Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2015, 11:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Colorado Springs , Colorado
My observations of a Power Wagon as a tow vehicle

Okay, this post isn't about whether a Power Wagon would make a good tow vehicle or not. My wife and I own one and these are my observations. I just finished pulling my 27' FB over the weekend. The PW had plenty of power pulling the AS through the Colorado rockies. 6.4 liters of Hemi and a 6 speed transmission is a great combination. It also has 4.10 gears. My average mpg was 11.5 during the trip. In my opinion not to shabby. I had the trailer brakes set on heavy at 9.5. That may be too much, but they did not lock up. Nor did the AS push the truck around. The braking in general was very smooth. No complaints. So, I feel that I made a very good decision on choosing the PW as my tow vehicle. Plus it can also go on jeep trails when I want to.

Zane and Diane
CORockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:20 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Uncle Hubie had a PW....never saw the highway, toed a lot though.

Stream Happy......

Bob
Old 10-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #3
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Good to know, I've been considering the Power Wagon as an upgrade to our 1500. We're offroad enthusiast and that's been holding me back from outright 3/4 ton, most just aren't nimble offroad and are too big. But the Power Wagon with solid front and rear axles and both lockers has some nice added features that make it attractive.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Robert,

That old Power Wagon looks pretty cool. I'll take it even though I don't need it.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:01 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Yes, that old Power Wagon is cool! You don't see to many that are that nice. Now mine has been off-road a few times. Nothing hard core. So far I have been impressed with its abilities. The ride on it is similar to a half-ton. When my wife said she wanted an Airstream I told her we should get a 3/4 ton. I realize that 1/2 tons can pull the weight of a 27'. None of them can do any serious off-roading without modifying them. The Power Wagon was the perfect choice for us.

Zane and Diane
Old 10-20-2015, 07:42 AM   #6
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Well a Ford Raptor can do serious offroading and so can the new Ram Rebel right off the showroom floor. We modified ours. I just did some researching, looks like the Power Wagon only got the 6.4 in 2014 and prior had the 5.7 hemi with a 4:56 rear end. Far less used on the market right now after 2012.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
Smile love power wagons

[QUOTE=ROBERT CROSS;1698794]Uncle Hubie had a PW....never saw the highway, to

wish I owned it
moxie t. moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:40 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
The Raptor was designed for Baja racing. Not jeep trails. Plus it is only rated for 6000 pounds. Our 27' weighs more than that. So the Ford was never on my list for those reasons. The Rebel is very nice. I do like it. However, it has no locking differentials or winch. Most likely it never will since the Power Wagon is in the same stable. Had the Rebel not been a first year model the dealership might have been willing to negotiate the price. They were willing to deal with the Power Wagon. Anyway, we will be heading out again this weekend. I'll post up on how the truck does this time.

Zane and Diane
Old 10-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #9
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
That's a misnomer. The Raptor features long travel suspension, and that is great for jeep trails. And the 2014 is rated to tow 8000lbs and the engine is the same one in the gaser F250. (Not a Ford guy)

If we're honest, trucks aren't ideal for jeep trails, you want a short wheelbase. Of course, one's definition of jeep trails can vary pretty widely. I'm not really into the "rock crawling"/bouncing off rocks and tearing **** up crowd. More into the overland long travel offroad expo type stuff. Hit up plenty of alpine and desert trails that are technical.

But that's the compromise you make if you tow. I had an expo rig for a long time (posted pictures around here somewhere), we came out here to Moab and hit the trails a lot. So part of my setup has been to balance between stable towing and an expo rig. I have a mild adjustable lift, 4.10's, 35 inch tires, onboard air. The downside is the power on hills on the highway isn't quite as good. Over the scales I'm spot on for payload. This is why I've been thinking a bit more about the Power Wagon. Just the overall weight of the thing.

Good report though.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . how bout some pics of your rig ? ? Sounds good to me. What year is your PW ? You should bring it to our 4CU NYE rally @ Picacho Peak, AZ, then we can SEE it :-) You would certainly be welcome, Regards, Craig
Old 10-23-2015, 12:59 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
The PW is a 2016. I am still having problems uploading pictures to this site. Must be missing something. The odd thing is that I did upload a picture to the Airstream gallery. You'll see a bluish truck with an Airstream and the Rockies behind them both. To Bold, it sounds like you may need to regear to 4.56's or 4.88's. As to jeep trails I rate them from 1 to 10. As long as the PW can get me through an 8 I am happy. You are right that a tow vehicle is a compromise. Not sure what the payload of your 1500 is, but if you do get a PW you might want to look at the Tradesman version. It has a 1800 pound payload if my memory serves me correctly. Softer spring sis the reason for the lower payload. Otherwise it would be well over 3000 pounds.

Zane and Diane
Old 10-23-2015, 06:36 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Riverside , California
Carli Suspension makes long travel airbags for the Ram trucks,so if the pw rear springs need a lil bit more to handle hi tw they have you covered.I have them on mine and only run about 20 psi.That is carring a quad,dirt bike and firewood along with the airstream.
My rear springs are lighter than stock for more travel off road at speed
2015 Toyota Tacoma trd 4x4
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4x4
Bob4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:08 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
I heard of Carli from another forum. Good to know that everyone has good things to say about them. Down the road I may look into them. Thanks for the information.

Zane and Diane
Old 10-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #14
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Tuff Trucks makes springs at higher capacities to for 1/2 & 3/4 tons. I run them in the rear of mine.

I really like the Power Wagon, just can't make up my mind. I will certainly BS about it long enough though. I'm up in the air between the PW or just getting a diesel.

If I was made out of money... AEV prospector:

I'm sure it's payload is crap. One can dream... Maybe the kids don't have to go to college...

Ok, done hijacking your thread. Forgive this car nut.
Old 10-24-2015, 06:30 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
That's a misnomer. The Raptor features long travel suspension, and that is great for jeep trails. And the 2014 is rated to tow 8000lbs and the engine is the same one in the gaser F250. (Not a Ford guy)

If we're honest, trucks aren't ideal for jeep trails, you want a short wheelbase. Of course, one's definition of jeep trails can vary pretty widely. I'm not really into the "rock crawling"/bouncing off rocks and tearing **** up crowd. More into the overland long travel offroad expo type stuff. Hit up plenty of alpine and desert trails that are technical.

But that's the compromise you make if you tow. I had an expo rig for a long time (posted pictures around here somewhere), we came out here to Moab and hit the trails a lot. So part of my setup has been to balance between stable towing and an expo rig. I have a mild adjustable lift, 4.10's, 35 inch tires, onboard air. The downside is the power on hills on the highway isn't quite as good. Over the scales I'm spot on for payload. This is why I've been thinking a bit more about the Power Wagon. Just the overall weight of the thing.

Good report though.
You're right, if you've ever gotten a long wheelbase truck high sided, you'll know.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
yea, I've heard the extra weight if the Cummings in front isn't so good for off-road. Is that true?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:47 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
I've been using my '13 Power Wagon as our TV for a few years now. I wouldn't trade it for anything! But like any vehicle, after a period of time you notice things you wish the manufacturer would have done differently. My list of improvements would be small however.... #1 larger gas tank! I seriously hope the newer upgrades have a gas tank that will hold more than 27 gallons..... While towing (aprox average 9mpg) I'm looking for gas much more than I'd prefer and usually have to take the gas cans with me.
The only other thing I'd like is more payload, but honestly, isn't this true of almost EVERY factory truck?
It has performed flawlessly since new and with the Hensley it tows like a dream. In 2013 the Power Wagons came with the 5.7 gas Hemi and 5 speed tranny, I debated waiting for the upgraded model, but at $38,900 out the door new, I couldn't resist.

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
It seems to me towing and more extreme off roading is not inclusive. One function would be compromised for the other I would think a 4x4 truck would handle most 4x4 situations except for jeep trails. Maybe the only solution is a motorhome with an extreme 4x4 vehicle in tow.

I would also not want to jeopardize the tow vehicle in extreme 4x4 conditions. It gets damaged and you are out of a tow vehicle.

Kelvin
Old 10-27-2015, 12:48 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Well, we got back from another outing. Like the last time the truck performed flawlessly. My mileage was still at 11.5 mpg. The one thing that I am learning is that other people drive like idiots when you are towing a trailer. That just blows me away!
Anyway, two reasons why the PW does not have a cummins. First is the winch is placed where the intercooler would be. Second, it adds too much weight to the front end which is not good for a trail vehicle.
To Truxpin you got a smashing deal on your truck. I am jealous! Now my PW holds 32 gallons of gas. That is a plus, but you have more payload since your PW is lighter. Heck of a trade off.
To KJRitchie I don't intend to take this vehicle on extreme trails. It will take us to those spots away from everyone when we want to pitch a tent. With a built in winch, lockers and disconnecting sway bar it will go where most stock 4x4 trucks won't. That was part of the allure.
To Bold it sounds like you might need to regear your truck. That would be cheaper than buying a new PW. However, if that is what you are leaning towards I would suggest , IMO, getting the tradesman version. It has a higher payload and tow rating if that is what you are looking for. We did not get that version because we got a great deal on our Laramie.

Zane and Diane
Old 10-28-2015, 07:26 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CORockies View Post
I don't intend to take this vehicle on extreme trails. It will take us to those spots away from everyone when we want to pitch a tent. With a built in winch, lockers and disconnecting sway bar it will go where most stock 4x4 trucks won't. That was part of the allure.
Zane and Diane
EXACTLY! I use my winch more for getting other people out of trouble, than I do for myself. The hardest part, while out "having fun" on the trails is to keep it away from trees and other hazzards that are constantly trying to bombard the body. It's a triple duty truck (Play Toy, Tow Vehicle & Grocery Getter), so unfortunately I gotta "baby" it a bit

PS.... If your into "remote" camping with the Power Wagon, you might be interested in this... Gets you up & off the ground when your way out off the beaten path. Not the cheapest tent I've ever bought, but I'm pretty sure it'll be the last one. Nice high quality cotton canvas & aluminum pole structure and it pack down to a few small storage bags when your done.

Truck Tents

Fulltime in 2013 and LOVING it !!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote