVWR - Base Curb Weight) 1644
UVW - Unloaded Vehicle Weight (trailer) 4090
Hitch Weight 725
GVWR - Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 5100
Cargo Weight Rating 1100 -750
GCWR - Gross Combined Weight Rating 9000
GAWR - Gross Axle Weight Rating front 2650
rear 2800
Maximum Gross Trailer Weight (trailer + cargo) 5100
Maximum Gross Trailer Weight + Total Weight of Vehicle
Maximum Trailer Tongue Load 350

Most recent data on Toyota.com says this truck has even higher figures, like:
650 tongue weight
11,000 (V6 w/towing package)
6500 maximum towing capacity

Having no trailering experience, I can't question other's experience! However, I do want to check out every angle, including what can be resonably modified on the truck (leveling hitch, sway bars, springs, shocks, air bladders)?

Anyone else actually towed any size Airstream with a V6 Tacoma 4X4 Ext Cab, late model? What can work? 23'? 19'

Thanks again!
Old 11-03-2004, 12:16 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Hi Thierry,

Not even close, unfortunately. That would be a serious case of the tail wagging the dog over every bump, crosswind and lane change. Your truck is just too light and underpowered for a trailer that will be over 5000lbs and has 64sf of frontal area. You would be pushing it even with a V8 Tundra. What you saw regarding specs for the new Tacoma is the '05, which has been enlarged in every dimension, including engine size and horsepower. It is now effectively a mid-size truck with a 4 liter, 260hp v6.

Your GCWR is 9000 and you will be well over that with a Tradewind. Ideally you should be at 80% of GCWR for safe handling and longevity of the tow vehicle, which in your case would be around 7200lbs loaded up. That means that if your truck weighs 4200, you can comfortably pull up to 3000lbs, which probably means a trailer in the 2000-2400lb range dry. The Tradewind will be over 5000lbs with minimal gear. You will be in first gear on steep hills.

The problem is that the trailers weigh more than stated. A 4000lb trailer is often 5000 with A/C, microwave, battery, propane, minimal water, food and gear. For comparison, I just towed a friend's 75 Tradewind with her late model E350 (1 ton) Ford van and while it was ok, you could definitely feel that trailer back there when trucks passed. With an E350. You do the math.

john
Old 11-03-2004, 11:51 AM   #6

That settles that!

Thanks everyone (John, Roger, Bob) for the replies!

Unfortunately, it looks like to get into the Airstream way will mean getting a different tow vehicle. So, this is all a much bigger proposition than I was hoping! That's the price of art, I guess!

Thanks again all.

Thierry
Old 11-03-2004, 12:14 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
1969 18' Caravel
Lovettsville , Virginia
Glad I could add my .02 cents without you being offended Thierry... my wife and I were popup campers for many years, with the '97 Tacoma being the last tow vehicle we used for that trailer.

When the popup lifestyle became played, we opted for a large full size truck in anticipation of moving up in size trailer-wise... my wife wanted a fifth wheel, but I became enamored with the A/S - this was one of the few battles where I came out on top

Anyway, we are both happy with our 30' Classic... I'm sure if you looked hard enough, you will find a suitable truck/SUV in which to pull your future A/S.

Bob
takenitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 01:49 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

I had a 1996 Tacoma V6 5 speed 4wd ext. cab prior to getting my duramax. There is no way I would consider trying to tow that camper any where with the toyota. It would absolutely tear the truck's running gear all up.

It is better to have more than enough capacity in towing to maybe just breaking even. If you want to tow that A/S, you will need a heavier rig up front and something with a little more torque.

I loved that toyota and miss it, but it is not suitable for what I use my truck for now. It was a great vehicle though.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
'05 Toyota Tacoma

I was wondering if anyone has any new opinions on the 2005 Toyota Tacoma double-cab as a tow vehicle. Could it handle a mid-70s 23' Safari(dry weight 3460/hitch wt 570)? Anyone have any experience with the '05 Tacoma yet?

Here are the specs from the Toyota website:

Curb Weight (lbs) 4100
GVWR 5450
Payload 1350
Tongue load 650
Max towing capacity 6500
GCWR - Gross Combined Weight Rating (V6 w/tow package)11,100
Wheelbase (in.) 140.9
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 10:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
Nope

We are a Toyota family.. we own a 2002 Tundra, 1998 Tacoma, 1996 Tercel, and a 1987 Van-Wagon.

We tow our Ambassador with the Tundra. I coudln't even TRY with the Tacoma. Maybe the Tercel?????????????????? (NOT)

Tundra is GREAT, but we also try to keep our weight down. The hills in Iowa were a bit hairy ont he way to the VAC Rally alst summer.

NO WAY should you wear out your Taco!
flamingo-kid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 11:33 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Colo Spgs , Colorado
Hola

Here in Colo Spgs is a member of the Southern Colo MoPar Owners Club who has been towing his " garage queened" 1970 Challenger to car shows on a trailer. His tow vehicle is a 1985 Dodge pick up with dually's, 360 4 bbl and four speed.

Now he just stated that he wants to sell the truck for $5,800. This truck would be a great tow vehicle for your vintage 1977 trailer ( The rear page of the 1978 Dodge Truck brochure shows a Dodge truck hauling a twin axle A/S up some country side road to their next camping site ). If you are interested his name is Sam. His email is: SamsdeMan@yahoo.com and his cell is: 1-719-494-6688. And he knows that I'm doing this.

Rodger & Gabby
Colo Spgs

'63 Le Baron
'66 Le Baron
'70 Overlander-InterNational Dbl
'77 D150 w/360, NP 4spd, 3:55 & etc
Rodger with a D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 06:42 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Maybe a Tundra?

Flamingo-kid1 -- So you think a Toyota Tundra would work for a 23' 1970s Airstream? We're Toyota folks too and we need to trade our Camry for a tow vehicle. We've been considering the new V8 4Runner, but the wheelbase is a little short. So we looked at Tacoma next. Much beefier in 2005 but maybe still not up to task. We need room for 2 kids too, so we need a double-cab, only found in later models of Tundra and Tacoma. Any thoughts?
Old 02-05-2005, 07:12 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
Flamingo-kid1 -- So you think a Toyota Tundra would work for a 23' 1970s Airstream? We're Toyota folks too and we need to trade our Camry for a tow vehicle. We've been considering the new V8 4Runner, but the wheelbase is a little short. So we looked at Tacoma next. Much beefier in 2005 but maybe still not up to task. We need room for 2 kids too, so we need a double-cab, only found in later models of Tundra and Tacoma. Any thoughts?
If you go with the Tacoma, you'd wish you hadn't. It's better to have MORE tow capacilty than be "on the edge." And I love my Tacoma.

We own an antique shop, and have a furniture trailer, too. It weighs as much as Luna (our AS) WE had the '00 Tundra first, and now the '02, and don't think we're going to trade up to the brand new one.

We've had NO problem with towing, although we did install the friction sway bar, and it has really helped, because over 55 the semi's would sway us a bit. We don't travel MUCH over 55 but travelling to Colorado from Illinois last summer the semis did swish by.

We are strictly Toyota people, but you should keep an open mind and listen to the other people here on the forum who have "been there, done that." Look at the other trucks, too, but we do love the Tundra.

Luna is a 28 footer, and is fully out-fitted. You learn tricks, liike fill up your water tank when you GET there. But first make sure that that's possible :-)

Stay tuned to this forum!
Old 02-05-2005, 08:45 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I seem to be having trouble opening a new thread on the forum, so this looks like a good place to ask a Toyota question. I have a new Toyota Tundra tow vehicle for my 24ft Argosy. What trailer brake is best? Do I need a sway bar? The truck came with a towing package. Do I need a special connector on the Argosy? There are no AS dealers in this area. Who should I take the truck to for this work? Judy
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 05:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tundra

Thanks to advice here and from others, we've decided to look for a Tundra. Took one for a test drive over the weekend and looked at a Limited model yesterday. Very nice!! (Nice big price too! ) The increased horsepower in the '05 model makes it look even better for towing. And the crew cab has lots of room for our family.

I have a similar question about hitch and sway bars. What would you all recommend for us, with the Tundra pulling a 1976 Safari?

Judy - Being new to this I don't know that I can help you much with your question, but the owner of the '76 we're looking to buy said we need a 7-pin connection, and that's what comes with the Tundra tow package. The tow package supposedly has a converter for 4-pin if that's what you need.

-Jamie
Old 02-08-2005, 07:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Toyota Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by juel
I seem to be having trouble opening a new thread on the forum, so this looks like a good place to ask a Toyota question. I have a new Toyota Tundra tow vehicle for my 24ft Argosy. What trailer brake is best? Do I need a sway bar? The truck came with a towing package. Do I need a special connector on the Argosy? There are no AS dealers in this area. Who should I take the truck to for this work? Judy
Hi Juel.. We're finally answering you.. haven't been on the forum for a few days!
Come on to Chat tonight and say howdy!

You can go to any good camper dealer, or even a utility trailer dealer. You need a brake controller that goes under the dash, it has a dial that controls the amount of braking on the trailer.. READ DIRECTIONS.. and that's all connected to the Universal 7 point camper plug (round plug) that is probably not the same as your tow package.

The one on your truck will need to be removed and an adapter put on.
A simple friction sway controla bar has been perfect for us.. NOT the big double bars. This will require a secondary small round ball hitch that goes next to your big one.

We have a 28 foot big girl Ambassador, we haven't towed an Argosy.

Hope to see you around!
Old 02-08-2005, 07:40 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
Thanks to advice here and from others, we've decided to look for a Tundra. Took one for a test drive over the weekend and looked at a Limited model yesterday. Very nice!! (Nice big price too! ) The increased horsepower in the '05 model makes it look even better for towing. And the crew cab has lots of room for our family.

I have a similar question about hitch and sway bars. What would you all recommend for us, with the Tundra pulling a 1976 Safari?

Judy - Being new to this I don't know that I can help you much with your question, but the owner of the '76 we're looking to buy said we need a 7-pin connection, and that's what comes with the Tundra tow package. The tow package supposedly has a converter for 4-pin if that's what you need.

-Jamie
Our 2002 Tundra did NOT come with a 7 pin, but the brake control is PART of that 7 pin. Unless yours came w/ brake control you should add it.

The center pin is the one that charges the battery.
Then you have one for each turn signal, and brake, and running lights.
And one of th epins is for brake control.
One thing of importance.. look in your TRAILER owner's manual for the DIAGRAM of how to hook up!

If you don't have the owner's manual, there are several scanned into this site.

Or contact someone who has the same trailer unit, and also the manual. They woudl help. We ALL help each other.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
7-pin connector

Thanks for bearing with me on this. You can probably tell we're totally new to towing.

The brochure for the truck says the tow package includes "Towing Hitch, 7-Pin Trailer Wire Harness, Electronic Trailer, Brake Control Connector". That would mean we don't need a separate brake controller, right? It looks like the Tundra has only been equipped this way since the 2004 model.

The current owner of the trailer can help us with hooking up, we just want to make sure we have the right stuff when we get there.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
If it's anything like American trucks, it means there's a connector under the dash that you plug a vehicle-unique pigtail into and you connect the appropriate wires from the brake controller pigtail to the appropriate wires on that pigtail. The Ford pigtail was in a plastic bag in the glovebox when we bought ours. I heard that some truck manufacturers sell that pigtail separately.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Okay, it's all starting to make more sense now. I'll start searching to see what brake controller might be best for my situation.

Thanks for your help!