Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2016, 07:59 PM   #41
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Need advice on tow hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
There are tens of thousands of travel trailers out there. A tiny percentage of them are towed with a VPP hitch. Yet, everyone more or less seems to get where they are going safely.

There is no arguing that they are brilliantly designed and afford their owners a very comfortable, stress free towing experience.

However, the suggestion that non-VPP operators are less safe is, well, a reach at best.

If there was hard evidence that VPP hitches were markedly safer, the insurance companies would either mandate their use or, at the least, give a significant discount to those who use them. I think the states might weigh in as well, not to mention the Feds.

If I had payload and money to burn, I'd order one up tomorrow. But, I don't.

You assume the states and insurance companies care. They don't. No profit seeking entity involved to lobby change. And "discovering" accident cause WILL come down to operator error in any event. Reducing untoward combined rig movement is the name of the game. Keeps the driver from screwing up.

The payload equation doesn't change anything. Non starter.

As to money, well, a new truck will lose far more in depreciation in a year than what one of these hitches cost. Another non starter. (Could have bought used).

As to what they provide it's certainly too bad for most that they're only sold on it after buying. Which is why a money back guarantee. And is almost never used.

Don't believe you understand the difference until you try it. Have some humility. Also known as open mindedness.

You want less, be my guest. But don't tell someone else asking about hitches it isn't of benefit. The cost is cheap, then.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:07 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
If I had payload and money to burn, I'd order one up tomorrow. But, I don't.
The money is significant but a one-time purchase and worth it to us as we tow cross-country a lot. We were pushed around by crosswind and semi's with our Equal-I-zer and the inept Andersen was scary at times. The ProPride is effortless.

I'm not sure why, but the ProPride does not add any more weight to our truck's payload than the Equal-I-Zer did as best I can see. Recent weighings with the ProPride and loaded Airstream 25RB and similar loads in the truck bed add about 800 lbs, more/less. Last time our Ram's front axle loaded heavier than the rear with weight distribution applied, so we backed off the w.d. a bit. 50/50 gives us best handling.

I think it may be because the ProPride hitch head puts the trailer about a foot more behind the truck's receiver than a conventional hitch, effective creating a longer lever and thereby lightening the load on the truck's receiver. Honestly I don't know and really don't care, the effective loading on the truck is what matters. A terrific bonus of the extra length is that we can now lower our truck's tailgate with the the Airstream hitched up.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:27 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Well, I've only had twenty five years of experience towing trailers, and 20 years experience driving a 45k lbs school bus in the PNW weather systems, and for some reason I still quite like my Blue OX. I have also had the white knuckle fun of emergency avoidance maneuver at speed while towing the AS. The blue performed flawlessly, even if my underwear didn't.

That said, if I won the lotto tomorrow I'd upgrade my tow rig, and take a hard look at pro pride, but since that is unlikely to happen, I'll be content with what I have.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:42 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I have come to the conclusion that: if one doesn't have an Airstream with Michelin tires, 3p or haha hitch pulled with a 3/4 ton 4wd and either diesel or Eco you ain't. Also, does having all this give one a false sense of security?
We all do the best we can with what we got; some just have more.
mike
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:22 PM   #45
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
-- snip --I'm not sure why, but the ProPride does not add any more weight to our truck's payload than the Equal-I-Zer did -- snip --.
The weight is being transferred to the rear axle of the trailer. Your scale weights should validate that fact. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:27 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Ferndale , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
I have come to the conclusion that: if one doesn't have an Airstream with Michelin tires, 3p or haha hitch pulled with a 3/4 ton 4wd and either diesel or Eco you ain't. Also, does having all this give one a false sense of security?
We all do the best we can with what we got; some just have more.
mike
Well said! (You forgot Centramatic wheel balancers BTW). I think a lot of people on the forum have too much time on their hands and are a little OCD about the whole Airstream thing. Looking at the old pictures of Caravans in Africa etc being pulled by family station wagons and sedans it makes you think what we have to pull with is way overkill!
Riverdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:10 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We got caught in a late spring storm near Henerys Lake , after turning onto 287 we had a 35-40 mile side wind plus we were driving on ice and snow, no place on this skinny road to pull off, 4 wheel drive going up and 2 wheel going down, 45mph, when we arrived at Ennis we parked between 2 buildings ,trying to hide from the wind ,it was now17 degrees and the as was covered in ice, the 2000 Honda run all night...we use the Reese straight line, duel cam, no problems....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

I belong to several RV forums, but this is the only one where a dedicated group of people pitch the $2000 hitches with such partisan fervor.

According to them, it takes the $2000 hitch to keep you safe. And if you don't use one, you're either a fool or knowingly guilty of endangering everybody on the road by using a "lesser" hitch.

It's almost a religion with them.

And it's really funny that it occurs on the forum for Airstream, the Best Towing Trailer on the Planet.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:46 AM   #49
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
...And it's really funny that it occurs on the forum for Airstream, the Best Towing Trailer on the Planet.
I'm happy that you also see the irony. You'd expect "The Best Towing Trailer on the Planet" to be rock solid even with no WDH and sway control, not some dangerously unstable rig ready to crash, unless you are using the most complex/expensive hitch on the market.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:00 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

Yep.

If one were to compare the comments from other forums with those on this one, one could logically assume that Airstream must be the Worse Towing Trailer on the Planet, because it's Airstream owners who seem to be making such claims that it takes a $2000 hitch to be safe and sound.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Right.

FYI, we rented this camper 2 summers ago. As you can see its a very high profile box trailer (not aerodynamic), has lots of ground clearance (high center of gravity), and has solid axles (no independent suspension). The hitch was two 600# Reese round bars with no friction sway control (I asked the rental shop about getting one and they said friction bars are not effective). The shank is also very long (the coupler is not close to the rear bumper at all). According to some members, this is the wrong type of trailer, wrong type of hitch, and wrong type of shank when it comes to stability. Well, we towed this camper all over the mid Atlantic for a week. Uphill, downhill, semis passing, windy days, it was rock solid. I had to force myself to keep both hands on the steering wheel, as I could easily get by with 2 fingers on the wheel.

Maybe the role of trailer attributes (aerodynamic shape, low center of gravity, and independent suspension) in trailer stability is being exaggerated by some. Maybe the same can be said for hitch type or shank length.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GL350_NCountry.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	276220  
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:51 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
We like the equalizer for the adjustability (been on four different trailers, now) of differing loads and vehicles ... ask the dealer what alternate choices he might offer to you. Whatever you decide as a hitch - make sure that it is installed / adjusted properly.

There is no such thing as a free lunch !
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #53
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostam View Post
Right.

FYI, we rented this camper 2 summers ago. As you can see its a very high profile box trailer (not aerodynamic), has lots of ground clearance (high center of gravity), and has solid axles (no independent suspension). The hitch was two 600# Reese round bars with no friction sway control (I asked the rental shop about getting one and they said friction bars are not effective). The shank is also very long (the coupler is not close to the rear bumper at all). According to some members, this is the wrong type of trailer, wrong type of hitch, and wrong type of shank when it comes to stability. Well, we towed this camper all over the mid Atlantic for a week. Uphill, downhill, semis passing, windy days, it was rock solid. I had to force myself to keep both hands on the steering wheel, as I could easily get by with 2 fingers on the wheel.

Maybe the role of trailer attributes (aerodynamic shape, low center of gravity, and independent suspension) in trailer stability is being exaggerated by some. Maybe the same can be said for hitch type or shank length.

The TV makes a big difference. Fully independent suspension and German electronic gizmos galore.

The basics of a travel trailer is also floorplan. Where weight is situated. Slide out on that TT?

Were you running over 65-mph passing all the trucks? That experiment with an AS will show its superiority to the one pictured and to your Avion or my Silver Streak.

Suggest you switch to a pickup truck. A one ton 4WD for some perspective. And a typical low perf WD hitch not set correctly.

Speaking of which, ever post your three pass scale tickets for your present rig? How well does WD work with that TV?

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:31 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Just a reminder,

"I need your feedback on how well these Blue Ox work. Please let me know what you think. "

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:50 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Just a reminder,

"I need your feedback on how well these Blue Ox work. Please let me know what you think. "
Exactly, and also from the op,

"I personally, like to spent a few more bucks on a Propride 3P system."

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:34 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Blue ox works fine for me...

We had Reese on our first 2006, 25' AS, which worked fine. We had an Equalizer on our second 2008 25' AS which broke and was replaced by a BlueOx SwayPro. We liked that set up and when we bought our 2014 25' Flying Cloud, front bed, we got another BlueOx SwayPro. We have put over 20K miles on this unit over past couple years with no issues, pulling with our F150 EB. Believe it saved our lives last year when we had to swerve at 65 mph to miss an out of control sports car trying to pass. Hitch straightened us right out and kept us in straight line. Buy the hitch that makes you feel the best...after all, your the one who needs to be satisfied.
gypsydad is online now   Reply With Quote