Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2009, 10:51 AM   #21
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Thermostats are cheap, water pumps used to be, but maybe not so much anymore. Head gaskets are not cheap (the gasket is cheap, getting to it is not, and once you have the head off, maybe it'll be time for a valve job). I appreciate your problem and unfortunately we can't usually predict just the right moment to sell a vehicle. Whatever is broken, it has to be fixed either to drive it or to sell it. At some point everyone gets sick of fixing it and either sells it, sends it to the crusher, or like they do where we live, park it somewhere out back alongside all the others and forget it.

If you sell it, you can advertise "new brakes, radiator!" Good luck. Check Edmunds and Kelly Blue Book for what your van is worth.

I gave up on fixing old cars and trucks some years ago because it hurt my body too much and bought new ones. Now I have an Airstream and I'm fixing a new vehicle. I don't understand how that happened.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:27 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Well, want a '94 1 ton Dodge van cheap? Has a new rebuilt transmission!

Just needs a new AC rebuild.. oh.. about $1700 to fix!
Sigh... I know what you mean... where do we draw the line...
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:14 PM   #23

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Marc, I think we're both on the short end of the stick, when I was a kid we considered a 20 year old vehicle to be 'classic', and our vans are both just a few years away from that!

I just looked at new Ford vans on the Ford website - looks like someone beat them with an ugly stick! That grill is the most unattractive thing I've ever seen, and it just looks like it's stuck on the front end of the same van as always. Holy Cow, what were they thinking?!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:03 PM   #24
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Steph, how much can you do with a van? 2 or 4 headlights; ugly or uglier grill, curved or flat windshield, but always is a really a big box.

I'm hoping it's the thermostat and you find a good deal on a new van or truck. I read they're selling certain US brands below cost. That depresses the used vehicle market, but I expect a 14 year old van's value doesn't change much no matter what's happening in the market.

Gene
Old 06-01-2009, 09:12 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
My money is still on a failing water pump. For as easy read, check this out. Autoclinix.com - Ford Econoline 5.0L / 5.8L Water Pump Repair

Cheers,

yakman
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #26

1968 17' Caravel
The word from the mechanic is that the new radiator blew out. Luckily it's under warranty still so the parts and labor are covered. Once they get it replaced they'll check to make sure there wasn't any other damage.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:13 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I don't know where it's at, but I know its the thermostat...we were going thru California, and started loosing power to the vehicle...we thought the radiater had a leak and were using the CB to get truckers to drop off water...we took it out and it worked fine after that.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Yup! How much lipstick can a pig get? My '94 Dodge looks the same as the 70's Tradesman, with a different grille! The Sprinter is really the only new game in town... if it came in a lower height, I'd buy one (it's even higher in the lowtop version than my 1 ton!! I barely fit in parking garages as it is...).

I dunno - I think I can replace the section of piping that needs to be replaced on the AC myself.. so I might hang on a bit more... still running!

Can't believe the radiator blew out! Where was that one made?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #29
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
While they work on it, it makes sense to replace the thermostat at the same time.

Gene
Old 06-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #30

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Yup! How much lipstick can a pig get? My '94 Dodge looks the same as the 70's Tradesman, with a different grille! The Sprinter is really the only new game in town... if it came in a lower height, I'd buy one (it's even higher in the lowtop version than my 1 ton!! I barely fit in parking garages as it is...).

I dunno - I think I can replace the section of piping that needs to be replaced on the AC myself.. so I might hang on a bit more... still running!

Can't believe the radiator blew out! Where was that one made?
Marc
I'm sure it was maid in asia or something, seems like all the generic parts are. I'll have to ask them.

I know what you mean about being too tall. We were going to buy a rack for the top and get a kayak, then we spent a weekend in downtown Seattle where we couldn't fit into any of the parking garages we went to, and finally ended up driving up to Northgate just to find a place to have dinner where we could park the beast!

I'll ask them about the thermostat when I talk to them today. They are a really good shop, so I trust they'll do what needs to be done.