Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2009, 04:18 AM   #61
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
I sure appreciate all the positive feedback. It is important to me to understand how folks feel that actually pull a trailer. Nothing beets experience. Thanks, Airperson
Airperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #62
Marshalls Corner Shop

1970 23' Safari
Clarkston , Michigan
A follow up on the Dodge Ram (4x4 20 inch wheels 5.7l hemi auto 3.90 gear) with AC running as it's hot. Went from Detroit, MI to Charlottesville, VA and back (no trailer but lots of junk in the truck) and averaged 17.34 mpg. On the highway between 65 and 70mph I got 18.5 mpg and around town it was 16 mpg. That's not estimated or what the computer says, it's actual.
Hope this helps someone.
Dean
Marshall's Corner Shop
Clarkston, Mi
drm101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:56 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Crosby , Texas
Diesel, Diesel, Diesel, and if you can stay away from the 08 and 09 to much junk has been added to the engines. The 08 and 09 have up the power and lowered the fule milage. There are so many government restriction on the newer trucks that you can not do very much to inprove the proformance. All diesels do not sound like Dodges, loud! My chevy is very quit to a Dodge and Fords. The Duramax and Allison transmission is wounderful package. The Allison transmission just makes driving so easy. I have read some of the messages and I know G Stephens and he is telling the truth. He has been at this a lot longer than I have and I put alot of faith in what he has to say. Diesel is the way to go. Pick a brand that you can got serviced because they all will need servicing sometime and go. Happy Trails to You and Yours
dghaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Diesel engines in light duty trucks are high maintenece. When you go to a dealer, they always sell you on "theyll run for ever, that why semi's have them" well its a whole different animal. If you put a semi engine in a pick it would tear the truck up. But people like the novelty of owning a diesel.

Deisel's dont scream, ( unless it the old 92 detroit) They mash! hence the term "mash the motor".

Diesel engines have many operating rpm's. The reason turbo charged engines historically have 3:55 or 3:73 gears isnt because of low rpm torque, as previously stated, but, a turbo engine builds manifold pressure. this is what drives a diesel engine, pump timing is also crucial. If the engine RPM is to high, manifold presure wont build to optimal pressure, and the engine will never acheive its optimum torque range.

If you have a deisel engine. you should have a pyrometer, and manifold pressure guage. Both are crucial as well. Just because your engine pulls a hill doesnt meen your not doing damage to it. To high of turbo temp ( pyrometer) will hurt the turbo. That is why when you climb a hill, what gear you are in is decided by turbo temp, and manifold preasure. if it gets to high, drop a gear if manifold pressure drops raise a gear, to load the engine. Its not about how fast you get to the top. and DOnt forget to let those Turbo"s cool at the rest stops! before shutting off the engine.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:23 PM   #65
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
In 2004 I was looking to replace an Expedition.
I cooked up a spreadsheet to find the breakeven point of gas vs diesel in a variety of combinations (1/2 ton crew cab gas, 3/4 ton gas, 3/4 diesel).

I don't remember the exact numbers I used, but I calculated it based on an average fuel price of $4/gallon (it was $2.50 at the time - by then February of 05), and I figured it might go to $7 over the course of 7 years, so I used $4 as an overall average).
Here's something of what I recall:
Towing our then 21' square box our our now 31' tube, we got/get between 10/12mpg. I figured 15-17 with a diesel.
Empty I figured 14-15 vs 20-22 (Dad gets 24 with his Dodge pretty regularly).

I was looking for late-model used, and recall using about a $7000 premium for a used diesel. Most of that comes back on re-sale, but not all, and there is the cost associated with the lost value of money (either in interest payments for a loan or in lost income from spent capital). I also calculated some of the extra maintenance expenses.

I recall the break-even came at around 150,000 miles - and I was figuring on owning the truck about 7-8 years and putting something between 7000 and 10000 miles per year on it.

I bought a gas 1500HD truck. It was a business decision over an emotional one.

Since then we've figured out how to arrange things so we don't put terribly many miles on it in a year (more like 5k) so gas was by far the better choice for us. When the 1/2 ton diesels hit the market in the next couple of years I'll be at my 7-8 years of ownership and might have to consider them.

While I'm happy enough with the Chevy, Dad's on his second diesel Ram (300k on the first one, and 120k on #2 so far) and these have worked out very well indeed for him.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:31 PM   #66
1 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Light duty truck with a diesel? I don't know of one, As for service my 2001 250HD Chevy/Duramax/Alison, has only had normal service and no replacement parts except for a battery replacement after 4 years, I'm just coming up for 140,000 trouble free miles, most of which towing a 30' Airstream classic.
bmk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:17 PM   #67
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmk01 View Post
Light duty truck with a diesel? I don't know of one, As for service my 2001 250HD Chevy/Duramax/Alison, has only had normal service and no replacement parts except for a battery replacement after 4 years, I'm just coming up for 140,000 trouble free miles, most of which towing a 30' Airstream classic.
You have one 1 ton and under is considered light duty. then over 1 ton but not including 1 ton is considered medium duty. Then you move to the big boys. No kids allowed! they are class 8 or heavy duty.
The names H/D and Superduty are sales gimmicks for people that dont know. Now we all know

also the break even point for gas to diesel in a pick up is somewhere around 17000 miles a year, factoring in aditional stuff like oil & fuel filters, P/H testing of antifreeze and additives, to adjust it (PH) and anti gelling additive, not to mention electricity for plugging them in. those block heaters draw some juice. Air filters arent cheap, maybe get a K/N and just clean it.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #68
1 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Light vs HD

You can have to much truck to do the job in hand, most people do not need 1 Ton and above.

Bryon.
bmk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:09 PM   #69
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Thanks, I am trying to work through and figure out which way to go. The market is such that it seems it doesn’t pay to go pre owned. Airperson
Airperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #70
Marshalls Corner Shop

1970 23' Safari
Clarkston , Michigan
There are some good deals on new trucks. If you can find an '08 on the lot that fits your needs it most certainly will be a bargain. My '08 Ram Hemi 4X4 Auto with tow package nicely equipped was $27,200 out the door including taxes. Not bad. You may find one even cheaper now. Also there's a website, www.fueleconomy.gov where you can compare fuel economy on all the new trucks.
Regards,
Dean
drm101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #71
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up G.M. People here...

The best AS investments we've made.

06 3/4 Burb with Auto-ride, computer controlled shocks w/out auto leveling.

Hensley

Honda 2000 genset.

Onboard Tire & Wheel Balance Systems, Tire Rotation, Tire Balance, Tire Balancing - Centramatic