Old 08-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe View Post
Michelle- how did you know it was the rear-end? I mean, what were the symptoms?
The rear end will not drive both tires at the same time when one get's stuck.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:03 PM   #16

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by shermybaby View Post
From Randy's...

Auburn Gear High Performance Positraction for Ford 10.25" and 10.5" (full-float). The Auburn Gear limited slip uses a long-proven cone design to provide traction for performance and off-road applications. Auburn warranties their units for one year against manufacturing defects. These units are non-rebuildable.

Detroit Locker for Ford 10.25" and 10.5" full float differential. The Detroit Locker provides maximum traction for off-road or racing use. The heavy-duty case and internals provide a dramatic increase in strength while giving 100% torque to both tires. The mechanically-operated unit works by locking while under power and unlocking when you let off the gas, allowing you to turn. Unit comes standard with a one year warranty against workmanship defects.

The (Ford) Trac Loc is a less aggressive, street-friendly limited slip suitable for daily driven vehicles and mild off-road use.
As stated the Ford limited slip system is not working for me. I am not looking for a racing or rock crawling. I need real 4 wheel drive. I will check out the positraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermybaby View Post
From me...

I have several friends that are farmers and cattle ranchers and really work the trucks they drive. The Ford drivers swear by the detroit locker. It locks under power and most of the drivers I know are not driving through corners with enough power to engage the locking function.

The really severe drivers are spending more money on repairs and that is to be expected. Those guys take their rigs out in places that would scare a mountain goat!.

If you call the differential shops and ask opinions from them which type you shoud use given your driving conditions you will get a better solution than letting Ford fix what you have. You already know that will not work for long.

IMO the Detroit Locker is the best option for you since you are off-road a lot but you should let the real experts help you decide.

My Ford is a 1975 F250 Highboy with full time four wheel drive, a high and low transfer case, and sealed knuckles. It is a great 4X4 but takes a country mile to turn it around. It is the rig I learned to drive in and it is now a third generation truck and mostly a play toy now. I plan to pass it to my son. More frequently I drive my 1999 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4.
I will look further into the Detroit Locker. I only have a few places in town to go. Every one keeps telling me to go to one place. I will go back and ask about the Positraction.

If the Positraction is the answer then I can swap the rear end myself. If it requires a removal/rebuild then i leave it to the professionals.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:05 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
so, will the diff fail completely if left unserviced?
Old 08-23-2009, 06:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
As a former serious off roader I can tell you a Detroit Locker could not be beat a compromise was the Truetrac less expensive and no clutches.

Detroit Locker was sold to Eaton (I think) so I don't know if it is the same locker.
The Detroit Locker would really make a noise engaging while you could hardly tell when the Truetrac locked up. I don't know if the Truetrac is still available but if it is it would be the one I would go for.

Garry
Old 08-23-2009, 06:27 PM   #19

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota's Dad View Post
Having done quite a few 8.8 gear changes, I can tell you that the clutch pack is probably the problem, that you feel you are having. Not a difficult repair if you want to do it yourself...

There HAS to be a compromise between being able to drive on the street and being able to drive on dirt snow etc, and limited slip is the answer used, for good reason, on most all standard trucks.

might I suggest a slightly different and less costly option to the locker? and one that can travel with you to your next truck?

A winch. A good winch used properly will allow you to self extract from some really gnarley stuff.
The compromise of limited slip is not working. I am looking for a rear end that will drive both tires effectively. I only want to use the front end to get me un-stuck. If that does not work. A winch is a good option.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:54 PM   #20
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Michelle,

Some good info here....Positraction LockRights - Drivetrain.com

Good Luck..

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:06 AM   #21
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
The compromise of limited slip is not working. I am looking for a rear end that will drive both tires effectively. I only want to use the front end to get me un-stuck. If that does not work. A winch is a good option.
Don't take this wrong, but it is working (the compromise). If you ever have the joy of driving a locked rear wheel drive on pavement you will know why you want it unlocked as soon as you make your first turn. I ran with a "spool" which is a type of locked rear end for about a year in my daily driver mustang. trust me you really don't want to put up with that if you don't have to. There is no way to set up clutch packs in any limited slip differential to always lock up when you want them to.

If going to a locker is the only answer you want to hear, then ARB is good, but requires an air source to lock and unlock, no big thing, just part of the deal. Eaton and Auburn are talked of well where I race.

What I learned in 20+ years of working on and using many types of off road vehicles for a living, is true four wheel drive allows you to get twice as stuck as two wheel or open diff four wheel drive. Not a great thing to have happen, because it's twice as hard to get unstuck.

honestly, a winch is cheaper, more versatile and portable to your future vehicle...

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:03 PM   #22

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
After much research and reading I have decided to go with an ARB air locker. The most expensive option. No surprise there. Seems I gravitate to expensive things.
I looked long and hard at the Detroit Locker. I would prefer to have direct control of the locking of the rear end.

The ARB air locker will be about 30% more expensive. I will pay this for direct control of the rear end. ARB does not have an Electric locker for my truck. That would have cheaper and easier.

At least I will always have an on board air compressor! I can inflate my tires and my rear air bags. I will no longer have to carry a compressor and generator.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I think you made a wise decision. Limited slip was not designed for what you wanted it to do, now you know. I'm glad you have seen the light; I don't think you would have gone cheap on an airplane, so why go cheap with your truck and trailer. I'm sure you will be happy. I will be calling you to pull me out when I get stuck with my Lincoln.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
check out West Coast differentials near Sacramento...

About Us

They have everything you need! I changed the gears in my 89 Bronco to 4.10's and decided to put in an electric type locking diff in the rear, and a Detroit Trutrak in the frt diff - a buddy with a gear shop did the set-up of the gears for me and it's been a great setup for 5 years...

I decided to go for some 4.56 gears in our F-350 pickup that has a big Lance camper on it...I had West Coast Diff's supply the parts AND they did the labor...I had them put a Detroit TruTrak in the rear diff, but left the front diff alone, as I didn't expect to need it with the camper rig...they did the entire job in one day for about $2K!...that setup has also worked great for about 3 years, and has seen several off-road trips, including beach time in Baja...

The original Ford limited slip diff's just don't stand up to much hard running, off road, from what I've heard from others...the Trutrak works great for the use I've put it through, but I don't run much ice and snow, however...and I believe I've read where a selectable, full 'locking' rear diff can be real 'hairy' on icy roads, but don't know from personal experience...

Good luck...in any event, get someone that knows his way around differentials so that the gears are set up properly, and install a new bearing set - they're rather cheap in the whole scheme of things...
Old 08-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #25

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
check out West Coast differentials near Sacramento...

About Us

They have everything you need! I changed the gears in my 89 Bronco to 4.10's and decided to put in an electric type locking diff in the rear, and a Detroit Trutrak in the frt diff - a buddy with a gear shop did the set-up of the gears for me and it's been a great setup for 5 years...
I have no need to change the ratio of my rear end. 3.73 is fine with the diesel and the loads I tow.
Quote:

I decided to go for some 4.56 gears in our F-350 pickup that has a big Lance camper on it...I had West Coast Diff's supply the parts AND they did the labor...I had them put a Detroit TruTrak in the rear diff, but left the front diff alone, as I didn't expect to need it with the camper rig...they did the entire job in one day for about $2K!...that setup has also worked great for about 3 years, and has seen several off-road trips, including beach time in Baja...

The original Ford limited slip diff's just don't stand up to much hard running, off road, from what I've heard from others...the Trutrak works great for the use I've put it through, but I don't run much ice and snow, however...and I believe I've read where a selectable, full 'locking' rear diff can be real 'hairy' on icy roads, but don't know from personal experience...
Agreed the LS does not stand up to what I want or need it to do. I cannot access my property in the winter without it. I have read that a full locking rear has more of a tendancy to slide on ice. That is why we have studded tires around here in the winter.
Quote:

Good luck...in any event, get someone that knows his way around differentials so that the gears are set up properly, and install a new bearing set - they're rather cheap in the whole scheme of things...
They are going to install a new bearing set but the ring gear will remain original.

Thanks for the info.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:23 PM   #26

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Well it's done. This morning I had the ARB air locker installed. I spent a lot of time getting the air compressor and air tank mounted. It turned out well. I welded up a steel platform, bolted it to the frame and mounted the compressor and two gallon air tank on the platform. I now have the capability to inflate whatever if necessary. Oh it is also connected to my air bag system as well.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:45 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Well, if you were running "bags," you were halfway to the ARB. I still think the TrueTrac is a good technology... although after getting stuck this past weekend, the next truck is going to be a four-wheel drive.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #28

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
Well, if you were running "bags," you were halfway to the ARB. I still think the TrueTrac is a good technology... although after getting stuck this past weekend, the next truck is going to be a four-wheel drive.
Most four wheel drive systems are two wheel drive. One front one rear. Unless you have locking differntials or traction control. I was told by the service tech where I had my air locker installed that the front only locks one front wheel. I am not sure about that. I will find out this weekend. Extra weight in the back will help as well.