Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
In commenting on whether or not one should rehab an older TV, I never see the cost of sales tax and registration fees plus higher insurance costs that come with a newer TV.

Something to think about.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Reducing the pressure in the airbags will make for a better ride. Most manufacturers recommend carrying a minimum pressure (10 psi) in the bags. At 10 psi, you won't even know they are on the truck.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #23

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
What kind of hitch are you folks running on your Caravans?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
If you've had the van quite a while and know it, I wouldn't worry too much about miles.

For pulling a small trailer like your's, just about any gear ratio will do. I understand about wanting a limited slip. I think you have a good chance of finding what you want in a salvage yard. I'm not a professional mechanic, but I think the F-150 pickups probably have the same differential.

As to the air suspension – you don't make it clear if the previous owner removed the conventional springs and replaced them with an actual air suspension, or if you are referring to an air-lift overload. I have the latter on my Dodge pickup. As described previously, when not loaded I just let some air out and they don't affect the ride at all (which on mine is pretty stiff, being an HD ¾ ton diesel). I'm including a photo of mine.

As noted before, sales tax, property tax, higher license fees, greater insurance costs and, if financed, the costs of borrowing, all need to be weighed. Included in my evaluation would be an assessment of how much I actually have the vehicle in use. If one only uses it for a few thousand miles per year it might not make sense to get a newer unit.
Of course, there is nothing wrong with saying, I'm tired of the old and want something newer, better, prettier, etc. That's what keeps the automotive industry humming!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Suspension with Air Bag, Passenger Side.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	201914  
Old 12-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
If I were getting ready to head out on an extended journey with a vehicle like your van, I would consider replacing some of the items that might typically give trouble on aged, high mileage engines. Things like a water pump, alternator, perhaps starter. I would also ask a "good" transmission mechanic to give the trans a look over. If the front end has not been rebuilt, it very likely needs some work. Tie rod ends, ball joints, bushings, etc, should be looked over. I would also go through the rear suspension carefully ( bushings, etc ). As was mentioned, shocks all around. A complete brake job, as in either replacing or rebuilding calipers, and master cyl, and of course that would also net a total fluid flush.
All of that sounds like a fair bit of cash, but again as mentioned, when buying a new or newer vehicle, one has to look at the sales tax, the increased personal tax and higher insurance.
All of this assumes the van is basically solid, with no or minimal rust, etc. If there is significant underbody rusting, then a thorough inspection of frame members and suspension attachment points would be prudent.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
My hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
What kind of hitch are you folks running on your Caravans
This is the hitch I have on my Caravan. I installed it myself. It was not a hard job.

Trailer Hitch by Hidden Hitch for 2009 Grand Caravan - 87451

Ace in PA
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #27

1968 17' Caravel
Sorry, to clarify I meant which WD hitch. Right now our van tows with just the ball and a friction sway control, but I will want to add WD and anti-sway components for any new vehicle.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Quote:
Sorry, to clarify I meant which WD hitch. Right now our van tows with just the ball and a friction sway control, but I will want to add WD and anti-sway components for any new vehicle.
I too am not using a WD bars. I have upgraded my tires to Yokohama Avid Envigor XL 225/55R16. As suggested by Andy @ CanAm. The new tires have improved the van's handling. But I have not towed with the new tires yet. My AS has been put to bed for the winter.

WD INFO

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ml#post1128283

Ace in PA
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Unless you are very handy and find a suitable rear end in an auto salvage yard, replacing the rear end in a 19 year old van does not seem to be a very good idea.
My vote for a replacement vehicle is a full size V8 Ford or Mercury, 2005 or so. Many were owned by older drivers and have low miles. They are cheap and much more comfortable than your present vehicle.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #30
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
2007 swb caravan

The weight distributing hitch that I use is a Reese 350 mini-lite. It uses friction pads on top of the A-frame to control sway and can be adjusted to tip 100 to 350 pounds back onto the front axle. The whole thing weighs only 35 pounds and doesn't squeak, moan, creak, or pop. It doesn't do anything weird when backing up, and really does well with ruts, dips, rock hopping and curb jumping. I do a bit of off-roading in my travels and it's never troublesome. It mounts close to the back bumper, and if I open the lift gate, I can watch the ball placement into the trailer coupler from the driver seat. I have mine set to put 300 pounds on the front axle. Its simple design makes hitching up and setting load-bars a two minute one-man job, and that's with a hand crank. I moved my propane mount back a bit to make it fit correctly, but Reese sells a pair of tabs to solve that issue bolt-on style.

Two minutes is not an exaggeration. Drop and latch coupler onto ball, wind jack like mad to full extension. Position load-bars, unwind jack like mad to preferred level of retraction. Done. It has a clean and neat, no-chains/clamps appearance. It only fits 2” couplers.

It's a marvelous little contraption, costs $350, and really does its dual function job of sway control and weight transfer. Works great for little trailers with up to 350 pound tongue weights. My tongue weight is 400 pounds. This works well for the 58%/42% nose heavy Caravan. Trailer spare tire and gear over/ahead of rear axle in van. Great handling, smooth and quiet ride.
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #31

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
If I were getting ready to head out on an extended journey with a vehicle like your van, I would consider replacing some of the items that might typically give trouble on aged, high mileage engines. Things like a water pump, alternator, perhaps starter. I would also ask a "good" transmission mechanic to give the trans a look over. If the front end has not been rebuilt, it very likely needs some work. Tie rod ends, ball joints, bushings, etc, should be looked over. I would also go through the rear suspension carefully ( bushings, etc ). As was mentioned, shocks all around. A complete brake job, as in either replacing or rebuilding calipers, and master cyl, and of course that would also net a total fluid flush.
All of this assumes the van is basically solid, with no or minimal rust, etc. If there is significant underbody rusting, then a thorough inspection of frame members and suspension attachment points would be prudent.
Thanks, that seems like a good list.

The van is solid, no rust, and has been well maintained except the paint is oxidized, but it's not peeling or anything. Over the years we have rebuilt the cooling system (radiator, hoses), it has fairly new brakes, things have been kept after as we needed to, regular oil changes and transmission services. It drives and shifts good. It has a small oil leak (as has pretty much every Ford I've ever owned). It needs new tires, which made us stop and pause, because we are searching for a car to replace my husband's everyday car which has major engine problems, and thought we could get an all-in-one solution, so we wanted to check that out before we went and dropped $500 on new tires. But right now, as ridiculous as it seems to drop more money into a 20 year old car, it is looking like a pretty good option.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Thanks, that seems like a good list.

The van is solid, no rust, and has been well maintained except the paint is oxidized, but it's not peeling or anything. Over the years we have rebuilt the cooling system (radiator, hoses), it has fairly new brakes, things have been kept after as we needed to, regular oil changes and transmission services. It drives and shifts good. It has a small oil leak (as has pretty much every Ford I've ever owned). It needs new tires, which made us stop and pause, because we are searching for a car to replace my husband's everyday car which has major engine problems, and thought we could get an all-in-one solution, so we wanted to check that out before we went and dropped $500 on new tires. But right now, as ridiculous as it seems to drop more money into a 20 year old car, it is looking like a pretty good option.
In my mind, the thing about spending money on an older vehicle like this is you need to realize, to make it work from a money standpoint, you have to accept the fact you are making a time commitment to the vehicle. In other words, it's very possible that you are putting more money into it than is is "worth" from a market standpoint, so you have to figure you will need to get your worth out of it by keeping it long enough to justify the money spent on repairs and refurbishing.
At least at this point in the process, you can say to yourself, most of the depreciation is done, the personal tax is likely very inexpensive, and it's old enough you can just carry liability insurance, so you save premium dollars.

There are all kinds of ways to justify buying a new or late model car, but the bottom line is it's almost always cheaper to keep repairing the old one until it's finally down to just being a constant problem child. Even then it's likely still cheaper to keer her.....but at some point the frustration level gets to us all.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It's still cheaper to keep 'er!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:34 PM   #34

1968 17' Caravel
We drove a Ford Flex last night and really liked it. I think it will be the perfect tow vehicle, in about 3 years when we can afford to buy one with cash

Old 12-19-2013, 05:39 AM   #35
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
IIRC from my time with Ford, you can keep the rear axle assembly, and simply change ring and pinion gears to something better suited to towing. You can also add limited slip at the same time. Just remember to use the limited slip additive, or it will shudder and groan every time you make a turn.