Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I'm gonna guess none of you has used a car. Quite a different, and better, experience.

The physics of the thing doesn't lie.

A truck is fine if one needs a truck. I'd call that IRS deductible business miles. Otherwise one hardly needs it, just wants it.

One handicaps an AS by using a truck.

The point is that a truck is not the default choice. Ignorance only makes it seem so.
Slowmover, You continue to be the proponent of towing with a car, yet you use a 3/4 ton Diesel truck, unless you have recently changed.

Additionally, please show me a "car" with a 11,500lb towing capacity (the gross weight of my trailer), and a 1650lb weight carrying capacity (actual load we regularly carry).
Old 04-28-2015, 12:39 PM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Need a Tow Vehicle for a 27FB Flying Cloud

SteveH you can show yourself. What percentage of TW remained on your truck with 100% FALR?

And how did it look with 115%. Easier to do with a car. Good luck with believing "ratings" meant to push folks to a high profit pickup.

And how accurate is that TW? What percent increase over base? I've already seen more than one example here of scale tickets being misread (not that you did, but you'll admit the TW is higher than expected).

One has to be more careful with with high COG vehicles when it comes to WDH.

Where are those scale tickets ? Including the wheel by wheel ones.

See axle load limits for the car envisioned. No different than what we did with a heavier than an AS Silver Streak decades ago. It'll distribute.

And how is it some of you all can't distinguish an abstract argument from what isn't. "What is best" isn't the same as what one does, by necessity. A truck is a poor default choice for this trailer type. One gives up important margins of safety by doing so. Solo and towing.

Folks like to rationalize that they are immune from statistics of injury, death and the rest in choosing a pickup. Good luck with that. Only takes once.

And until one has tried a better combination rig, don't let ignorance cloud opinion.

I'm not a vacationer. If I were I sure wouldn't use a truck. Since I needed a truck for business some years ago, it worked well for me to keep it. 205k and $300 in repairs. 21-mpg average all miles. But I don't drive solo much more than 5-6k miles/year, now. And the truck has more than 1,100-lbs of tools and gear needed to maintain and repair both vehicles. An additional few hundred for work related gear and supplies. I'm no longer a property owner. The back of the truck is like my garage. So, once I sell the older SS and can focus exclusively on the newer one that load will whittle down. How far down is years away at present.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:43 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Towed our 28ft International with a 2010 F150 5.4 Supercrew and it pulled ok power wise but I was uncomfortable with the handling and braking.Not enough payload capacity we were maxed out.
Traded for a New 2012 F350 Supercrew 6.7 turbo diesel and there was a huge difference in its towing characteristics.Traded after 39,900 miles for a New 2015 F350 Platinum Supercrew and this truck is unbelievably quiet,rides good,tows like a freight train and stops quickly.I cant imagine a better tow vehicle for our use.Now I dont worry about taking gear with me for adventures as I know this truck can handle it.The changes to the 2015 are a great addition to our towing comfort.

We wont ever go back to a 1/2 ton for towing now that I have had them both!
Safe travels...........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1258.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	456.8 KB
ID:	237303   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0268.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	234.1 KB
ID:	237304  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1823.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	384.9 KB
ID:	237305  
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:08 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Kansas , Topeka
Butch Dowse

We use a F250 single rear axle 6.7 turbo diesel to pull our 2010 27FB.
Great team for us. Flatland or 11,000 plus elevation, no snivels from the 250. Absolutely way too expensive till you are in a tight curve and the TV makes the AS behave and stay to the rear where it belongs. Then you think to yourself, smart investment!

We started with a 2009 23' Flying Cloud and a half ton Chevy which was not enough truck and the trailer could bully it. We traded up to s 3/4 ton for size, weight and power. Went with Ford because it was built without taxpayer dollars.
Bet of luck with the 27FB you will love it and wish you'd done it years ago.
BDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There are no more V8 rear wheel drive full size cars.
I can't imagine towing with my Toyota Avalon.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:19 PM   #26
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Your mission and lifestyle will determine your tow vehicle. This is the same logic I apply to the "Do I need 4 wheel drive" debate.

Arguing over whats the best is irrelevant if the best is a sh//ty match to your lifestyle and needs.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:17 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Your mission and lifestyle will determine your tow vehicle. This is the same logic I apply to the "Do I need 4 wheel drive" debate.

Arguing over whats the best is irrelevant if the best is a sh//ty match to your lifestyle and needs.
That's a fact.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Howard , Ohio
I tow a 27FB with a Porsche Cayenne Diesel. Plenty of torque, powerful brakes, stiff suspension and low profile tires. A very stable TV. Pulls the 27FB no problem. Set cruise at 65 or 70 and roll. 17 mpg plus when towing at 65 on a mixture of hills and flat. 22 / 28 unhitched (city / highway) if I'm not too "lead foot".

Payload will be the main limitation with this TV and you may want to consider lightening tongue weight some. I tow with a ProPride but I towed for a while with an Eaz-Lift and 2 friction sway control units which is the setup Can-Am RV recommends for this combination.

The VW Touareg is the sister vehicle and also very capable - lots of folks on here towing with it.

Selection of a vehicle is a very personal choice especially when it will not be a dedicated TV. You will need to decide what importance to give towing prowess relative to other factors. If you want a truck, great, go buy a truck, if not there are many non truck vehicles that are very capable TV's.

You will love the 27FB. Plenty of room and a great layout.
Ohiobrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
I agree,, a diesel is the way to go,, but for me I am getting by just fine with our 1500 Ram. For me it all boils down to that extra $8000 TV cost along with the higher over all fuel costs for diesel.

If I were pulling a trailer 200 days a year I would think much different.. But for me, it amounts to several 1200 miles trips a year along with 1/2 dozen 50 mile trips to our local lake.. I can get by just fine with the gasser hemi for the time we spend on the road in true towing mode. Sodbust

20mpg empty, 14 mpg with 27' Overlander.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life!
Sodbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Where you are geographically also influences which tow vehicle you choose. We don't have a Porsche, Volkswagen, Mercedes, BMW, Subaru or Audi dealer here.
Here in the deep south there are way more pickups and SUVs anyway. I have gone many years without a car. I drove a pickup. My wife drove an SUV. Every driveway here has a pickup and an SUV. They far outnumber cars here.
I did consider a Porsche Cayenne as a possible tow vehicle, but where would I get it serviced?

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-28-2015, 06:53 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Rochester , Minnesota
The German made diesels have wonderful torque. Towing our FC 25FB with a 2012 VW Touareg and ProPride hitch was a wonderful set up. However, I did not want to have the hitch reinforced. The hitch weight was a concern. Moved to a 2014 Sierra Denali with 6.2 V8. The 1/2 ton fits our needs for towing and the Touareg makes a fine daily driver. Nice to have two tow vehicles --- one for primary towing the other for short trips if necessary.
glsBigSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:52 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
like many of you, i have used 'what i had' at the time as a tow vehicle. some pretty hairy experiences as a result. the first PU was a half ton and it served well with a light weight pop up trailer and a 5k boat and trailer. but over time, the trailer got larger and heavier and the boat/trailer combo came in at close to 10k. i tried towing with two different Tundra's but neither one of them made me feel comfortable on the road. mushy feeling from the suspension led to 'jacking' over the mildest bumps in the road. rear air bags did not correct any of this and the fuel economy was terrible.

i have also had 4 different 3/4 ton diesel PUs over time and hauled a beautiful camper on those while pulling the boat. but when the AS came into view, i traded off the 1/2 ton Tundra on a 1 ton F350. i was actually shopping for another 3/4 ton but got a killer deal on this truck.

all that said, this 1 ton is the bomb for towing. suspension is perfect, built in controller works very well with the AS, it is super comfortable for long or short days, gets great fuel economy, 13-14 towing, 19-20 running at highway speeds, and it is quieter than our current SUV. this 6.7 diesel engine is the best since the old 7.3 that i had in the past. i upgraded the fuel tank capacity to 50g because out this way, stations can be far and few. right now, anyway, diesel is less per gallon than regular something i have not seen in decades. i also find a PU quite useful for lots of activities and with this crew cab, the back seat can actually accommodate 3 LARGE adults in perfect comfort.

best of all, it is a joy to drive and my partner actually feels comfortable doing long haul trips in this truck, a first i might add. just like shopping for my AS, i also took the time to road test all of the alternatives out there in PU land but dismissed the 1/2 tons as cutting things too close for what we tend to take along with us. make sure you add up the weight you will stuff in the PU box before making a decision. and while having a Porsche as a TV might be fun, there is not way it would accommodate the load we pack for trips.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:54 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
I'm in the boat you're in. Same trailer & looking for a TV. You will find, without exception, that the 1/2 tons feel pretty much like a car or crossover to drive empty and the 3/4 tons, without exception, feel like trucks. I think there are two reasons for this: 3/4 tons sit higher and 3/4 tons weigh at least a 1000 lbs. more than their 1/2 ton brothers. Until Ford starts making their 1/2 ton max payload package, you're not going to find a half ton on the lot with more than 2000 lbs. payload and even that will be tough. Example, I just found an F150 SuperCab, Lariat with the 5 liter V-8. The Ford website says that should cargo at 2020 lbs. But the specific sticker on this truck says 1850, in part because it has the larger (36 gal.) fuel tank. If it was just me and my wife, that would be perfect. But I have a big Golden Retriever and I think it would be cruel to stuff him back there for hours on end. I haven't seen a Chevy crew cab with more than 1600 lbs. if you can find an extremely rare max trailer tow package, that should go up to 1900 lbs. which should work unless you have a couple of kids along with you and your spouse. Remember the cargo capacity ratings assume a full tank of gas and a 175 lb. driver, so when you're totaling the weight of your cargo, don't count yourself unless you're "heavy duty." Regarding the 3/4 tons, I have driven the gas and diesel trucks from Ram and Chevy. The gas Chevy 3/4 ton feels seriously underpowered, even empty. The ride is a little stiff empty, but not objectionable. Rated cargo capacity of the LTZ crew I drove was over 2500 lbs. The Duramax of course feels more than ample, but there's noticeable turbo lag from a stop. The Ram sits even higher than the Chevy. I found the 6.4 liter gas engine with the optional 4:10 rear axle to feel plenty quick, and it was quiet. The Ram seats are good; the Chevy's are better. The Cummins diesel in the Ram is a little more "rumble" than the Duramax but really steps out above 20 mph, even without full boot. My bottom line: using a big diesel to pull a 7600GVR Airstream seems like overkill. If you want the greater relative mass of a 3/4 ton or need its up to 1000 lbs. more cargo capacity, look at the Ram 6.4 or F250 6.2 gas motors. I haven't driven the 5.7 in the Ram 3/4 ton. It would still be more powerful than Chevy's 6 liter gas engine and more torque, too. So it might work. I appreciate that the diesel burns less fuel than the gas motor. But the purchase price is higher, the maintenance is more expensive and, nationally in the U.S. diesel fuel is priced with premium gasoline and the gas engines take regular or mid-grade (with the exception of the hot rod 420 h.p. 6.2 engine in the Chevy 1/2 ton, which requires premium). If you're a little lighter than my crew, some 1/2 tons from Ford, Chevy or even Ram will work. In my case, I am getting a small generator, so I wouldn't consider an SUV where I have to carry it and it's fuel inside. The earlier f150 crew came with a max trailer tow/ max payload package that in Lariat trim would give you a payload of 1730 lbs. This is usually found with the Ecoboost engine. I was about to get that last year, but the seat and my butt were not a happy combination. I'm 6'3" and 220.
Dealers are not interested in special orders, except at list price; and if you're special ordering a 1/2 ton and cutting it close on cargo capacity, you have no way of knowing exactly what your truck's capacity will be until it's delivered. Skid plates, big sun roofs, optional big gas tank,side steps, 20 inch wheels all will eat into cargo capacity by an unknown amount.
In my case, by conducting a national search, I found 3 1/2 ton Silverados and one Sierra with the max trailer tow package. If the cargo capacity is over 1800 lbs., I'll probably buy one mostly because they make nicer daily drivers than the 3/4 ton. If not, I will probably take the Ram 6.4 gas truck.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:36 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Cooled seats are a god send on long trips... Now I am used to it in the expy, I don't like driving my LR3 in the summer...

I know, First world problem..
Old 04-29-2015, 07:30 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Bettendorf , Iowa
We have a 27International Signature and a V8 150 does just fine. Find something you like!
DavidIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:44 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Update: it looks like GM is now making the max trailer tow package, which gives a 2000 lb payload on a crew cab 1500. Available with either V-8 engine. Found a dealer in my area (GMC) that has one coming in. These are nice trucks as daily drivers. With a 1000 lb payload available for me, wife, dog and stuff, this should work well, without getting involved in the massiveness of a 3/4 ton and the cost of a ~400 hp diesel. I have a college buddy with a 35 foot fifth wheel. He tows it with a 1-ton Ram Cummins. That seems appropriate. Using that same setup to tow a 7600 lb GVWR 27-foot Airstream just doesn't. But I could be proved wrong.😜
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 04:50 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The service manager at the local Buick-GMC dealer told me that GM will no longer be offering the 5 year 100,000 mile warranty. The warranty will now be 3 years 60,000 miles. I think he said the change would take effect with the 2016 model year.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-29-2015, 05:28 PM   #38
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
One thing that doesn't get mentioned here is the difference in ride.
I drive my Chevy 2500 HD every day. Day in and day out.
For 25 years I've been driving them.
I have bought 5 Chevys and Fords new off the lot.
And ya know, even new they ride like a rough old truck.
When we go hunting we take my buddy's 1/2 ton Chevy and the ride on that is SO much nicer than mine.
Put 8 hours in a 3/4 ton and your butt is weary.
Not so bad in a 1/2 ton.
Another thing I have wondered about is some folks and their 1 ton pickups.
I think that is complete overkill for ANY AS and I wonder how that rough ride affects the AS.
All that pounding all the time. I would think it would loosen rivets, cause interior parts to settle, wreak havoc on all the systems in the AS and cause all your dishes to crack, not to mention shake up your beer.
I would be willing to bet if people had used those rough old trucks when these vintage trailers were new there would be fewer of them left today.
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:30 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
yah know, my 1 ton rides just a bit stiffer than the 3/4 ton PUs i have owned in the past. it is much quieter than our SUV and has more carrying capacity than, i think, we can use. i have owned 1/2 tons, both Ford and Toyota, but for serious towing duty, i want a truck. the trucks of the past were very rough riders, no longer that way. go test drive all of the available choices, as i did, and make up your own mind. the opinions expressed here are after the fact so it will be important for YOU to drive and come to your own conclusionsl
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:43 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
We have many 1 ton Duramax/Allison trucks at work. Some ride really smooth like a car. Some beat your brains out. It seems like a newer Silverado LTZ rides much better than an older base model. The newer ones ride as if you are not in a 1 ton at all- better than the older 3/4 tons. You have to look around to remind yourself you are in a 1 ton. We buy them used, and it seems to matter who had them first. Trucks from horse people and RV people are super clean in like-new condition. Trucks from farmers or construction workers or that were used for off-roaring are beat down and ragged.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955