Old 12-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Stef... my buddy's bh just bought a Ford Edge as a daily driver. With the Edge she is replacing her low mileage 2002 Mustang V8 convertible.

The Mustang is now up for sale!

Old 12-13-2013, 08:45 PM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
LOL - don't go tempting me with Mustangs, I have enough problems

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
LOL, sorry Stef, I know your passion and couldn't resist.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #18
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Probably if you upgrade to a limited slip diff, that would be the time to lower the gear ratio. It wouldn't cost much, if any, more.
New shocks would run about $150 for four good ones, a reman engine about $1500, and rebuilding the transmission would be about the same. Definitely less than a new tow vehicle.
Of course, if you really want a new truck, our F250 was $16k, with 50,000 miles on it. It was four years old at the time.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
A great tow rig for a Caravel

A great tow rig for a Caravel is a newer Grand Caravan. I am using a 09 that has over a 100k on it. I got the van over a year ago for 6k. I towed with full size vans for years. The Caravan rides much better and is a joy to drive. I've got a much as 17.5 mpg towing and 24 mpg not towing. The stow and go seats in my van are great. I can put my little Honda SL70 in the van still have seating for four. I have towed my Caravel over 8k last year without WD. I have to do a little downshifting on hill pulls. Just my 2.5 cents

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...van-89448.html

Ace in PA
Old 12-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #20
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Dodge caravan

I too am pleased with Dodge Caravan.

2007 Dodge Caravan + 1968 Globe Trotter = 6900 combined CAT scale pounds ready to travel.

To which I have added...

Reese mini-lite WDH, Monroe coil/over shocks, factory rear swaybar, Six Michelin LTX M+S.

2007 is the last year of short caravan. I specifically chose short wheelbase non-”grand” caravan because it has 11 inches less rear overhang than the longer “Grand”. It will U-Turn in a city street, parallel parks easily, and doesn't have a lumbering van feel unhitched around town. When Hitched up, it handles even better than unhitched.

With trailer in tow, it will take a semi-truck bow wave on-coming or over-taking with no hands on the wheel.

Sometimes on winding Great Lakes coastal roads, I forget that I'm towing and think I'm driving my old 1LE IROC Camaro.

The big back window and seat height allow for a spectacular rear view through the trailer. With the 68 GT, I don't need auxiliary side mirrors.

When towing, if I go 70mph I get 11mpg. If I keep it under 50mph I get 16mpg.

Unhitched it's 19 in town, 25 on highway.

I bought in year 2000 from Shady and Shakey Auto Sale near the corner of Telegraph and Eight Mile in Detroit. With 40,000 mi. 3 years old, off lease from Oklahoma. $7,000. So far, added 25,000mi with Zero mechanical issues.

This set-up is very comfortable and versatile.

Happy Hunting...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2500.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	201753  
Old 12-17-2013, 08:52 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
In commenting on whether or not one should rehab an older TV, I never see the cost of sales tax and registration fees plus higher insurance costs that come with a newer TV.

Something to think about.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Reducing the pressure in the airbags will make for a better ride. Most manufacturers recommend carrying a minimum pressure (10 psi) in the bags. At 10 psi, you won't even know they are on the truck.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #23

1968 17' Caravel
What kind of hitch are you folks running on your Caravans?

Old 12-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
If you've had the van quite a while and know it, I wouldn't worry too much about miles.

For pulling a small trailer like your's, just about any gear ratio will do. I understand about wanting a limited slip. I think you have a good chance of finding what you want in a salvage yard. I'm not a professional mechanic, but I think the F-150 pickups probably have the same differential.

As to the air suspension – you don't make it clear if the previous owner removed the conventional springs and replaced them with an actual air suspension, or if you are referring to an air-lift overload. I have the latter on my Dodge pickup. As described previously, when not loaded I just let some air out and they don't affect the ride at all (which on mine is pretty stiff, being an HD ¾ ton diesel). I'm including a photo of mine.

As noted before, sales tax, property tax, higher license fees, greater insurance costs and, if financed, the costs of borrowing, all need to be weighed. Included in my evaluation would be an assessment of how much I actually have the vehicle in use. If one only uses it for a few thousand miles per year it might not make sense to get a newer unit.
Of course, there is nothing wrong with saying, I'm tired of the old and want something newer, better, prettier, etc. That's what keeps the automotive industry humming!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Suspension with Air Bag, Passenger Side.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	201914  
Old 12-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
If I were getting ready to head out on an extended journey with a vehicle like your van, I would consider replacing some of the items that might typically give trouble on aged, high mileage engines. Things like a water pump, alternator, perhaps starter. I would also ask a "good" transmission mechanic to give the trans a look over. If the front end has not been rebuilt, it very likely needs some work. Tie rod ends, ball joints, bushings, etc, should be looked over. I would also go through the rear suspension carefully ( bushings, etc ). As was mentioned, shocks all around. A complete brake job, as in either replacing or rebuilding calipers, and master cyl, and of course that would also net a total fluid flush.
All of that sounds like a fair bit of cash, but again as mentioned, when buying a new or newer vehicle, one has to look at the sales tax, the increased personal tax and higher insurance.
All of this assumes the van is basically solid, with no or minimal rust, etc. If there is significant underbody rusting, then a thorough inspection of frame members and suspension attachment points would be prudent.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
My hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
What kind of hitch are you folks running on your Caravans
This is the hitch I have on my Caravan. I installed it myself. It was not a hard job.

Trailer Hitch by Hidden Hitch for 2009 Grand Caravan - 87451

Ace in PA
Old 12-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #27

1968 17' Caravel
Sorry, to clarify I meant which WD hitch. Right now our van tows with just the ball and a friction sway control, but I will want to add WD and anti-sway components for any new vehicle.

Old 12-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Sorry, to clarify I meant which WD hitch. Right now our van tows with just the ball and a friction sway control, but I will want to add WD and anti-sway components for any new vehicle.
I too am not using a WD bars. I have upgraded my tires to Yokohama Avid Envigor XL 225/55R16. As suggested by Andy @ CanAm. The new tires have improved the van's handling. But I have not towed with the new tires yet. My AS has been put to bed for the winter.

WD INFO

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ml#post1128283

Ace in PA