Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
My rear end...

in my truck is mis-behaving again. For the third time my limited slip has failed. The first two times it was replaced under warrenty. Now I am faced with having to pay to have it replaced myself. It is a Ford manufactured rear axle. I was hoping it was Dana. No luck. The only replacement parts for the limited slip are available from Ford. Parts $200, Labor at least $500. It is a "10.5". I talked with a local 4 wheel shop and found I can get a manually locking rear end much like the front. It works under air pressure. This is much like ones you see in rock crawlers. The only problem. cost around $1500. Double that of replacing my limited slip.

Any one else have a limited slip rear end and having as many problems as I have?

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Ford says--- Build Ford Tough!!! What they don't say is that means it's a piece of cr@# that will fall apart as soon as the useless warrantee runs out. That's what "Ford Tough" really means.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Michelle, I know you're not a truck mechanic, but do you know what parts failed? There's not a lot there, as far as the limited slip, some springs, a couple of contact plates, and a set of clutches.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Is your L/S a clutch pack, or electronically locking? I had a local shop (They have a couple of locations in the U.S.... Randy's Ring & Pinion. The Differential Experts. Auto Parts & Services.) put my clutch pack in... it's been a lifesaver, and reliable too! What part of it is failing? Is it the bearings? If the pinion angle isn't right, it will burn up the bearings real fast (my Astro had this issue). If it's the clutch packs, I'm not sure why. I do know I've got synthetic gear oil in mine..

I'm not sure you'd want a air locker.. I believe they LOCK for good, and don't allow any side/ side differential.. which would be fine in snow and ice, but not usable anywhere else. I think a Torsen gear pack would be great, but also expensive (I think it was around $1000 4 years ago).

I know your truck warrentee is out, but how long has it been since the diff's been replaced? Usually there's a 1 yr warrentee on these kind of things...

Good luck!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I think I explained this before. Limited slip is just what it says, LIMITED. If the traction loss between the two wheels is around 250lbs or less, this will allow the other wheel to help keep you moving. [wet street, ice, sand, or snow] But if one wheel is stuck, and you spin the other wheel trying to move, you just burned up your clutches. If this is how you are driving this truck, you need something like a Detoit Locker that works with gears, not clutches. This is not a Ford defect. Also I believe Auburn makes a vacuum operated locker that locks solid only when you activate it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Hope Valley , Rhode Island
Ford also uses a friction modifier lube that has to be used along with required lube (more than likely synthetic oil) or destriction to the rear-end will occur.

Louis
bizetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:30 AM   #7

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Michelle, I know you're not a truck mechanic, but do you know what parts failed? There's not a lot there, as far as the limited slip, some springs, a couple of contact plates, and a set of clutches.
Terry,
I have seen the clutch pack the last time they replaced it. According to the parts diagram for the Limited Slip there is about a dozen parts in the package including shims.
I have lost faith that any one can install and adjust it properly. They seem to be adjusting it for pavement use. I need it for loose dirt, slick mud and loose gravel.
My car has better traction control that my truck!

Old 08-23-2009, 08:31 AM   #8

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizetwo View Post
Ford also uses a friction modifier lube that has to be used along with required lube (more than likely synthetic oil) or destriction to the rear-end will occur.

Louis
Louis,
I made sure the friction modifier was installed the last time.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:39 AM   #9

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I think I explained this before. Limited slip is just what it says, LIMITED. If the traction loss between the two wheels is around 250lbs or less, this will allow the other wheel to help keep you moving. [wet street, ice, sand, or snow] But if one wheel is stuck, and you spin the other wheel trying to move, you just burned up your clutches. If this is how you are driving this truck, you need something like a Detroit Locker that works with gears, not clutches. This is not a Ford defect. Also I believe Auburn makes a vacuum operated locker that locks solid only when you activate it.
The nice gentleman (seriously) at Inland Truck in Missoula explained my options. They could replace the Clutch pack. Not an option. They could install the Detroit locker which is a mechanical locking device based on the rotation of one tire and not the other. Noisy and would lock up turn corners. Not an option. He also explained the manual locker. I believe Auburn was the company name but after the price check I didn't remember much else.

The manual locker is what I want. I got my truck up one two wheels about a week ago. one front, one rear. I was stuck until I engaged 4 High which locked the front end. I was then able to back out.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #10

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Is your L/S a clutch pack, or electronically locking? I had a local shop (They have a couple of locations in the U.S.... Randy's Ring & Pinion. The Differential Experts. Auto Parts & Services.) put my clutch pack in... it's been a lifesaver, and reliable too! What part of it is failing? Is it the bearings? If the pinion angle isn't right, it will burn up the bearings real fast (my Astro had this issue). If it's the clutch packs, I'm not sure why. I do know I've got synthetic gear oil in mine..

I'm not sure you'd want a air locker.. I believe they LOCK for good, and don't allow any side/ side differential.. which would be fine in snow and ice, but not usable anywhere else. I think a Torsen gear pack would be great, but also expensive (I think it was around $1000 4 years ago).

I know your truck warrentee is out, but how long has it been since the diff's been replaced? Usually there's a 1 yr warrentee on these kind of things...

Good luck!
Marc
Marc,
It is a clutch pack. I wish I had electronic traction control like the current F-250s.
For getting to my property out of town I need to able to have true 4 wheel drive if I get stuck. the current situation only gives me two wheel drive in the front. I need the rear to lock up like the front.

The last replacement is well out of warrenty. I don't test the LS often I only know it's non-funtional when I get stuck.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:49 AM   #11

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
Ford says--- Build Ford Tough!!! What they don't say is that means it's a piece of cr@# that will fall apart as soon as the useless warrantee runs out. That's what "Ford Tough" really means.
I did not start this thread to have my trucks warrenty or quality based. The Limited slip is the only problem I have had in the 70,000 miles of driving her. Most of it towing my Classic 31. It has seen heavy service and performed well. Flame elsewhere please.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Michelle- how did you know it was the rear-end? I mean, what were the symptoms?
Old 08-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Kennewick , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to shermybaby
From Randy's...

Auburn Gear High Performance Positraction for Ford 10.25" and 10.5" (full-float). The Auburn Gear limited slip uses a long-proven cone design to provide traction for performance and off-road applications. Auburn warranties their units for one year against manufacturing defects. These units are non-rebuildable.

Detroit Locker for Ford 10.25" and 10.5" full float differential. The Detroit Locker provides maximum traction for off-road or racing use. The heavy-duty case and internals provide a dramatic increase in strength while giving 100% torque to both tires. The mechanically-operated unit works by locking while under power and unlocking when you let off the gas, allowing you to turn. Unit comes standard with a one year warranty against workmanship defects.

The (Ford) Trac Loc is a less aggressive, street-friendly limited slip suitable for daily driven vehicles and mild off-road use.

From me...

I have several friends that are farmers and cattle ranchers and really work the trucks they drive. The Ford drivers swear by the detroit locker. It locks under power and most of the drivers I know are not driving through corners with enough power to engage the locking function.

The really severe drivers are spending more money on repairs and that is to be expected. Those guys take their rigs out in places that would scare a mountain goat!.

If you call the differential shops and ask opinions from them which type you shoud use given your driving conditions you will get a better solution than letting Ford fix what you have. You already know that will not work for long.

IMO the Detroit Locker is the best option for you since you are off-road a lot but you should let the real experts help you decide.

My Ford is a 1975 F250 Highboy with full time four wheel drive, a high and low transfer case, and sealed knuckles. It is a great 4X4 but takes a country mile to turn it around. It is the rig I learned to drive in and it is now a third generation truck and mostly a play toy now. I plan to pass it to my son. More frequently I drive my 1999 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4.
shermybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #14
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Having done quite a few 8.8 gear changes, I can tell you that the clutch pack is probably the problem, that you feel you are having. Not a difficult repair if you want to do it yourself...

There HAS to be a compromise between being able to drive on the street and being able to drive on dirt snow etc, and limited slip is the answer used, for good reason, on most all standard trucks.

might I suggest a slightly different and less costly option to the locker? and one that can travel with you to your next truck?

A winch. A good winch used properly will allow you to self extract from some really gnarley stuff.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #15

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
Michelle- how did you know it was the rear-end? I mean, what were the symptoms?
The rear end will not drive both tires at the same time when one get's stuck.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #16

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermybaby View Post
From Randy's...

Auburn Gear High Performance Positraction for Ford 10.25" and 10.5" (full-float). The Auburn Gear limited slip uses a long-proven cone design to provide traction for performance and off-road applications. Auburn warranties their units for one year against manufacturing defects. These units are non-rebuildable.

Detroit Locker for Ford 10.25" and 10.5" full float differential. The Detroit Locker provides maximum traction for off-road or racing use. The heavy-duty case and internals provide a dramatic increase in strength while giving 100% torque to both tires. The mechanically-operated unit works by locking while under power and unlocking when you let off the gas, allowing you to turn. Unit comes standard with a one year warranty against workmanship defects.

The (Ford) Trac Loc is a less aggressive, street-friendly limited slip suitable for daily driven vehicles and mild off-road use.
As stated the Ford limited slip system is not working for me. I am not looking for a racing or rock crawling. I need real 4 wheel drive. I will check out the positraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermybaby View Post
From me...

I have several friends that are farmers and cattle ranchers and really work the trucks they drive. The Ford drivers swear by the detroit locker. It locks under power and most of the drivers I know are not driving through corners with enough power to engage the locking function.

The really severe drivers are spending more money on repairs and that is to be expected. Those guys take their rigs out in places that would scare a mountain goat!.

If you call the differential shops and ask opinions from them which type you shoud use given your driving conditions you will get a better solution than letting Ford fix what you have. You already know that will not work for long.

IMO the Detroit Locker is the best option for you since you are off-road a lot but you should let the real experts help you decide.

My Ford is a 1975 F250 Highboy with full time four wheel drive, a high and low transfer case, and sealed knuckles. It is a great 4X4 but takes a country mile to turn it around. It is the rig I learned to drive in and it is now a third generation truck and mostly a play toy now. I plan to pass it to my son. More frequently I drive my 1999 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4.
I will look further into the Detroit Locker. I only have a few places in town to go. Every one keeps telling me to go to one place. I will go back and ask about the Positraction.

If the Positraction is the answer then I can swap the rear end myself. If it requires a removal/rebuild then i leave it to the professionals.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
so, will the diff fail completely if left unserviced?
Old 08-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
As a former serious off roader I can tell you a Detroit Locker could not be beat a compromise was the Truetrac less expensive and no clutches.

Detroit Locker was sold to Eaton (I think) so I don't know if it is the same locker.
The Detroit Locker would really make a noise engaging while you could hardly tell when the Truetrac locked up. I don't know if the Truetrac is still available but if it is it would be the one I would go for.

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #19

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota's Dad View Post
Having done quite a few 8.8 gear changes, I can tell you that the clutch pack is probably the problem, that you feel you are having. Not a difficult repair if you want to do it yourself...

There HAS to be a compromise between being able to drive on the street and being able to drive on dirt snow etc, and limited slip is the answer used, for good reason, on most all standard trucks.

might I suggest a slightly different and less costly option to the locker? and one that can travel with you to your next truck?

A winch. A good winch used properly will allow you to self extract from some really gnarley stuff.
The compromise of limited slip is not working. I am looking for a rear end that will drive both tires effectively. I only want to use the front end to get me un-stuck. If that does not work. A winch is a good option.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:54 PM   #20
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Michelle,

Some good info here....Positraction LockRights - Drivetrain.com

Good Luck..